Cetane booster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drmnj

I have a Cummins QSL9 engine and I was recently told the diesel fuel they're selling us in Florida is really substandard. They recommended that I should always be adding a Cetane booster to the diesel fuel. I checked the Cummins specs. and they said the minimum Cetane # used should not be lower than 42 for my engine. I'm not sure what that really means and what is the Cetane # of the diesel fuel we generally get from marinas? Can someone out there help explain this & what Cetane booster do you recommend? Thanks

Who is "they"? I have never seen any issues with fuel cetane from nominally busy fuel docks or from trucks in Florida, on either coast. And I have bought many thousands of gallons down there in my time. As have the many thousands of other diesel boats there. If you are paranoid, buy ValveTech fuel or throw some PRI-D in there, but better yet go buy a nice dinner or give to to me and we'll go partners at Gulfstream.

The folks that told you FL fuel is low in cetane have what professional credentials and education? Until you get their fully vetted report, don't believe them. Let me guess, they sell biobor, startron or valvetech?

If in doubt...get the fuel tested and if you bought a boatload and it's substandard...I'm sure you'll get a rebate and the cost of cetane boosters.

From everything I have read...no one I know has ever gotten substandard diesel in the US.

Water yes...contaminents yes, bio organisms yes...but the cetane has always been 'good enough".

Hi George. I was at the Palm Beach Boat show today and a dealer for Cummins and other diesel manufacturers told me this. He did come across like a know it all and I should have been more skeptical. Not knowing much about diesel fuel I guess I was pretty gullible.

Actually it was at the Palm Beach Boat show today. I believe he was a dealer for Cummins and other diesel manufacturers. I guess I'm a bit gullible.

I live in FL...bought fuel (diesel) on both coasts...the Keys...and at Indiantown... I've never had a problem with the fuel I've bought...and never had a bad load of fuel. I do like to fuel at marinas that sell the Valvetec branded fuel....because I've never had to add any other goop to the fuel...and my filters stay clean...

All fuel just is a pipeline commodity.

The only difference in fuel used in the North is anti gell agents to keep the wax in the fuel liquid below freezing.A winter fuel hassle.

All fuel just is a pipeline commodity.

The only difference in fuel used in the North is anti gell agents to keep the wax in the fuel liquid below freezing.A winter fuel hassle.

So Valvetec is lying when they say their fuel is better?

"So Valvetec is lying when they say their fuel is better?"

Their fuel comes out the same delivery pipe as all other sellers.

IF they filter it better ,remove more dirt and water, add more useful and worthwhile additives , and keep it in cleaner tanks it might be "better".

"So Valvetec is lying when they say their fuel is better?"

Their fuel comes out the same delivery pipe as all other sellers.

IF they filter it better ,remove more dirt and water, add more useful and worthwhile additives , and keep it in cleaner tanks it might be "better".

Even at the pump you roll the dice.

I know one marina that gets miscellaneous diesel in one tank plus their "Valvetec" supply in another...but I know it gets mixed up as to which one you buy...so as they always say "buyer beware" .:socool:

Valvetech is just an additives package that is added to the fuel after delivery to the marina. I have been using it for a couple years now since that is what the fuel at my marina is and I can fuel in-slip (plus they have a good cash price). I have no empirical evidence what difference it makes, seems like the Racors last a bit longer, or perhaps I have just got lazier about changing them while they are still in the yellow zone. We don't put near as many hours iin as in the past either. The engines run very clean, no soot on the transom, etc.

I believe the key is to get fresh clean fuel at high turnover docks frequented by commercial craft, better yet if they had a recent delivery but when in transit that's luck of the draw. Ocean Petroleum in Brunswick, GA used to stop selling when there was 250 gallons at the bottom of their tank. They get almost daily deliveries. My current dock qualifies on that score too. I used to manage fuel by strategically loading up at various places that met this criteria up and down the east coast, buying right off the truck where possible. My engine manual only recommends a biocide additive if the boat is to be laid up for awhile, and is at best neutral on others.

I believe the key is to get fresh clean fuel at high turnover docks frequented by commercial craft,

YOU BET , these folks get really angry if sold a load of crap fuel, and few have had "Anger Management Classes".

Big hassle at a commercial dock is the nozzle fill will be 2 1/2 inch or larger , to fast fill those big commercial tanks.

Back
Top Bottom