Thread: Maybe this one?
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013, 10:13 PM   #130
ksanders
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
GG You seem to be painting yourself into a corner trying to get a boat with enough cabins to suit your families wants on your budget, which I'm guessing is somewhere south of $500K all total. Perhaps you have more than that to spend, but I think this guess is pretty accurate.

I know you've heard this before, but I'm going to say it anyway. The boats you're pointing out are on the very expensive side of their lifecycles. They are of an age, and of a condition where the boats need some serious restoration work to get them back to a fully seaworthy state. They will also cost you allot in ongoing maintenance because of the age of the systems, and the sheer number of different pieces of old equipment involved.

I know you have a dream, and I support that, heck everyone here does. The problem is how do you make that dream come true, and not find yourself with a boat you cannot afford to maintain.

Thats easy, look at smaller boats in better condition. Bunk up with your mom, or sleep on the watchstanders berth in the pilothouse. Make the kids bunk up together.

You can live your dream, but its going to take some compromises, or you're going to have to cough up more money on a better condition boat.

BTW, if you've got the $$ and think the boats you're looking at are great bargains, think again. An inexpensive boat for its size and age can actually be more expensive in the long run than buying a better condition example in the first place.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote