Old 03-20-2013, 10:17 PM   #14
psneeld
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Bob Smith, AKA American Diesel was in charge of marinizing all the Lehmans. Spending two days with him in his diesel class was king of like visiting with Yoda. You learn from the master. I'd say they know what they are talking about.
I'm sure Neil Armstrong knew a shi*load about the Apollo spacecraft...doesn't mean he was the guy installing the gaskets during normal repairs/building and making pieces go together without killing some engineer who didn't have to actually put it together.

I call AD too with questions...but after 50 years of working on stuff..I know enough about cork gaskets to know what is OK and what isn't...and if unsure...yeah call....but the OP's question ain't rocket science.

Just like the trick with using a paper bag as a gasket for a raw water pump. I doubt Bob teaches that in his class but I know a boatload of great commercial mechanics and fisherman who use the trick and never look back....all the time giggling at those that spend money on factory replacement gaskets and worried about a "good fit".

If the standard answer in this forum is always...call the expert or factory...I wonder why these forums even exist.

Like people posting here aren't smart enough to know that?
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote