Tools

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swampgatr

Veteran Member
Other than your basic screw driver sets, wrenches and sockets hammer what type of tools do you carry on your trawler? Any specialty tools reccommended. I know this can vary depending on your engines and electronics. I currently do not own a trawler but hope to purchase a used one in the next 2 years or so. Just trying to get some information so I will be better prepared. Thanks

We carry three toolboxes on the boat. The list of what's in them is far too long to write down here. Some of them are special to the boat, like packing gland wrenches and impeller pullers. But we have everything we think we might need of for mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and wood work on the boat. For power tools we have a Makita 1/2" lithium drill, a Makita heat gun, and an AC powered 1/2" drill. And over the years different projects have dictated the purchase of specific tools, like a very high quality 1/4" chisel for working on deck seams. We have both SAE tools and metric tools.

Impeller puller!! two huge ass wrenches for the shaft packing glands... rubber mallet (RTF insert photo here)

Thanks these replies are exactly what I am looking for keep them coming. You also mentioned you purchase some tools as needs come up. What are some of these situations? Just curious

ezdipper said:
You also mentioned you purchase some tools as needs come up. What are some of these situations? Just curious

Teak deck maintenance, brightwork (teak trim) maintenance, toilet overhauling, outboard motor maintenance, rigging work, paint prep and application, window removal and overhaul, seacock maintenance, and canvas repair to name some that come to mind.

My wife recently bought a second heavy duty sewing machine so we can keep one permanently on the boat instead of hauling one back and forth.

Last edited by a moderator:
It isn't a boat project if you don't have to go to the store 47 times.... for example we have collected various sizes of paddle bits from various projects and some other specialty drill bits. I forget the name of the drill bit for drilling out the plugs in the teak that I bought to take the fiddle of the galley counter. it seems like it is always something.

we have six plastic bins under the settee with different categories of stuff. 1) general tools 2) electrical 3) plumbing 4) adhesives 5) boaty things like shackles and pieces of line 6) I forget what is in the sixth box. plus there is a tool box in the flybridge with more general tools. We should probably consolidate. :whistling:

Greetings,
Ms. PG. "...rubber mallet (RTF insert photo here)". I don't understand what you're getting at...

Z0040392.jpg

I knew I could count on you for a good illustration, thanks RTF

In addition to all the standard tools, one of my favourite all-around boat tools is a set of large curved-jaw vice grips. These seem to be useful everywhere. In particular they are often way more practical than pipe wrenches, and they also fit big nuts like stuffing boxes. All in all an excellent addition.

http://www.irwin.com/tools/locking-tools/the-original-large-jaw-locking-pliers

Scott Welch
Island Eagle

I will always have a cheap multi-speed electric drill, and basic wrenches and pliers...

My favorite "non-standard" tools:

1) Rescue tape (or self-amalgamating knockoffs)
2) 5-minute epoxy (I like syringe types)
3) Inspection mirror (the round dental ones)
4) rubber gloves (I don't like just reaching into dark, dirty, slimey areas)
5) knee pads

wow... my list sounds.... nevermind.

Small shop-vac, Dremel, large strap wrench for spinning the main shafts. LED flash lights, oil/fuel filter wrench, hydraulic prop puller fabricated from large HF gear puller, small DC air compressor, quality multimeter, battery load tester, point and shoot temp gun (HF), propane torch, mini-torch, soldering iron, portable battery pack, heavy duty jumper cables, shaft packing picks/pullers...and the typical drills/wrench sets.

Ditto on the rescue tape, money well spent (Thanks FlyWright)

Magnet on an extendable wand
Spring loaded parts retriever
Nerf football and modeling clay(in case of losing a sea cock or other small hole)
Variety of hose clamps
Safety wire
Teflon tape(seems obvious but easily forgotten)

Almost everything mattkab, skidgear and Cpseudonym (You're welcome!) listed plus:

12V rechargeable jump start battery with built-in work light - great for troubleshooting 12V items and a great light when the house battery leads are removed.

Large knife (or an axe) by the anchor locker for cutting away the anchor in an emergency. I have 120 ft of chain, but if I'm anchored on all chain in an emergency and need to cut away, I can cut the line in the anchor locker, then release the chain/line.

An inexpensive multi-function tool for cutting wood, fiberglass, metal, plastic...just about anything on the boat with minimal dust and maximum noise.

A full set of electrical terminal ends, hydraulic crimper, wire/cable and shrink wrap for field repairs and both Boat Unexpected Maintenance Projects (BUMPs) and Boat Improvement Tasks (BITs).

A Clamp-tite tool to make replacement clamps from safety wire on the water.

A fairly large permanent magnet which can be lowered into the water to retrieve the critical tool unavoidably dropped into Davy Jones locker at the most critical time. (My hammer now has a wrist strap!)

My power drill has a 110 adapter plus an air pump accessory with needle valves to inflate bike tires, fenders, etc.

A 12V high volume/low pressure air pump to fill the dinghy and water toys. Higher pressure comes from the foot pump.

Last edited:
One thing I have found amazingly helpful--- I don't know if it's been listed yet here--- is a really good LED headlamp. Be aware there are headlamps and there are headlamps. The one my wife got us for the boat was not inexpensive but it has a variety of settings and lamp clusters for different brightness and beam widths, it can be aimed in a variety of directions without having to change the position of the headband itself, and so on.

I initially thought it would be of limited value but have since discovered it is the best thing since sliced bread. I use it for everything from engine room checks to working on seacocks in less-than-convenient places. A good worklight is equally important to have as well, but a good headlamp is a really good investment in my recent experience.

Last edited:
I'll stay out of this one, as my boat is really just a floating tool box. Apparently everyone else in the harbour knows that too.

Don't forget Gaffer tape is much better than silver tape.

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa, Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

I'll stay out of this one, as my boat is really just a floating tool box. Apparently everyone else in the harbour knows that too.

I know the feeling...been on the road for almost 4 months and I still find some local boaters along the way who need some tool that I loan them.:D

The real answer is every tool, tape, lubricant, glue, bit of string that you know how to use and can resonably store on the boat.

I have an engineroom with tool bags that could rebuild or replace everything including the main...yet 99% of the repairs that I have done have been out of an under the helm seat pouch that have a 4 tip srewdriver, channel locks, crescent wrench, regular pliers, multi-meter and a handful of zip-ties.

I never use these "handman specials" on important or sensitive repairs (then it's the right tool for the job)...it's just that most day to day things you do while cruising are just a little this or that to get you to the next destination.

Wow!

And I was feeling like a "prepper" for carrying all the tools we have!

I'll add to the stuff above the spare parts to fix everything (even though its a little off topic). From redundant pumps, and head fixit kits to just about anything you'd need.

Except as posted above by pineapplegirl it never seems to keep us away from the marine store for something, and when I go shopping for one we buy two to save a trip next time.

Last edited:
Tools galore here also. Some of the non-standard tools:

• Butane pencil torch for sealing shrink wrap and soldering electrical connections
  • Battery operates dremel with a variety of tips and wheels
  • Rubber mallet
  • 5lb BFH
  • Test light for checking circuit continuity
  • Bulk wire (electrical and seizing)

I'm sure there's more :)

The tools you carry often reflect the condition of your boat.
For us as inland/coastal cruisers, we buy a cheap combo set every couple years, donating the old set (with missing/rusted components) to Goodwill...and we have unlimited towing (which we've never used).
WEST MARINE Shipyard Tool Kit at West Marine

It depends which workman is, I love tools and I'm buying all the time.

If you need something just ask a live aboard as we will proable have what you want! Also we are great modifies or jury rig most things, especilly if its an older boat.:thumb:

Like Screwdriver, wrench, clamps, hammers, ... everythink new, I want to buy, I have 2 and half toll boxes :eek:)

Wow, I can see I am going to need to budget in for quite a few specialty tools as well as the parts I might need. Thanks everyone for all the imput.

Thanks for the offer but I don't even have my trawler yet. I have most basic tools I will need but can see I will need to get some of the specialty ones when the time comes. Those I will not get until I have my Trawler and know specifically what I will need. This just helps me get one of my lists together.

Luckily our boat came with a long list of specialty tools included. I did pick up a Crescent tool kit years ago that had a fair amount of standard tools of acceptable quality. Still using it and haven't lost one piece, which is amazing

Attachments

• 181-CTK170MPORS_s7.jpg
    181-CTK170MPORS_s7.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 350
The tools you carry often reflect the condition of your boat.

I hope you mean that in a positive way. :)

The tools you have reflect your boats complexity, your ability to use them, and your percieved risk of breakdown.

Same thing for spare parts.

Back
Top Bottom