Which is a better for going accross the big ponds?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

asgfl

I am considering between the Nordhavn 55 and a Kadey-Krogen 55.
Which is more passage-making capable.
Would like to hear all opinions.
Thanks

Well since you're asking for opinions, I would pick the Nordhavn. I have no experience on either and hear good things about both but have read books about owners of Nordhavn crossing oceans, etc. I've been on both boats at boat shows and believe both are excellent in their quality...just very expensive. Out of my price range.

I'd love to be in such a quandary as to be undecided between those two incredible vessels. I've been aboard both, but have never done any passage-making. By design, if I was going around the world, I'd choose the Nordhavn for it's vault-like rigid structure, dense bulkheads, smaller spaces and windows. If I wanted to hang-out, enjoy coastal or island hopping in addition to the blue water, I'd choose the Krogen without hesitation. Here in Stuart, FL, I don't think it's any surprise that their offices are barely 50 ft. from one another. I love them both, but it's likely that after I had taken my Nordhavn around the world, I'd trade it for the Krogen when I got back.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Get ready for 30 pages of opinions!

I'm a Nordhavn fan myself....

I think the Nordy 55 is way too tall for its length so I would opt for the KK 55. But why are you considering just these two boats? There are so many great "Passagemakers" out there for a lot less money.

Would like to hear all opinions.
Thanks

A few thoughts:
  • What year of vessel are you looking at in each case?
  • If new, do not go with the N55, go with the N60 which is the same layout with a longer waterline.
  • Forget the Nordhavn if you are not going to cross oceans.
  • For whatever reason, new KKs are more $$ than new similar sized Nordhavns.
  • During the past 8 years or so this question has been "answered" by many more N55/60s being sold than 55 or 58 KKs.

I agree Tom. I'd go for the cheap Nordhavn.

Tom Wrote;

"new KKs are more $$ than new similar sized Nordhavns."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom