View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013, 10:38 PM   #15
Wadosan
Veteran Member

City: Seabeck, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capthead View Post
I boat in the Catalina Channel and it is said if you can survive this channel you can boat anywhere in the world. I've had seas so flat the water was like glass and I've been in a quartering sea with 16' seas and 4 to 5' breakers accompanied by 65 kt winds gusting to 75 kts. I learned to read the waves and the seas and to count the sets. They are never constant. Turning around can be the worse thing you can do especially if you get caught beam to and it broaches you.

I only turned around once and I counted sets and when I thought it was time, I counted again to be sure. I began the turn when I was on top of that last wave. I was counting for the longest time between waves. I got lucky and by the time I was turned around I was almost straight before I was picked up by the next wave. I ran the outboard engine WOT to help it turn faster. I have a twin screw.

Now always remember this. Read this over if you need to. Turning your boat in following seas requires reverse thinking. The reason is because the water that is rushing past your rudders is faster from the rear than your props can push. If you turn the wheel right, your boat will go left. This will make the average captain turn harder thinking he will correct that. Instead it will just push you sideways to the seas and possibly a broach.
Capthead - Thank you! This is exactly what I was hoping for. When you describe it, it makes sense. The water is moving past the boat from the stern so rudder movements need to be the opposite of what you're thinking when you're looking forward. Very valuable info.