Before i start my 400 mile trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You be speciic and we can be specific...otherwise the boat and a credit card with about a $50,000 limit willl be good for starters.:thumb:

I'll assume you have charts, a VHF, and are properly equipped with safety gear. And that you know the rules of the road, how to request a bridge opening, etc. And that your boat is in good shape and well maintained. If not, that would be the starting point.

But assuming you are all set with that, the next thing I would have would be ActiveCaptain running one something that loads and stores the database so you can use it without an active internet connection. It will help you find fuel stops, marinas to stay overnight, anchorages, etc.

Next I'd get a guide book or two to find out what interesting things are along the way. You might want to stop and explore a bit if time allows.

What should I need to know? What should I bring. I will be going through the ICW

"What should I need to know?" Only 3 things: Boat Handling, Seamanship, Navigation.
"What should I bring." If you do not already have the above skills, a rabbit's foot.

Greetings,
Mr. 55. As well as the above: First aid kit, sunscreen, bug dope, sun and rain protection, anti-nausea med', duct tape, rescue tape, engine spares (fan belts, oil, anti-freeze, impellers etc.), crew, binoculars, swim mask and snorkel, TOW INSURANCE, small $$ bills (for tipping), camera (you ARE going to post travel pic's right?), and PATIENCE!!!! What NOT to bring: itinerary/schedule, attitude.

Is this your first boat trip ever?

If so, I would suggest taking some shorter trips to get a feel for the boat and for what you might need.

A TowBoatUS or SeaTow membership is a must in my book. You should take some spare parts (assuming you have the tools and skills to diagnose problems and replace these parts).

You should have a marine GPS with built in charts or paper charts and know how to use them. You should have one or more cruising guides to the area you will be travelling in.

Nobody else mentioned it, but you're going to need food and water.

Spending time on the boat w/o even going anywhere can be very beneficial. And if you get holed up due to bad weather hanging out aboard can be a big safety skill.

Go ahead, go to cruise. You solve the problems when they appear. You'll have support all the time. Dont worry.

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa, Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

Go ahead, go to cruise. You solve the problems when they appear. You'll have support all the time. Dont worry.

I think that is really bad advice. Starting out on a 400 mile cruise without most of the things mentioned above could prove deadly. You can't solve problems you are not prepared for and as for "You'll have support all the time.", what support would that be and where will it come from?

Again, bad advice.:banghead:

Let me see if I understand, you go by Inter coastal? You have a lot of marinas, clubs, docks, stores,... If you go to the sea, you have to be prepared with a lot of things that you can't find in the ocean.
I just intend to incentive you to start your cruise, we never be 100% prepared.

I'm sorry, it wasn't my intention to put you in risk, just incentivize to cruise

The most important things to carry are spares such as water pump impeller, spare credit card, spare engine belts, spare checkbook, spare cash...

Let me see if I understand, you go by Inter coastal? You have a lot of marinas, clubs, docks, stores,... If you go to the sea, you have to be prepared with a lot of things that you can't find in the ocean.
I just intend to incentive you to start your cruise, we never be 100% prepared.

Assuming the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway, there are stretches where you will not pass a marina or dock for nearly 100 miles. There are stretches where you are nearly in the ocean and subject to very rough seas.

And of course, without charts, you may have difficulty staying on the ICW. It's easy to miss a turn or take a wrong turn.

Where start and where finish? Have you cruised the boat before? Do you know the boat and its quirks? How much boating have you done already?

How much provisioning do you want to do? Anchor out or dock in marinas? Read about where you think you will stay and go.

Where start and where finish? Have you cruised the boat before? Do you know the boat and its quirks? How much boating have you done already?

How much provisioning do you want to do? Anchor out or dock in marinas? Read about where you think you will stay and go.

I'm thinking the OP hasn't done much cruising because if he (or she) had, there would be no need to ask such a broad question.

I'm thinking the OP hasn't done much cruising because if he (or she) had, there would be no need to ask such a broad question.

Agreed. I never saw a follow-up post detailing anything.

We bought Sand Castle in Solomon's Md, and cruised her to Havelock, NC the first cruise. I've had a good amount of experience, but it was the longest cruise I piloted in my own single-engined boat. Angst was a little high at first, but settled down after the first 15-hour cruising day to Norfolk. Had great weather, which made all the difference.

I think that is really bad advice. Starting out on a 400 mile cruise without most of the things mentioned above could prove deadly. You can't solve problems you are not prepared for and as for "You'll have support all the time.", what support would that be and where will it come from?

Again, bad advice.:banghead:

you brought up a good point. I think number one on the list is a list of all the possible sources of aid available from all positions on your trip. Plot the course then list closest available help. 2 would be plot all hazards on your course. 3 Carry all necessary parts gear for normal breakdowns, belts filters, oil, coolant, belts tools, water pump, fuel pump, lots of high strength duct tape. survival gear life vests etc.

and lots of beer, a little food muchies, more beer.......

Make sure your insurance covers the area you plan to travel in and upgrade towing insurance

The difference between an ordeal and adventure is attitude. I'm with Alemao. Get out there and discover what you need. All you really need is a boat and a lick of common sense.

By the way...if you don't see a yellow square or yellow triangle on the marker, then you are not on the ICW.

Don't forget about switching to synthetic oil, adding cetane booster and doubling up on fuel additives to make your trip memorable. Or so the Newbie would be led to believe when perusing TF. While you're at it talk with Galaxy Girl about buying the right vessel for the 400 mile journey.

Cruising the ICW is not rocket science. Sometime you have to get your feet wet (so to speak), and throw off the umbilical chord. Most of the bottom is soft. With a single screw and full keel with skeg (if you have one) going aground will not be an earth shattering experience. Inconvient? Yes. Watch the gold triangles and squares on markers and bouys. Gold square is green and gold triangle is red no matter what color the marker they are on. If you don't see gold you are lost. Don't be afraid to radio for directional help. Many times there are bored guys around just waiting for such a call.

I envy your first trip. There will never be another first one.

Did you already started your cruise? Send us news. Good luck

I'm with you, Alemao. Go for it.
The risk is mainly financial on the ICF. A great way to learn. Make sure you're insured. and have fun!

Geez

Get in your boat and go.

Does it run?
Is it in good mechanical shape?
Do you know how to drive it?
Do you know how to fix it when it breaks?

Drive the boat. Do not let any dock queen owners stop you.
My gawd you're going down a 125' wide ditch. You'll probably experience a 6 inch wave or a boat wake. You might be out of sight of a full service marina for all of a couple of hours.

Last edited:
:rofl: More synthetic oil, please :rofl:

Paper charts always. Ask for local knowledge before you go and drop the lines. It's been said about the necessities, just go. :dance:

Just be careful because you must go in idle or close idle and you must power your engines about 30 seconds to 1 minute a day to clean them.

Geez

Get in your boat and go.

Does it run?
Is it in good mechanical shape?
Do you know how to drive it?
Do you know how to fix it when it breaks?

Drive the boat. Do not let any dock queen owners stop you.
My gawd you're going down a 125' wide ditch. You'll probably experience a 6 inch wave or a boat wake. You might be out of sight of a full service marina for all of a couple of hours.

Now that is funny!;) Sometimes we on the west coast wish we had a ditch to go up the coast....

Love the boating community, but sometimes it is funny to compare the differances between the left and right coast......:hide:

Yes but we have to respect each one with his cruise.
I have to make a small cruise still before the hurricane season, and I'm talkink about 600 miles of open water.
I think that 400 miles in the IC it's easy because I'm mechanical engeneer, but for the first time cruising maybe not.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom