Edson davits D-64

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duvie

I just purchased these Edson Davits on Ebay. They have the brackets so that they can be mounted either to a horizontal or vertical surface. They seem like a pretty stout set up and I am thinking about installing them on my 34 Californian. The reach on them is 48 inches and the height is 36. Anyone on the forum have any experience with these? My tender is a 10 ft inflatable with a 3.3 Mercury outboard and I have a dive platform. Any do's, dont's or opinions on these would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG00364-20110617-1705.jpg
    IMG00364-20110617-1705.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 171
  • $T2eC16hHJHgE9n0yHFPhBRSgpYdvhg~~60_3.JPG
    $T2eC16hHJHgE9n0yHFPhBRSgpYdvhg~~60_3.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 333
  • $T2eC16ZHJIIE9qTYLS0rBRSgpRYvQw~~60_3.JPG
    $T2eC16ZHJIIE9qTYLS0rBRSgpRYvQw~~60_3.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 155
Very nice set of davits. What is the max weight capacity for the pair. I'm also curious about the winches, are they sail handling or are they Edson as well?

Those look nice, Duvie. Do you plan to mount them through-bolted to the back of the transom? Without a disconnect feature, they may restrict swim step access. Depending on how you use your boat, this might not be an issue for you.

I was thinking of mounting to the transom but I just found out the davits were stolen so I guess I am out of luck for now. Dont think I will be able to find anything as nice for the money either.

I'm also curious about the winches, are they sail handling or are they Edson as well?

Why two winches? Is this a two man operation in an emergency? Also, in the photo, your boat doesn't appear to have a transom door. Is this correct?

I like the look of the winches, though. They look sturdy as hell.

As with any davit that does not articulate there is a separate line to pull or winch up on each unit. I suppose you just ease down the dingy one side at a time?? No transom door on the boat but there is a hinge in the rail and the step over the gunnel is pretty easy. Wish they had not been stolen. I guess someone else just wanted them more than me.

Does that mean...
1. the guy selling them had them stolen from him after he listed them for sale but before he could sell them
or
2. he was selling stolen davits?

I don't have a transom door either, but sure wish I did. I have a rail gate on the port side of the transom and looked into having a door cut and glassed. The $4500 estimate scared me off.

Attachments

• gate.jpg
    gate.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 405
Last edited:
The guy went to grab them to ship and they were gone.

Does that mean...

I don't have a transom door either, but sure wish I did. I have a rail gate on the port side of the transom and looked into having a door cut and glassed. The $4500 estimate scared me off.

Ladder was a cheaper option than cutting the transom I am told by the PO. Works well.

Attachments

• Ladder.jpg
    Ladder.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 153
Two winches are common as the boat can be raised tilted to allow bilge water to drain.

The boat can frequently be stored tilted too help the rain water out, as a dink full of water will fail most davits.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom