Fatty Knees

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baggiolini

Vessel Name
Mahalo
Vessel Make
Defever 44
New toy. First really positive experience on Craigslist. Listed as an 8'er but it turns out she is 9' which is that much better. Complete with sailing rig. A few dings here and there and she needs a coat of varnish but she is perfect for me. Now I've got to figure some kind of davit system.:thumb:

Attachments

• Fatty Knees2.jpg
    Fatty Knees2.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 427
Sailing in the parking lot

It's been 20 years since I rigged a sailboat but I think I have it.

Attachments

• Fatty knees 3.jpg
    Fatty knees 3.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 348
That's wonderful Bagg. We have a similar dink that's 10'. Looks like yours will be better rowing as it looks more like a rowboat and more full displacement. Perhaps no more that about 2hp though but she should move right along. Ours is far from planing but goes 6 or 8 knots very nicely w a 6hp OB. let us know how she moves in the water.

I picked this up on CL. It was one of the original dingies on my big boat.
img_141984_0_85a42418a8fca230820bbdadbdf85876.jpg

Looks like a fun dink! It's nice when you can actually buy something of value at a good price on CL and walk away happy. Somewhere, I missed the connection to the subject line Fatty Knees...a little help for the slower among us?

Last edited:
It's been 20 years since I rigged a sailboat but I think I have it.

Our boat came with a little 7-11 Montgomery rowing/sailing dinghy (photo) that stows in a cradle on top of the aft cabin. Too small and tippy to use as a utility shoreboat so we put a Livingston on the swimstep. But we've kept the Montgomery and in addition to being a very aesthetic place to stow the crab pot, outboard gas cans, etc., it's a hell of a lot of fun to sail. Based on the few times I've had the opportunity to launch and sail ours, I think you're in for a real treat with your "new" Fatty Knees. Congratulations on finding it.

image-597629451.jpg

Last edited:
Marin I love the blue and green water in your dink pic.

FlyWright,
I had to come on this thread just to see who had fat knees. Never heard of a Fat Knee boat. Frequently threads on this forum have titles that don't give a clue as to what they are about.

swampu,
Here's my aluminum skiff in Sea Otter Sound Alaska.

Attachments

• STH71302 copy 2.jpg
    STH71302 copy 2.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Manyboats: I had to come on this thread just to see who had fat knees. Never heard of a Fat Knee boat. Frequently threads on this forum have titles that don't give a clue as to what they are about.

Haha, so true....I've been looking at these for so long I didn't even think about using Dinghy in the title

Marin,

"The name Fatty Knees came from a time when my wife Doodle was drying our three-year-old granddaughter, while she was on her lap after a warm bath. Grandma teasingly squeezed on her little knees and exclaimed, "lamb, you’ve got fatty knees." Lamb then reached over and took hold of Doodles knees and retorted,“Grandma, you really got fatty knees." Lyle Hess, Designer

One can still be ordered.
Fatty Knees Dinghy Design: A solid dinghy that's fun to sail

I inquired some months ago and received this:

"Hi Dave, thank you for your interest in the Fatty Knees. I have attached the current pricing on the three sizes we build. The eight and nine foot are the most popular. If you have any questions please give me a call or email. It would be a pleasure to build a Fatty Knees for you."

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom