shower pump/ auto or float switch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jenny

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Jenny
Vessel Make
Bristol Trawler
I have to replace the pump that takes care of my shower and sink water. I have a float switch set up now. Should I switch to an "all in one"?

I have to replace the pump that takes care of my shower and sink water. I have a float switch set up now. Should I switch to an "all in one"?

I been using the all one for for the last 15+ years, West Marine. Had to replace twice, which took about 15 minutes.

Personally, I like separate switch and pump on sumps as well as bilges. The separate switches tend to be more reliable. My sumps, by design, also act as back ups to the bilge system so I use the highest quality I can get, which means a Rule 2000 pump and a Ultra PumpSwitch. Might be considered overkill in many a budget minded yachtsman's view. Up to a few months ago, full time liveaboards for 5 years so the sumps get a lot of use.. in the master the shower, the vanity and a big A/C (condensate) unit all drain in there.

I been using the all one for for the last 15+ years, West Marine. Had to replace twice, which took about 15 minutes.

Nice pump but you lost the chance work with relais, this relais give a large life for the pump.
I change my float switch for an electronic switch -underway on a hardride the restwater in the bilge put on / off the pump all the time.
http://www.iboats.com/Mayfair-Ultim...04553230--session_id.362958210--view_id.49248
That switch comes with 8 sec. timer !

Last edited:
Nice pump but you lost the chance work with relais, this relais give a large life for the pump.
I change my float switch for an electronic switch -underway on a hardride the restwater in the bilge put on / off the pump all the time.
Mayfair Ultima Bilge Switch - Johnson Pump 36303 - iboats
That switch comes with 8 sec. timer !

The problem with those as sump switches is that they get scummed up and start short cycling.

My shower has no sump, just a "run dry" capable pump that you turn on and off manually. It works fine.

My previous boat had a sump, float switch, and pump. The float switch failed even though we never used the shower.

My shower has no sump, just a "run dry" capable pump that you turn on and off manually. It works fine.

Mine as well, but I need to get the pump moved further downstream. It's overkill for a shower pump, but when you turn it on it makes this way loud grooowwl when it hits empty. It'll make ya reach for the switch pretty quick. Sounds more like a macerator pump than a shower pump. I think the shower drain amplifies the sound quite a bit. :)

Mine as well, but I need to get the pump moved further downstream. It's overkill for a shower pump, but when you turn it on it makes this way loud grooowwl when it hits empty. It'll make ya reach for the switch pretty quick. Sounds more like a macerator pump than a shower pump. I think the shower drain amplifies the sound quite a bit. :)

It depends on what it's fastened to. Anything not really solid will act as a sounding board. Think of a guitar body.

You might be able to leave it where it is if you can buy or fabricate some rubber isolation mounts.

Neah... it's resonating up through the hose...think trumpet and you'll know the look on my wife's face when I installed the $180 pump. :)

Neah... it's resonating up through the hose...think trumpet and you'll know the look on my wife's face when I installed the $180 pump. :)

Mine is probably four feet away by hose and I never noticed it being loud but I never really paid attention. Men and women (most of them) look at things like this differently. To a man, especially the man who installed it, the noise is the sound of work being done. To a woman, it's just an anoying noise. ;)

waterwitch - no moving parts. After half a dozen flapper style failed, went to one of these. Worth the $35

It's more than enough pump to draw from some distance away. I installed it on our 4th of July trip last year. Way too much pump, but it sure can get loud through the drain. :)

waterwitch - no moving parts. After half a dozen flapper style failed, went to one of these. Worth the $35

I almost went for a water witch, but thought twice about it when I inspected the sump and found everything coated with the residue of bathing- scum, oils, etc. if the water witch is scum covered, it can't complete the circuit and turn on the pump- so my logic tells me.....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom