The ultimate trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is one I've always liked. Not my ultimate boat, that be a Krogan 52, but a good looking trawler.

More info at:

Coaster 40

Ron

Attachments

• coaster_afloat.jpg
    coaster_afloat.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 223
This is one I've always liked. Not my ultimate boat, that be a Krogan 52, but a good looking trawler.

More info at:

Coaster 40

Ron

Very nice vessel. The last photos I saw of it, it had been painted a light yellow house/deck with a medium blue hull. Not as appealing to my eye, but probably more appealing to most.

Very nice vessel. The last photos I saw of it, it had been painted a light yellow house/deck with a medium blue hull. Not as appealing to my eye, but probably more appealing to most.

Damn fine looking boat. I'd like to see the blue hull but I'm not too sure about the yellow house/deck.

I like the Coaster 40 too Ron. That link would be a good one for Galaxy Girl, and anyone else wanting to know what the difference between a coastal cruiser and a passage maker is and how to sellect used boats accordingly. That boat comes in several configurations depending on ones purpose and the differences are subtle but telling. Michael Kasten and Tad Roberts along with others have fantastic web resources to further anyone's education in design features and how they affect stability and usage.

This is one I've always liked.

A really "salty" looking boat and very well equipped for expedition type cruising. I love the color!

...here's my brother in law's Vinette. Steel boat built in Escanaba, MI. Single Cummins. Vinette built many Great Lakes fishing boats as well.

DSCN1498.jpg

Last edited:
And here's a not so good photo of a custom steel boat that was built somewhere on Lake Superior...think it was Fraser yards in Superior, WI. Displacement hull with a single small John Deere. Designed by Sturgeon Bay Naval Architect Tim Graul (who happens to be our surveyor...and a dang good one at that). Sturgeon Bay, for those who don't know, is the home of Palmer Johnson Yachts.

DSCN4793.jpg

Last edited:
...here's my brother in law's Vinette. Steel boat built in Escanaba, MI. Single Cummins. Vinette built many Great Lakes fishing boats as well.

View attachment 17202

Gorgeous vessel. May I ask, in a case like this where the cockpit space is limited and no upper deck area for a dinghy, how does he utilize the mast and boom?

The nice thing about a Great Lakes Steel boat is they can last long time. The towing company I work has two boat that are 60+ years old and they don't get that much love but still get the job done. The ultimate trawler is totally related to the operational area.

Gorgeous vessel. May I ask, in a case like this where the cockpit space is limited and no upper deck area for a dinghy, how does he utilize the mast and boom?

The wooden dink is actually sitting in chocks (cross ways) on the aft end of the trunk cabin. If you click on the photo it will enlarge for a better look.

As funangler points out, these steel Great Lakes boats are survivors...this Vinette was built in 1964. The engine is the same vintage and runs perfectly. I can vouch for the fact that this tough ol' girl has seen some very big, nasty water over the years. The Vinette yard is still in operation, and I'd bet they'd build a new one for anyone with a little cash.

Britt wrote:

I like it. where can I buy one have you any idea?

It's a custom build Britt. The one I posted was built by a builder in Surrey, BC who I believe has since gone out of business - Reyse Marine. I was interested in having one built back in 2004 and got a quote of $564,000 CDN which wasn't too bad for me as the exchange rate was around $.60 on the dollar. But right after that the dollar started weakening and I am lucky I backed out.

I went so far as to visit the designer Micheal Kasten when he was in Port Townsend and I went up to Reyse Marine 2 times to talk to them. The wide body design on Kasten's site is a result of my request for a bigger salon.

There was one for sale on the east coast awhile back but I don't know its current state. You could put a search into Yachtworld for an aluminum 40 footer and maybe it is still there. That one had a roll tank for stabilzation.

Ron

Britt wrote:

I like it. where can I buy one have you any idea?

It's a custom build Britt. The one I posted was built by a builder in Surrey, BC who I believe has since gone out of business - Reyse Marine. I was interested in having one built back in 2004 and got a quote of $564,000 CDN which wasn't too bad for me as the exchange rate was around $.60 on the dollar. But right after that the dollar started weakening and I am lucky I backed out.

I went so far as to visit the designer Micheal Kasten when he was in Port Townsend and I went up to Reyse Marine 2 times to talk to them. The wide body design on Kasten's site is a result of my request for a bigger salon.

There was one for sale on the east coast awhile back but I don't know its current state. You could put a search into Yachtworld for an aluminum 40 footer and maybe it is still there. That one had a roll tank for stabilzation.

Ron

I tried a search but didn't get any hits. Certainly an impressive vessel. Thanks for the info Ron.

Here are some sketches that Tad Roberts did for me many years ago, on exactly the same idea. Note that the pilothouse unbolts to fit into the container.

I love the covered cockpit/short wheelhouse with 2 cabins. I have 20 year old sketches similar to these (in concept only!) over a 40' Navy captains gig. One of these days it will come to be.

Tad nailed it with the removable house.

I love the covered cockpit/short wheelhouse with 2 cabins. I have 20 year old sketches similar to these (in concept only!) over a 40' Navy captains gig. One of these days it will come to be.

Tad nailed it with the removable house.
Check "Boats and harbors" classifieds...

I think there is a converted 40 foot captains gig in there...low profile with 2 cabins....saw it in there yesterday.

Something from Steve Seaton's pen would do me just fine...

Or a converted Danish fishing boat,

Or a Romsdal,

Or one of Devlin's Kokanees or Sockeyes,

Or a William Hand motorsailer,

Or a ...

I have met Mr. Kasten several time as the Seattle Boat Show and Anacortes Trawler Fest. I talk to him several times about adding bilge keels to the Eagle as shown on http://www.kastenmarine.com/chantage_64.htm to help present the Eagle from rolling over and reduce the roll a bit as I do not want to add stabilizers if possible. He has several dozen boat designs/lay outs. Don’t drool to much! :socool:

The next one !!

Or if we can't sold our actual ....our actual boat, :whistling:
even if she is not perfect, but alway boat is a compromise .
I like Tad Robert design LT56, but also some Kasten are not far from our "ultimate" choice.
And just if one day we could try one of my dream a long narrow, boat with a minimum drag for circumnavigation ...non stop

In my point of view :
-lenght betwen 54' to 64'
- beam maxi 16'6"
-shoal draft (4')
-small air draft (around 10') for European canals
-L/D 120/150
- displacement full load around 65000 lbs
- Tankage around 2000/2500 us gl
- one part of the bottom flat to be able to stand up alone in tide area
- small mast but with sufficient sail to arrive somewhere :confused:
- selfrigting ability :rofl:
- relatively small engines ( clearly our actual 2 X 215 hp are too big)
2x110 or even one 215 hp will be enough

Finally one boat very near our actual Hoa

just change the hull lines from that
structures-et-cotes

to that
structures-et-cotes

Or if we can't sold our actual ....our actual boat, :whistling:
even if she is not perfect, but alway boat is a compromise .
I like Tad Robert design LT56, but also some Kasten are not far from our "ultimate" choice.
And just if one day we could try one of my dream a long narrow, boat with a minimum drag for circumnavigation ...non stop

In my point of view :
-lenght betwen 54' to 64'
- beam maxi 16'6"
-shoal draft (4')
-small air draft (around 10') for European canals
-L/D 120/150
- displacement full load around 65000 lbs
- Tankage around 2000/2500 us gl
- one part of the bottom flat to be able to stand up alone in tide area
- small mast but with sufficient sail to arrive somewhere :confused:
- selfrigting ability :rofl:
- relatively small engines ( clearly our actual 2 X 215 hp are too big)
2x110 or even one 215 hp will be enough

Finally one boat very near our actual Hoa

just change the hull lines from that
structures-et-cotes

to that
structures-et-cotes

only complaint I would have is the slip fees because of her length

healhustler said:
Very nice. If I was a Laker, I'd sure be looking at that one. It looks like a good value. Thanks for sharing that one.

Would this boat make it down the Mississippi to the Gulf Coast? Any draft or clearance problems ? Could a newbie do that trip?

Spy,
Seaton's boats aren't lookers but great boats if you like heavy for heavy's sake.

W Hand ...... now there's some great boats. Handy Billy is a Hand design. I don't like motor sailers myself.

Back
Top Bottom