Made Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marin

Guru
About six weeks ago before I headed to Brazil to direct a shoot we special-ordered a 2013 Ford 4wd Supercab pickup. It came in last week and we picked it up Friday. While I have no problems buying stuff from any country on the planet as long as it's made properly it was nice to see a sticker on the windshield of the new truck saying that it had been built at Ford's Dearborn Truck Plant.

Where did the parts come from?

There should be a parts percentage on the window sticker.

Where did the parts come from?

There should be a parts percentage on the window sticker.

No, no parts percentage. As this was a special order truck there was no window sticker. Only the where-assembled sticker on the windshield.

Am I reading this correctly that you ordered the truck in Brazil? Just curious about why.

No, we ordered the truck before I went to Brazil. Ford called me a couple of times while I was in Brazil to clarify things about our order as they were getting ready to assemble the truck but my being in Brazil had no role in our order.

I remember years being surprised to see the caprice Chev I bought was made in Canada my next Chev, a Suburban, was made in Mexico. Now I have a Toyota Tacoma made in Texas, I have no idea what the origin of the components is. In between I owned 2 Ford f150s, both made in USA.

Marin, I agree. As long as the vehicle in it's entirety is of acceptable quality, origin of parts is immaterial.

Don't get me wrong, I would like to see everything American-made as it was a decade back. But that's no longer reality. It's a world economy now and that's the way it's going to be going forward.

We have a new 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee. As per the sticker, it's 71% US/Canadian
content. Engine (5.7L V8) is from Mexico. Chassis design by Mercedes Benz. Owned by Fiat in Italy.

Guess one could call it a Mongrel. But we like it.

Which Ford did you buy Marin? The F150? As you probably know I was in the car business and things really changed during the 25 years I was in it. I was with Ford, Acura and then GM.

I can tell you about when I saw changes with GM. Our Suburbans and Jimmy's (Tahoe) were made in Flint Michigan. The workers there were union and were openly fighting against management. They would clock in, take a break, go to the bathroom, eat, and maybe go to their station. The product was getting worse from there yearly and at the dealership level, we had to QC and fix the problems pre sale.

One suburban had a rattle in the door. They removed the door panel and inside that door was chicken bones and an empty liquor bottle.

The manufacturers had to start outsourcing. Van Nuys plant in CA was another. They built the F body cars. Firebirds and Camero's. They had to crush about 3 in a hundred because of problems that were unfixable and the workers wouldn't change. Finally GM said either do better or we'll close the plant. As you know, they sent that car line to Canada and the quality improved 1000%

It is a world economy now. I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't at least 30% foreign content in your Ford. Which really doesn't matter.

Back
Top Bottom