Aft versus Forward Cabin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you like Tollly's you'll really like equivalent Ocean Alexanders. The 39-42-44-46 are all Monk hull designs as is the 44 Tolly. Very similar boats. the 42-46 are aft cockpit/sundeck boats, which is the best of all worlds. Thinking of putting our 44 up for sale this September...

All are left coast boats. Bummer.

How is the boarding?

bb -

Depends on the model/length/boat-year Tollycraft you purchase. Look into many of the pictures in Yachtworld link I pasted into my previous post for you... there’s a whole lot to see! :thumb:

Our 1977 34' tri cabin Tolly is easiest entered from floating dock via star board side slide door into large, well windowed and bright center salon (see avatar and picture). Can also be entered off swim step up a short ladder to rear main deck and then directly in through the master state room’s huge hatch/door... or by a short walk to the starboard slid door. It has a fully equipped up-galley. Private-door, center isled, double and single beds master stateroom to stern w/ full length slider windows on both sides, good sized hanging 2/3’rds height closet, big hatch/door, big draws in centered bureau, 4 huge under beds’ draws, plenty of shelving, and a big/full head with sliding window, deep/wide recessed med cabinet, and incorporated shower. Private door large forward V-berth w/ 2/3’rds height closet, under bed storage, shelves, hatch to forward deck, port hole, and a fair sized full head with recessed med cabinet, port hole and incorporated shower pan.

40’ Tolly tri cabin are the same basic layout as our 34’ tri but a bit larger inside and with a cockpit usually having rear entry door off swim step.

Reason we chose the extremely affordable 34 Tolly is many fold... one big reason is that it fits anywhere we go and still gives us ample room as stay-over accommodations to easily support up to six people for a weekend or a week. With just two or three it’s like having a self contained mini condo – that’s very seaworthy and we can swim off!

BTW – We can get right between 2.75 and 3 nmpg by running on one engine at a time and cruising at 6 to 6.5 knots water-speed (that = 1.58 knots less than its 7.58 calculated hull speed). Or, we can get there fairly fast by firing up the twins and cruising around 16 to 17 knots while still getting about 1 nmpg. WOT is 21 to 22 knots with way too many gpnm – lol! :rofl: :lol:

Attachments

• Craig, Taune, Linda Morning Coffee.jpg
    Craig, Taune, Linda Morning Coffee.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 75
Heritage East yachts had an aft cabin trawler that had actual steps molded into the boat from the swim platform up to the aft deck. Looked like it would solve the biggest drawback to that kind of boat.

bb - There are some of both type boats in South U.S. - check around... ;)

One of the oldest OA dealers in the country is in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin. Our 44 is in Michigan...on the salt free Great Lakes. A beautiful summer cruise to the east coast via the Great Loop circuit.

Last edited:
We are looking at both aft cabin & cockpit boats.

Our dilemma is, how do you handle the awkward boarding & disembarking with the aftcabin?

For us, there is no awkward boarding drama. We have a sliding door from the aft cabin to the cockpit, as well as a sliding door at the lower helm into the salon.

99% of the time, we are stern in, and disembark thru the aft cabin onto the cockpit and then onto the dock. When we have guests for longer for a day trip, we have a dock ladder for disembarking via the starboard side door.

What I learned is I need to get off the computer and look at some real boats. I will start this summer. Thanks again.

You might want to go to a boat show/trawler fest so you can go on and compare layouts/design. Once you know the lay out design you can then eliminate a lot of boats. We spend the first year going to boat shows, going on different design/lay outs and size. Don't be concerns about brand name and or dollars yet, just go on boats and enjoy.

If I hear the sound of water on the Eagle something is wrong!:eek:

Last edited:
I appreciate being able to simply step onto the boat rather than climbing steps/stairs.

img_141361_0_8e7e7ec03a78e815b0b63d627e26829b.jpg

We just put a deposit on a sedan. The idea of climbing a ladder to board was a bit much for us.

Congrats, Please share the details as soon as you feel comfortable. Hope all works well.

More congrats! Easy access from the dock, (as well as the swim platform) was one of the main compromises we made in selecting our boat. If a key crew member has any infirmities, it is an operational consideration. We have a nice aluminum ladder that attaches to the gunwale which we put in place for immediate docking and departure ops. Hatteras also thoughtfully put a reinforced port light directly below each side gate, which I have used to get on and off, but you need to be fairly spry and long legged to do that. Then a set of articulating stairs that goes in place if we are going to be there awhile which make it very comfortable for anyone to board.

Once we had a good idea of what ergonomics were important to us, from actual cruising experience, it made it easy to evaluate boats at the dock. "How do you get on and off this thing?" is one of the first questions. My next move was to go directly to the helms, put my hands on the shifters, and look around to see how much visibility there was. And so on down the list. Obviously, the first one was not a show stopper for us. The second one was, as was side decks for reasons I articulated a few moments ago on another thread, as were galley and engine room layouts.

Congrats, Please share the details as soon as you feel comfortable. Hope all works well.

Thanks everyone. We still have a ways to go on this one.

It's a 35 Mainship Med. We liked it because of the nice sized salon, galley, separate shower & a motivated seller.

Next is finding a quality surveyor in the Stuart Fl area.

Congrats - Good Luck!

I appreciate being able to simply step onto the boat rather than climbing steps/stairs.

img_141588_0_8e7e7ec03a78e815b0b63d627e26829b.jpg

You would be climbing down at quite a number of docks on the Great Lakes. These docks were at more than 5 feet off the water last June when this photo was taken...perfect height for walking aboard an aft cabin sundeck. (Slow start to the boating season as we were the only boat in the marina...never did fill up last summer).

DSCN7441.jpg

Last edited:

The only thing better than that is stepping on the swim platform and entering your cockpit through the transom door. :D

Attachments

• IMG_3866.jpg
    IMG_3866.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_3327.jpg
    IMG_3327.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 90
The only thing better than that is stepping on the swim platform and entering your cockpit through the transom door. :D

....or stepping on the swim platform, entering your cockpit through the transom door, parking your bikes in the handy storage area, and climbing a few short steps to the spacious sundeck with a bug free, panoramic view.. :)

DSCN1475.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, there are bugs as big as a dog up here. And high prices, crowded marinas and anchorages....iceburgs, tornados, and uncharted underwater rocks as big as your house. Then there's all those non-"trawlers"...swarms of Carvers, Cruisers and Sea Rays....lampray eels, zebra mussels, Gobe's, and Fibs....and the Asian Carp...the ones that jump in your boat and kill you if they hit you...are next. The Great Lakes are definitely a place to be avoided....definitely....

Last edited:
....or stepping on the swim platform, entering your cockpit through the transom door, parking your bikes in the handy storage area, and climbing a few short steps to the spacious sundeck with a bug free, panoramic view.. :)

View attachment 17191

Indeed! That is our reality- just add a cockpit to aft cabin sliding door.

Yep a fixed dock at low water changes the dynamic for swim platform entry boats or low freeboard side gates... makes it quite interesting. To give you some perspective, we have been at several docks where we stepped straight across or UP slightly from our side gates. You low slung guys, bring a ladder of watch the SO climbing up the wet slimy ladder attached to the dock!

Fortunately, virtually all public and private docks for recreational boats out my way float.
232323232%7Ffp63562%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D37%3A3%3A336%3A3336nu0mrj

img_141705_1_205ce9a6aa68a15075e4856dacd7bab7.jpg

Yes, there are bugs as big as a dog up here. And high prices, crowded marinas and anchorages....iceburgs, tornados, and uncharted underwater rocks as big as your house. Then there's all those non-"trawlers"...swarms of Carvers, Cruisers and Sea Rays....lampray eels, zebra mussels, Gobe's, and Fibs....and the Asian Carp...the ones that jump in your boat and kill you if they hit you...are next. The Great Lakes are definitely a place to be avoided....definitely....

You left out polar bears, Sasquatch and storms that could sink the Edmund Fitzgerald. :whistling:

Fortunately, virtually all public and private docks for recreational boats out my way float.
img_141707_0_205ce9a6aa68a15075e4856dacd7bab7.jpg
Mark: That boat on your port side with the "big stern", is it a woody? I can't quite make it out in the photo. :D

Mark: That boat on your port side with the "big stern", is it a woody? I can't quite make it out in the photo. :D

No, the steel Coot is amidst two fiberglass boats. The "wrong way" GB42 is Ray's Mahalo Moi. :) So, you're saying FlyWright's butt is larger? ;)

Last edited:
The Coot's swim platform (pictured here in the up/traveling position) isn't wide enough for boarding from the side. Boarding is done through the mid-ship gates.
img_141720_0_674951fcb770746c461a6f2f5f80fbc6.jpg

After looking at many different styles of boats, the Admiral has decided she likes the aft cabin the best because of all of the extra space.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom