View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013, 04:51 PM   #31
rwidman
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidgear View Post
I'm one of those guys in your second paragraph...trying to understand "if it can be done" and what it would take...just for the sake of knowing. (For the record, I'm pretty weak in the electrical and electronics areas).

Anyway, I'm not clear regarding your first comment. For the sake of discussion...let's say there are four or five fixtures in the salon circuit. And let's assume that you are using LED bulbs/fixtures with no resisters and no built-in regulators. Then you buy a regulator that is sized for just that zone with those four or five (likely home made) bulbs. To your first comment above, would the current in the circuit change all that much with addition/deletion of lights on/off in the circuit given the inherent small draw of LEDs?

By the way, after reading about these buck devices, I was thinking perhaps one for each zone as I found small controllers in the $50-$100 range that seemed pretty smart and large enough to carry the current for a few LED bulbs. Each which would be wired through the associated electrical panel switch. Three "zones" for our boat.

Again, I'm one of those guys trying to understand how it could be done....or if not at all.

Thanks
1) Your price range would more than cover the difference between lamps or fixtures with drivers and the cheaper resistor type. You won't find fixtures or replacement bulbs without resistors or drivers, you would have to buy discreete LEDs and build your own.

2) Anything can be done but if you want to know how, you will need to study electronics. Probably at least a two year course at your local community college.
rwidman is online now   Reply With Quote