Sorry Broker, Just Looking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1. Trawlerfest in Baltimore was pretty good
2. Oriental Boat Show April 12 coming up.
3. Whenever that one in Morehead City is (Tom will know)
4. Lots of small in-water local sponsors shows with pre-owned boats $50K to $500K. Most are in the $50K to $125K range.

A few YouTube videos on how to do stuff (fiberglass, engine maintenance, electrical) or a USPS course or two, and you can slowly (real slow - breaking things takes no time at all) proceed through your boat knowing it and fixing its quirks if it needs it. Just be sure to get a good surveyor.

Morehead City In-Water Boat Show - May 18-19. However, considering the market, the Morehead City show will likely be WAY more bay boats and sport fish. Still, you can talk to people that don't have a sales quota. That said, Oriental is predominately sailboats, with a much higher contingent of trawlers. All used.

And Skinny Dippin' will be present for both Oriental and Morehead City Boats shows!! :) Come by and see us if you are there!

Pluto,
if you're talking about retiring in a "couple" of years, I think right now is the time to get serious. Boat payments and upgrades are a lot easier to do with an income. We'll be retiring in about two years and made tha decision 5 years ago to get the retirement boat. we made a list of what we wanted in a boat, what we didn't want in a boat and started looking. We were far from novices, had been boating for 40 years, 30 years on our own hull. We started looking, it took about 5 months to find the right boat. It will be paid off by the end of the summer, we have it outfitted the way we want. If we waited until we were on a fixed income we would have had to settle for less.
John
2003 Mainship 390

We were along those lines as well. I figured it would be a lot more fun to pour money into the boat we own than to save it for the boat we hope to find someday.

The time between now and retirement lets us see the true expenses, plan for the reality of owning a bigger boat and get her appointed in the way we want as we get closer.

And Skinny Dippin' will be present for both Oriental and Morehead City Boats shows!! :) Come by and see us if you are there!

We'll try to look you up at the Oriental Boat Show if we can find you!

:hello: :rofl:

I have met a few brokers that did not tolerate (or really acted irked) me being a first-time buyer that asked them a lot of questions and had trouble making up our mind about what direction we wanted to go with our purchase. Acting like we were wasting their time having them come up with lists of potential boats only for us to ask about a completely different category of boats. One even asked us not to be their customer any longer.

And you wonder why I really despise the industry. This is why.

Tom, are they all that way?:)

Pluto,
if you're talking about retiring in a "couple" of years, I think right now is the time to get serious. Boat payments and upgrades are a lot easier to do with an income. We'll be retiring in about two years and made tha decision 5 years ago to get the retirement boat. we made a list of what we wanted in a boat, what we didn't want in a boat and started looking. We were far from novices, had been boating for 40 years, 30 years on our own hull. We started looking, it took about 5 months to find the right boat. It will be paid off by the end of the summer, we have it outfitted the way we want. If we waited until we were on a fixed income we would have had to settle for less.
John
2003 Mainship 390

We were along those lines as well. I figured it would be a lot more fun to pour money into the boat we own than to save it for the boat we hope to find someday.

The time between now and retirement lets us see the true expenses, plan for the reality of owning a bigger boat and get her appointed in the way we want as we get closer.

We did the same thing. I was 49 when we bought our current boat, with the idea that it'll be paid off before my 60th birthday.

The repower was also part of that plan. I didn't want mr big bill suprises in my retirement so we got it out of the way when we bought the boat.

I have only had one big boat and that is the one I have now. When I was first looking, I spoke with a number of brokers, none of which seemed to take me seriously. I was 42, talking about buying a Trawler in the $500K range. I was not exactly sure right away what I wanted, and I am sure I had lots of dumb questions. So, feeling frustrated and maybe a bit intimidated at this point, I decided to search myself. So, buying up magazines, cruising forums, going to the Seattle boat show, Vancouver boat show and the Anacortes Trawlerfest, I narrowed down what I wanted. Then, after a referral and knowing exactly what I wanted, I hand picked a buyers broker to help me make the purchase. I am sure there are lots of great brokers out there, but I did not get a fuzzy feeling from many I interacted with. The broker I ended up using (after about 5 months of searching on my own) was great, but by then I knew what I wanted and really needed limited input by him.

In my business, I never judge a book by the cover. I think some of the brokers I interacted with did that, to their ultimate loss of a nice commission.

The two boats I've purchased, a pocket cutter and my current trawler, were purchased via mail and internet, sight unseen. Worked out OK both times. And ditto for the dinghy. All new, however.

img_142828_0_cc059bd6fa023b8d4b9ca59c44e25dd8.jpg

Last edited:
Correction: My statement earlier, " my wife and I made an appointment with the local GB owner..." should obviously have read "my wife and I made an appointment with the local GB dealer...."

Tom, are they all that way?:)

Nope not all! ;) But there really was one guy, back before we bought Skinny Dippin' who truly told us that until we figured out what we wanted, he wasn't able to help us. What a douchebag. :socool:

If you have not seen this short animated video of the travails of a yacht broker I highly recommend you relieve yourself before watching it.

I Want To Sell My Yacht

That is funny!:rofl::):D:popcorn:
We had the same trouble having brokers help us, especial the young aggressive males, so we tend to seek out females and/or old males. Being a live aboard for 15+ years we have know many brokers most I would not recommend. Also most brokers are not that familar with boats, espcially specific boats they are showing.

Boat broker is not like a dirt broker as they do NOT show all the boats on the market, mostly just their own lising. So you may/will have to talk to several brokers even in the same area/marina. therir hours are banker hous, 10:00 to 5:00 with a two hour lunch.:D

At the time we owned a 19 ft run about and cruised the marinas as many boats are for sale but no long listed or broker where not willing to show.

If you can not talk the talk and walk the walk they will know in a couple of minutes anyway. So may as will be straight with them. While looking at boats, also look at marinas and be sure walk the yards so you know what boat look like below the water line. Make it a mini vacation/get away.

Again, thank you for your responces and ideas. When my beautiful wife got home this evening after her 12 hour day teaching 7 th grade science, we both had some wine and i read your posts to her. She (and i ) got a little weepy. She looked at me and said she cant wait. Neither can I.

Brokers are like pumbers, doctors and cops. 80% of them are just average guys trying to make a living, 10% are excellent and will go the extra mile and 10% of them are dangerous and should be taken out behind the barn.
I suggest investing some time in finding a good broker, they are out there.

For your consideration To Use a Broker or Not

She looked at me and said she cant wait. Neither can I.

Of course one doesn't want to get themselves into a financial situation that ends up forcing one to live in a cardboard box under a freeway. So a boat acquisition should be approached with the same intelligence and care you would use in buying a house.

But..... while I've not seen it expressed on this forum yet, back when I used to participate in the Trawlers and Trawlering mailing list (T&T) I recall reading on fairly frequent occasions about couples who had planned for years to take up cruising upon retirement and who had saved and finally bought the boat of their dreams only to have a health problem (or simply age) swoop in and put an end to the dream.

Obviously health is a crap shoot and is not something that can be counted on one way or the other. But my wife and I have always believed that it's better to do something we want to to do as soon as we can swing it rather than wait until it's "safe." Because for most of us, that "safe" time never arrives.

So the two of us believe that things one really wants to do and are important to that person to do should be done as soon as it's at all possible. We have followed that philosophy for everything from flying floatplanes up and down the Inside Passage to Alaska, to running canal boats in England, to acquiring the cruising boat we have today.

No, you don't want to be stupid about it and put too much at risk just for the sake of doing what you want to do. But it's very easy to talk one's self out of doing something big like buying a cruising boat until a better time. And then that better time never seems to quite arrive until one day you find that you can't do what you want to do no matter how much you want to it, and the opportunity has passed you by for good.

You only go around once, as they say, so why not try to do and see as much as one possibly can during that revolution. Most of us will never be able to do everything we would like to do, but I also think that most of us will not do as much as we could have done had we tried a bit harder to make it work.

So don't be dumb and put yourselves in jeopardy, but don't be shy and let an opportunity to do something really cool slip by you, either.

Speaking only for me and my wife, the value of owning our boat and using it cannot be measured in dollars and cents, nor can it be justified in dollars and cents. It can only be measured and justified by how it has enriched our lives and our relationship. And that is something that outweighs any argument, pro or con, based purely on dollars.

The years I've been around so far have taught me to place a lot of credibility in what my gut tells me. Pro and con lists are great and a good thing to draw up, I think. But in the end, I do what just feels right even if it's not what the objective lists tell me should be right.

Selecting a boat is the same thing. Look at lots of them if you think that's a good approach. Charter one or some if you think that will help you determine if you even like the cruising thing (that's what we did). But when you come across the right boat, I think you'll instinctively know it. Don't stop using your head, but in the end I think it will be your gut that will help you make the right decision.

When Alan Mulally was head of the 777 program at Boeing and later became president and CEO of Boeing Commercial Airplanes, I worked with him on a fairly regular basis. He always had a little sign on his desk that said, "Remember, this is supposed to be fun." I think it applies to boating every bit as much as it does to building airplanes.

image-630906747.jpg

Last edited:
Yes! Do it when you can!

img_143019_0_596194a0812644834abe960bd4ac9351.jpg

Lookyloo

Thinking about being a lookyloo on Friday. Projects are done on Moonstruck, and Lou and I are about over our colds. Time for a free day. So, maybe down to the Palm Beach Boat Show to see the 47' Nordhavn. Hope Marin's broker is not there. I don't want to be a 3 boat owner.:eek:

I got a really personal invitation from the folks at Nordhavn. All I have to do is go down and stand in line. Ain't that special.:nonono:

So, maybe down to the Palm Beach Boat Show to see the 47' Nordhavn.

Should be fun but the decrease in speed is really going to turn you off. (IMO, of course) You already have a great cruising boat. (Not a trawler :hide:)

Should be fun but the decrease in speed is really going to turn you off. (IMO, of course) You already have a great cruising boat. (Not a trawler :hide:)

What! Not a trawler? Damn broker lied again.:banghead:

Walt. Careful now. No one has told Moonstruck he doesn't own a trawler. The intervention team is still meeting to try and figure out how to break it to him. Don't worry Don- Walt didn't mean what he said. However....you WOULD look pretty darn cool in a 47 Nord! I will help you tie up to the dock @ Chickamauga. :) :) :)

What! Not a trawler? Damn broker lied again.:banghead:

Just put a set of outriggers, a trawl net, a hydraulic net drum, and a pair of otter doors on the back of your boat and you will be more of a trawler than any other boat on this forum.:)

And if you do fish with it, your speed will ensure you get back to the processor before any of the other trawlers so you'll make more money than them.

It'll be a win-win.:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom