Dinghy Running Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

troy994719

I have a hypalon inflatable that I have tried to glue a bow light mount on a few times and it will not hold. *Its the proper mount for portable lights and I did buy the glue kit from a local inflatable repair shop. Has anyone successfully glued the portable lights on an inflatable? *If you did then how did you get it to stay?

Troy, We have tried the bow light and it never stays on. For a long time we have used only a white all around light on the stern with no issues and you can mount it to the transom or have a removable one. That is unless you have a large dinghy. Chuck

I used 5200 to attach the stern light mount to the engine cowling and that worked great. This might be my next attempt on the boat. TexasParks and Wildlife laws state that you have to have a red and green light on the bow of any boat with an engine, so using just the all around while light wont work here.

Troy, We have used 5200 on dinghy repairs and it works well IF, you clean both surfaces well, apply the 5200 liberally, and apply pressure and leave it for a week. Why a week? that is how long it takes the 5200 to "cure". Chuck

For a long time we have used only a white all around light on the stern with no issues and you can mount it to the transom or have a removable one

For a dink of under 7 meters , the white all round is legal and usually easier to mount to the transom , and remove than glue on.

It aint "legal: but for ocean work we use a white all round at the masthead, boat is 33ft , about 10 meters.

Reasoning is outside distance long light is required for the big guys to happen to pass thru the wheelhouse , or perhaps turn a spoke to avoid you.

What does white all round mean to the viewer at sea?

Small boat , you are running up on.

Anchored boat , You are running up on.

Stern light , you are running up on.

All require a miss action from the viewer.

AS the Esso Maru , and her sisters are running 20K+ our sailing 5K or 6K is anchored for there purposes , and I dont worry that they would pass a 7 meter boat so close that my 9ft is at danger of hanging in their path.

Green or Red absorb almost 90% of the power passing thru the lenses, so for us the choice is easy.

Not the way we travel in inshore waters , but 1/2 way to Martinique , it saves juice and might save US!

FF

I tried a very small test spot of 5200 last week, it stuck and will not come off. Not much this stuff wont stick too, now I just need to figure out a way not to get it all over me when I use it!

I tried a very small test spot of 5200 last week, it stuck and will not come off.

If no sealing is required the PL glues (Gorilla is an expensive over hyped version) will stick to mismached surfaces , even better than 5200.

FF

"I tried a very small test spot of 5200 last week, it stuck and will not come off. Not much this stuff wont stick too, now I just need to figure out a way not to get it all over me when I use it!"

5200 is so messy if you order a tube by phone it will get all over your ear!
Steve

Steve,It is good to see your new Avatar with your vessel on the hook. How was the fishing trip?
Steve

Thanks! The fishing was great, the catching not so good. I'll post details of the trip on the Gulf Coast cruising section of the forum.
Steve

The proper glue for attaching stuff to Hypalon is the best stuff to use. get it from your inflatble dealer. If you have some that has been opened, throw it out and buy a new tube/can as it has a very short shelf life after being opened.
I attached Weaver snap davits to my Achilles inflatable and when I sold it, I removed the Weavers that had by then been on for 6 years. Removal was impossible until I used a heat gun, then was a snap.
Whenever I have tried to get more than a month or two out of the glue, it has failed. When fresh, bulletproof.

troy994719 wrote:

I tried a very small test spot of 5200 last week, it stuck and will not come off. Not much this stuff wont stick too, now I just need to figure out a way not to get it all over me when I use it!

Well it turns out the 100 degree weather we have here peeled the 5200 right off.

-- Edited by troy994719 on Friday 19th of June 2009 07:43:00 AM

No personal experience, but this sounds like it might work. It's a marine flexible epoxy.
http://www.marinetex.com/marinetexflexset.html

You could always use a suction cup mount. I did that for years.

-- Edited by Keith on Friday 19th of June 2009 08:24:57 AM

I know the last post is almost a year ago, but I just came across these neat dingy nav lights. They're called "Navisafe Red-Green". They are powered by AAA batteries in a waterproof (and floating) package. Pressing the top button gives you a red/green combination. Pressing the button again gives a white 'stern' light. I've bought two of these and mounted the magnetic bases to my Walker Bay dingy. When not in use, the lamps are removed and stored inside. But the magnetic bases are screwwed to the bow and the motor housing respectively. At night they are bright enough to light things up as you pick your way amongst other morrings - and don't wreck your night vision.

Attachments

• 20100125 dsc_6575a.jpg
    20100125 dsc_6575a.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 160
  • 20100125 dsc_6590a.jpg
    20100125 dsc_6590a.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 179

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom