Thread: Dinghy issue
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2009, 04:55 PM   #3
Phuket
Veteran Member

RE: Dinghy issue

Most likely you have some debris in the carby. *The ethanol is an effective solvent and will clean dirt from the tank and fuel lines, but this can then lodge in places restricting flow. *The worse option is that it has dissolved some rubber from your lines or some gaskets in the fuel system itself. *

I started using it in my 75 Yamaha two stroke when everything was still new but shortly afterwards I found big bits of the gasket sealant I had used on the tank cover coming through to the Racor filter, luckily nothing ever got past it. *Only once I had similar probelms to what you described and that was when I ran the tank all the way to the bottom. *After changing the filter, draining the carbs and flushing the lines it has run perfectly ever since. *

I now tend to mix about half and half gasohol and regular petrol. *You can still get both here but the gasohol is much cheaper and the engine runs fine on it. *I am most concerned about the potential of water combining with the ethanol and separating from the petrol.

Cheers, leon.
Phuket is offline   Reply With Quote