Boat Usage '09

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baker

TF Site Team/Forum Founder
Site Team
Vessel Name
Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Make
Meridian 411
Man, we had been blowing and going this whole weekend having too much fun.* WHen Monday dawned, we told ourselves that we were gonna stay home and just chill and wind down from the weekends festivities.* The weekend had some pretty rough weather but Monday dawned beautiful.* My phone rang a couple of different times....friends on boats going out....are we going????* Dammit, the weather was so damn nice and Cyndi said what the heck and off we went.* We ended up anchored out at Redfish Island with 2 other boats....and their women....* There's dude pics but I don't think y'all want to see them.* These ladies are frineds with a good pilot buddy of mine....okay and the one dude pic is a buddy who was convinced he could swim with his cast on and not get it wet.....didn't work... it got wet.

Attachments

• b (1204 x 903).jpg
    b (1204 x 903).jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 84
  • d (1204 x 903).jpg
    d (1204 x 903).jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 83
  • e (1204 x 903).jpg
    e (1204 x 903).jpg
    165 KB · Views: 84
  • f (1204 x 903).jpg
    f (1204 x 903).jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 95
  • g (1204 x 903).jpg
    g (1204 x 903).jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 97
  • h (1204 x 903).jpg
    h (1204 x 903).jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 97
These 2 are of my wife....one on the boat flexing her "Sarah Connors"* and the other one was a party on a friend's boat the night before.* I'd have to say, she does clean up nicely!!!

-- Edited by Baker on Tuesday 26th of May 2009 10:10:52 AM

Attachments

• c (1204 x 903).jpg
    c (1204 x 903).jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 103
  • a (1204 x 903).jpg
    a (1204 x 903).jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 92
Now we're talking! (And looking) I'm kinda sick of all the "tech talk" and ready to see the Forum having fun!
nod.gif

Actually I must admit I have taken a break from the boat project for *a few weeks and have been using the boat every Sunday. *The new railings and awning make it much more user freindly and now that I have have a solid steering system, proper fuel system and functional gauges and alarms on the engine I am happy taking it out with family and freinds on board. *I finished the swim platform but it is still waiting to be fitted.

Last weekend we did some fishing and the weekend before kayaked in to a beach at a local island.

Cheers, Leon.

Attachments

• dsc00033.jpg
    dsc00033.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 81
  • dsc00031.jpg
    dsc00031.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 83
  • dsc00034.jpg
    dsc00034.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 111
Ahh, that's the life, a beautiful woman on one arm, a bottle of Pampero Aniversario in the other.
Steve

Steve wrote:

Ahh, that's the life, a beautiful woman on one arm, a bottle of Pampero Aniversario in the other.
Steve

*You know it!* That is some tasty stuff!!!!

Actually, we were at a celebration that required the cork be thrown over the side and the bottle passed around until it is finished.* A bottle of 18 year Flor de Cana followed this one and was treated in the same manner.* Needless to say, a good time was had by all.

-- Edited by Baker on Wednesday 27th of May 2009 08:46:17 AM

How come you guys (and gals) don't wear any clothes down there? Perhaps I should come south for awhile. I offer a pair of pics for anybody who needs to cool down. 1st is the Klawock Cannery just north of Craig. This was the 1st cannery in Alaska* ..* 1879 I think. The other pic** ..* snowball in Thorne Bay.

Eric Henning

Attachments

• 046_46.jpg
    046_46.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 81
  • 050_50.jpg
    050_50.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 66
What's that white stuff everywhere?

Eric, I dunno how you do it....just a different lifestyle I guess?

I don't know Eric's background or where else he's lived other than SE Alaska. But I grew up in Hawaii--- lived there from 1955 to 1979. If I never see the sun again it will be just fine with me. Talk about boring weather. Same thing day in and day out.

I love the winter, and after all those years in Hawaii I love the PNW's overcast days, rain, snow, volcanic ash, you name it. I wish we got more snow in western Washington during hte winter but you can't have everything. Weather makes life exciting. I can think of nothing more dull than waking up every day to the same old blue sky and heat. The weather here does not curtail our boating or flying--- the boat has radar and in the floatplane we use the same decision-making process as the seagulls: if you can see you can fly, if you can't see you can't fly. The only thing that prevents us from going out (or up) is wind as it can really rough up the water, but that can happen in sunny places, too.

And even with the frozen water and snow Eric puts up with, he's surrounded by some of the most spectacular and exciting scenery in the world. I look at photos people take on the ICW, for example, and wonder how they can stand it--- the surrounding country is so flat and featureless. I guess one makes the best of what one is dealt, but Eric's living where God got it right. I guess after creating all those mountains and islands and glaciers and spruce, cedar, and hemlock forests he was pretty much out of construction material, so he spread what little he had left out flat*down south.

I'm not particularly fond of Seattle as a city, but I moved here in spite of Seattle, not because of it. With very little effort and time one can be in the mountains, steelhead fishing on the rivers, or out in the islands and be, to a large degree, pretty much on your own. British Columbia is even better in this respect. And the farther north you go, the better it gets.* By my way of thinking, when you live where you can*wake up in the morning to find a bear snuffling around in your yard or a moose walking across the driveway, you're living in the right place.

All the years of flying up and down the Inside Passage and in SE Alaska is what convinced us we wanted to see the area at a more leisurely pace, hence the purchase of the boat ten years ago.* Hopefully we'll get her all the way*up there someday.* In the meantime we'll just*have to*"put up with" the cruising country we have down here......

-- Edited by Marin on Wednesday 27th of May 2009 11:02:42 AM

Attachments

• 15-enroute.jpg
    15-enroute.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 05-toward vondonop 1.jpg
    05-toward vondonop 1.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 81
Marin, I understand what you are saying....but variety is the spice of life. We don't wake up to sun every day down here....quite the contrary. We had 80mph winds here on Sunday that definitely made boating a little bit interesting. It is thundering here right now.. And there is plenty of beauty in the coastal plains...you just don't see it.....many others do.....wadefishing the flats in kneedeep water with a 10lb redfish on the line.... You have bears....we have alligators....and dolphins and sharks and pelicans and herons and egrets(I know y'all have some of them) and whooping cranes and sandhill cranes,etc. We have some of the best seafood in the world with some of the best cooks in the world. I would absolutely love to cruise the PNW and Alaska...it is stunningly beautiful. But it is not where I would spend all of my days. You say God got it right....I would agree with you if it were warmer. To me, Maui is where God got it right....but if I lived there I am sure the whole "island thing" might get to me as it did you. I doubt it would convert me to a cold cloudy type of person though.

I am a water creature and I like to get IN the water. I also like shorts and flip/flops. I like girls in bikinis. I like to surf. Maybe some day I will get tired of it all down here in the heat.....but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

To each their own....
smile.gif

Baker wrote:

Marin, I understand what you are saying....but variety is the spice of life....You say God got it right....I would agree with you if it were warmer. To me, Maui is where God got it right....
You're 100 percent right.* If everyone liked it up here, then they'd come here and there would be no more point in living here.* I am very grateful that most people are turned off by the overcast and rain and fog (and tons of debris in the water and 20-foot tidal ranges and 10-knot currents and swirling rapids and whirlpools) and so stay away.

Maui used to be my favorite island in Hawaii until they mucked it all up with hotels and condos and whatnot.* I used to like to*fly into the little airport at Kaanapali and stay in the Pioneer Inn next to the harbor in Lahaina.* Back then this was*only hotel in the town itself.* I don't even*know if it's still there being as how it was wood and had style.* It's probably been replaced by some concrete*condo abortion.**The last time I was on Maui I was there to direct a Bank of Hawaii commercial and there was a brand new*mall in Lahaina and the*whole area all the way down the west*coast*was rapidly going downhill under the developer's bulldozer blades.* The road to Hana is still wonderful if you can drive it when the tour busses aren't on it, if that's even possible anymore.* That was another of my favorite flying destinations-- the little airstrip at Hana.* In fact, I first soloed there during my first dual cross-country flight.

But as Maui succumbed to development in*the late '70s*I shifted my "favorite" island**over to the Big Island (Hawaii).* Far fewer people and a much wider variety of landscape.* My favorite area was what we called the Parker Ranch area, aka Kailua.

Molokai was a favorite, too, again because back then there were very few people on the island and only one low-rise, cabin-style hotel.* I used to fly in to the "inaccessible" leper colony (Kalaupapa)*on Molokai's north shore (see photo).* The colony is gone now but it was still active in the '70s.* They had a small runway way out on the point and while you couldn't go into the village you could park the plane and walk over to the beach next to the runway.* I'd take a girlfriend over and have a picnic--- we were usually the only ones there.* Other times I'd fly a Honolulu-based veterinarian into Kalaupapa to treat the residents' pets.* They'd bring their dogs and cats out to the airport and the vet would set up shop in the little wood building that served as the terminal.* Eventually he learned to fly and bought his own plane.

Kauai didn't do much for me.* There was a WWII fighter airstrip on the east shore next to a nice beach park that I'd go to fairly often but otherwise I found Kauai rather boring.

When we moved to Hawaii in 1955 there were just three hotels in Waikiki.* I left in 1979 but Boeing has sent me back twice, fortunately just for two or three days at a time.**Too*bad,*now,*to see how it's been developed and changed.* I don't miss it at all.

As to cold vs. warm, I learned a long time ago that if you're cold it's real easy to get warm.* Wear warmer clothes, build a fire, turn on the heat, whatever.* But if you're hot, it's impossible to get cool without mechanical assistance (aka air conditioning).* Works fine if you're inside but if you have to work outside as I did most of the time in Hawaii, you're screwed.* I'll take a cold climate any day.* And the PNW has another advantage--- relatively low humidity.* I've visited good friends who live in southwestern Virginia and North Carolina.* I don't know how they survive in that humidity.* It simply drains the will to live right out of you.* But I guess the folks who live there like it, so if it keeps them there and not here, seems like a win-win to me
smile.gif

-- Edited by Marin on Wednesday 27th of May 2009 12:17:42 PM

Attachments

• kalaupapa.jpg
    kalaupapa.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 82
If you need to cool off just take clothes off and jump in the water....and partake in a cool beverage!!!

I learned the hard way years ago in Hawaii that the ocean is full of animals with big teeth. I decided that since they don't come out of the water and bother me, I won't go in the water and bother them. Ever since then we've all gotten along just fine
smile.gif

-- Edited by Marin on Wednesday 27th of May 2009 02:14:57 PM

Marin, I was in Lahaina about 3 years ago, You'll be glad to know the Pioneer Inn was still in operation. My Dad was born and grew up in Lahaina, we scattered his ashes from a boat a few miles out of the harbor, it really is a beautiful place.
Steve

Steve wrote:

You'll be glad to know the Pioneer Inn was still in operation.
Well that's good to know.* The Pioneer Inn is one of the two classiest hotels in the state, the other one being the Moana in Waikiki.* From the day I first saw it in 1955 I've always thought the Royal Hawaiian, with it's weird pink paint job, is actually a very ugly building.* Its history makes it classy, but aesthetically I've always thought it sucked.

The wooden Moana, on the other hand, intrigued me from day one.* The first year we lived in Hawaii we lived in a little bungalow about two blocks back from the beach and the Moana.* Other than the three hotels--- Royal Hawaiian, Moana, and Surfrider--- all of Waikiki was one and two story houses and palm trees in the mid-50s.* But the Moana, with its classic styling (built in 1901), was a beauty.* Back then they did a live music/variety radio show from its famous Banyan Court (still there) called "Hawaii Calls."* We listened to this show in California before moving to Honolulu.

The Moana was always way too classy for people like me, and of course once I was in college and then working in commercial televison in Honolulu we all avoided Waikiki like the plague.* But the second time Boeing sent me back to Honolulu in the late 1990s, we stayed in the newly overhauled Moana.* It was as nice inside as I'd imagined.

The trawler connection (true story).* A fellow took his Grand Banks 42 from Hawaii to the mainland on its own hull.* He ran the first half of the trip on one engine.* The prop for the non-powered shaft had been removed and was carried on deck.* Halfway across, he shut down, dove on the boat, removed the prop he'd been running on, installed the other prop on the other shaft, and ran the second half of the trip on the other engine.

Here's a shot of the Moana----

Attachments

• 50196814.jpg
    50196814.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 73

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom