Beach House Is IN The Berry Islands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice write up, I just read your Cuba trip, I enjoyed that also.

Keep up the good work on the blog, or what ever ya call it. :cool:

Dear Captain Chuck -
You are on a boat. In the Bahamas. It is not hurricane season. And you are making that sound like a bad thing that you are in a hurry to do. There are 7 BILLION people on planet Earth who would trade places with you at this very moment.

Just perspective as I listen to the rain out my window in Raleigh NC.

Fair Winds...

Ben, Quite the contrary. We sooooo much want to get out and enjoy the Bahamas. But being forced to sit in one spot for weeks because of weather is just not our style. We should be sitting down in Georgetown or hanging out in Eleuthera instead of JUST leaving Bimini. But your right, it's a matter of perspective. Chuck

Chuck,
I know you must be restless, since I've follow your blog too, you've rebuilt your whole boat. Not much to do but polish the stainless while you wait, eh?
:)

Best of luck. Very envious.

Beach House crew: Great to hear you're away from the Bimini blues. We're following the blog closely and looking forward to hearing more about those conch fritters and Rum libations.

Hi Chuck! Glad you finally were able to move. Any chance you'll go down the Berrys to Little Harbor? I have fond memories of going there with my father about fifty years ago. I'd be interested in your impressions of it now.

Love the latest boat modifications. Must have made the crossing much shorter! (I see HH's work here!)

Beach+House+on_plane1.jpg

Thanks guys. We will try and cover as much as we can but weather dictates we be secure by tomorrow afternoon so we will hunker down in Nassau for a couple of days, then try to move south. What we miss now we'll try and revisit on the trip north. Forecast for Wednesday night and Thursday is westerlies 15 to 20 and maybe stronger. Chuck

So what comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb? Haven't we all heard of the March winds? Situation normal for this time of year. I did not see any mention that the temperatures are low 80's while you are forced to wait out weather on a small semi tropical isle.....

I still have 2 feet of ice on the lake and minus 13c at night, please stop complaining.

It just doesn't want to change. We left the Berry's yesterday and had a great crossing in flat seas to Nassau. Now we're gonna be stuck here for 4 days waiting weather. I just don't know if I can take it! ;) Chuck

It just doesn't want to change. We left the Berry's yesterday and had a great crossing in flat seas to Nassau. Now we're gonna be stuck here for 4 days waiting weather. I just don't know if I can take it! ;) Chuck

Please gratuitous amounts of pictures...

Enjoy your travails...

As Mom used to say, "We all have our cross to bear." I never thought of it as a nautical crossing, but it works!!

Conch fritters!!!

Enjoying reading of your adventures... hope to follow in your wake someday...

Please gratuitous amounts of pictures...

Enjoy your travails...

Pictures may help some of us to feel your pain, more snow here today, don't think I'll share that.

I would love to do some blog postings with photos, but the internet connections are so bad here in Nassau that I haven't been able to log in to our blog for a couple of days. This is the first time I have been able to get on the forum all day. Chuck

I would love to do some blog postings with photos, but the internet connections are so bad here in Nassau that I haven't been able to log in to our blog for a couple of days. This is the first time I have been able to get on the forum all day. Chuck

But, but you have that range extending Internet antenna... And still bad, eh? Wow. I plan to install similar soon. I got equipment and get about 20 signals on the Neuse River NC, just holding the antenna in my hand.

Slow bit rates I can imagine.

You mentioned Georgetown - how far south are you planning? Photos on Google Maps are pretty spectacular.

Hi Chuck and Susan,

So I was doing the [rough] plotting. If Beach House holds 300 gallons standard, running the 120hp Ford Lehman, getting about 2.5-3 miles per gallon, then without too many side trips, you could nearly make the whole trip from Florida to Georgetown and back (600 miles) on one fill up. (Would I want to cross large distances - Gulf Stream coming back - with under half-full? Probably not, but still)

So where will you take on diesel? Will you try to minimize your Bahamian purchases? Fuel running about $5-6 per gallon? What do you use to screen suspect fuel?

Our Sand Castle has similar power (ADC 136N), so I follow your travels pretty closely (pardon the stalking, but fantastic work, your blogs/writings). Our thinking is a similar trip in the next 5+ years...

Fantastic pictures. Very motivating.

Thanks for sharing,

Ben

We may not need to fill up until we returned to Florida. We are averaging about 2.4 gallons per hour and that is running at about 7 knots. BUT, we may top off here in Nassau since the fuel is only $5.70 per gallon, close to what we paid in the US. That would allow us to make it back without buying fuel again. If for whatever reason we had to buy more fuel, we would only get what we need to get back and a little for reserve. Then fill up when we get to Florida. Chuck

How long roughly do you plan on being in the Bahamas this trip? Will you start looping right after?

We will be in the Bahamas until the end of May and then head for the Chesapeake. We plan to start the Loop but we always say our plans are written in the sand at low tide. We'll be working on finishing our Bahamas Anchorage book and starting on the Chesapeake bay Edition. Chuck

Good Answer!! How long (approximately) will you gunkhole around the Chesapeake??

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom