Thread: Maybe this one?
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 08:29 AM   #86
Chrisjs
Guru

GG: As you must be aware by now, there are lots of old (cheap) big steel boats out there, dotted all around the world. If you have been successful in business, as you claim, then surely you must realize there is reason for all this?? They are (becoming) a liability in terms of upkeep and ongoing maintenance. Yes, we all linger over the photos of these once great vessels but most of us end up with a boat far more practical for our real needs. As others have suggested buying a vessel at a remote overseas location is fraught with difficulty, risk and unexpected costs. Better off to spend more on a newer, US-based boat that you can see and research more easily with known professional help. I think the old adage "pay me now or pay me later" is especially true with boats. Even more so because it is unlikely that you will be able to fix/repair/maintain the types of vessels being proposed without a lot more experience or full-time captain/crew. Boats of this size are complex machines. Old boats are even more complex because you usually start with old equipment that has been fixed/repaired, there are no diagrams, parts lists, circuit diagrams, piping diagrams, etc. etc. There are people who dream about doing things themselves offering you advice that they would most likely never follow themselves!!!
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote