Chain Hook WITH tripline-point

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supertramp

Vessel Name
" Supertramp "
Vessel Make
Marine Trader Widebody 50 feet
Anybody knows an Chain Hook WITH tripline-point?

A good sized sailboat snap shackle with an added trip line might work.

Anybody knows an Chain Hook WITH tripline-point?

Are you talking about a tripline for the anchor???

Or a hook that you can remotely release from the chain?

The second is possible with a pelican hook that any decent marine store may have or carry...but I doubt I would use a boating one unless it was specifically for chain....(bigger ones that I think would match chain strength wount fit though the links and wrapping around the links just looks like a wrong fit.

I have seen chain rigging pelican hooks that truckers use...you might try some reasearch along those lines.

Are you talking about a tripline for the anchor???

Or a hook that you can remotely release from the chain?

The second is possible with a pelican hook that any decent marine store may have or carry...but I doubt I would use a boating one unless it was specifically for chain....(bigger ones that I think would match chain strength wount fit though the links and wrapping around the links just looks like a wrong fit.

I have seen chain rigging pelican hooks that truckers use...you might try some reasearch along those lines.

Sorry perhaps the name " tripline " is not correct but i think the line for the Hook,

" a hook that you can remotely release from the chain? "

Yes !
I send a Photo..." when i can ".

Yes - i can,
This is my selfmade-model- in this Photo without tripline.

Last edited:
Like this:

Two%20Anchors%20at%20Nelson.JPG

:)

Like this:

Two%20Anchors%20at%20Nelson.JPG

:)
I think I see the source of your avatar:)
Defender has a good chain fitting Earl Hinz approves (Complete Book of Anchoring & Mooring) for snubber line chain attachment but it`s not cheap. I use a bearclaw hook which Hinz criticizes for uneven chain loading.

I have to admit I've never had an all chain rode so no actual experience, but won't most chain hooks or plates just fall off the chain if you unload them?

s0476234_sc7

Yes they will.
That's why once the grabber is on the chain and you have let out enough snubber line to satisfy you, you also then let out more chain so chain is hanging from both sides of the grabber. That way there is always load on the grabber.

Hopcar, Your "Sea Dog" is a type Hinz says is good (he calls it a "bridled grabber"), it seems to put an even load on the link that sits into it, the load is in the pull direction of the snubber line. The second "claw" or "grab hook" type you show, which I have, is "not recommended" by Hinz,it sits transversely across a link against the link above, the upward pull is not aligned with the chain.Lots of people use them.
With the chosen device in place and its line cleated, you let go some chain, the load shifts to the snubber line, off the chain which becomes slack, unloading the windlass. The gadget can, but rarely comes loose in the process. With load on it, it can`t come loose.
Your "Sea Dog" use 2 lines, the claw uses one. Defender`s "Captain Hook" Chain Snubber is pictured with one line, Hinz calls this a "devil`s claw"and rates it good. Check it online, in my older catalog, it`s item 000141(to5/16") or 000465(to1/2"),to me it looks better than the one Hinz shows with bent over metal prongs. Hinz has a 3rd one, a "Devil`s Claw Hook" he rates excellent.
I have rubber mooring snubber in the line to my claw. I will be interested what you think.
Hinz references: p117,3rd edn,"Complete Book of Anchoring and Mooring"(as recommended by Marin).

It doesn't have a trip line, but I use the Shockles ion a snubber to provide some 'give' if anchored on all chain. Since I have 120 ft of chain, then 240 ft of Brait rode, I find myself on chain only in shallow anchorages of 15-40 ft in mild conditions. A simple carabiner provides the connection. It's only there to soften the impact during surges. The windlass remains engaged but there is no load on it unless the snubber fails. (You can see an artist rendering of the snubber in my avatar as it was in place when the photo was taken by Giggitoni from which the painting was made.)

This works well for me. It's simple and quick to connect and remove. In severe conditions, I have more than 120 ft out and my Brait anchor rode secured to the sampson post carries the load, so no snubber is needed.

Using-Shockles-Anchor-Snubber-2-778x1024.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom