View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 02:51 PM   #4
mattkab

City: Tacoma
Vessel Name: C:\[ESC]
Vessel Model: 2002 Bayliner 4788
I do.

It's rare for me to untie the dock lines without at least a basic plan for using the tides to my advantage. Even when just going out for a fishing trip a couple miles off the dock, I want to hit slack tides, so I need to be aware. The only exception I can think of is a 1-2 hour sunset cruise with guests where we are simply going out to go out and return in short order.

I boat in the same area (moored in Tacoma and very familiar with your route), and if I do pay attention to the tides and maximize the currents, that run can be as short as 5 hours. If I don't pay attention (or mis-read the tide tables ), then it can easily take 10+ hours from Olympia to Seattle.

Also, it's fun for me to open up something like OpenCPN, or even google maps, and plan a route for a trip... and from there determine departure times to take advantage of the tides and currents.

We have even changed destinations on a weekend cruise just to adjust to the prevailing currents during our travel times. We are boating for fun, and if tides (or weather, schedules, etc) don't work out in our favor, then we simply adjust our plans.

Quote:
(2) because many boaters I know do not seem to give much thought to the tide and currents, they simply go when they are able to go.
I think this is largely the realm of the fast boats -- when you are skimming along the surface at 30kts, the impact of a 2kt current is marginal... that is, until they get caught in some nasty chop from an opposing wind.
mattkab is offline   Reply With Quote