City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capthead View Post
Please show me testing to prove, loss of internal rust resistance of syn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capthead View Post
I do know the synthetic has a long chain molecule as all reports show that and one end is a magnet and when it coats the metal block, it sticks there so I have to be shown that corrosion could happen. I know I get rust on anything I sprayed with WD40 after a small amount of time. That doesn't last.
The middle of that chain is a strong binder and the end is super slick. That is the makeup of a synthetic oil molecule.
Poly((x-olefms) or PAOs, polyol esters and diesters are used in automotive and marine engine oils. To understand how an ester lubricates, it is important to consider its behavior in the different lubrication regimes, especially boundary lubrication when the properties of the bulk lubricant (e.g. viscosity) are of minor importance. The chemical properties of the lubricant responses under extreme conditions will become increasingly important. The polar ester will preferentially stick to the surface of metal when a small amount of ester is added to a low viscosity nonpolar fluid (PAO), (Randies, 1999; Spikes, 1999). When the two metal surfaces come closer together, the polar ester molecules stay in the contact zone.

Since ester groups are polar, may compete at the metal surface with any polar additive (corrosion inhibitors or antiwear agents).

Pawlak, Zenon. Tribology and Interface Engineering, Volume 45 : Tribochemistry of Lubricating Oils.
Kidlington, GBR: Elsevier Science & Technology, 2003.
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote