Anyone use a Kindle Fire?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GFC

Guru
I opened a couple of bank accounts at a bank in AZ and as my reward for doing that sent me a Kindle Fire.

I'm trying to figure out how to use the darn thing. There's no instruction manual that comes with it and I can't find a decent place online to figure out what I want it to do.

If any of you use one, do you use it on the boat (or are you planning on doing that)?

What I'm trying to do is find a GPS app for it. I downloaded a map program but the Fire doesn't know where I am.

Any help with that or other marine apps you like would be appreciated.

GFC

I don't know about the new second generation Kindle Fire, but the one I got when they first came out over a year ago does not have a GPS in it. It's "OK" for wifi use, (web browsing, email) but not really very fast. I use it primarily as a book reader.
If you downloaded an Android navigation app it's probably intended for smartphones.

Maybe this PDF will help, I also thought of them as book readers.

Attachments

• Kindle_Fire_Users_Guide.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 46
I believe it's the direct competitor of the "Nook Color". My wife owns the Nook and its a fantastic book reader that can surf the web and run apps, it really can not compete with a standard smart phone so far as speed goes online.

Not sure I'd be inclined to use one for anything except reading personally.

If the Kindle Fire uses the same user philosophy as the original Kindle e-reader there should be a user manual loaded on the device when you buy it. If not then the PDF Mike linked in his post should get you the information you need.

My wife and I bought Kindles a couple of years ago and absolutely love them. I don't want to read a "book" book anymore despite my swearing I would never like reading an electronic book.

The Kindle Fire is an unknown to me as we use iPads.

I have a Kindle paperwhite that Santa brought me. Whoever designed these things certainly had boats in mind. Load a bunch of books and be done. The ops manual is loaded on it . a quick tap at the top of the device boots it up.

I opened a couple of bank accounts at a bank in AZ and as my reward for doing that sent me a Kindle Fire.

I'm trying to figure out how to use the darn thing. There's no instruction manual that comes with it and I can't find a decent place online to figure out what I want it to do.

If any of you use one, do you use it on the boat (or are you planning on doing that)?

What I'm trying to do is find a GPS app for it. I downloaded a map program but the Fire doesn't know where I am.

Any help with that or other marine apps you like would be appreciated.

GFC

Yes, Kindles are generally thought of as readers. I doubt it has a GPS in it like iPads can, depending on model. I could wrong, I have not heard of the Fire, but were you lead to believe it has a GPS, or were you not aware of that requirement?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom