The ultimate trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I had a K. Krogen 58 or even the new 52, I would consider myself set for life as far as boats go.

And PS, while we are talking Ultimate Trawler, I'll take Tad's Perigrine 76 in steel, with twin Luggers. Maybe he'll post a sketch of that too if we ask pretty please.

Here are sketches of Tad's Peregrine 76 and Peregrine 86:

Attachments

• peregrine76.png
    peregrine76.png
    74 KB · Views: 124
  • peregrine86.jpg
    peregrine86.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 110
I basically own my ultimate trawler with some minor changes. However, it interesting that many of the boat listed are long, narrow, low profile and a high D/L ratio. which is what many of the boats back in the 50,60 70 & 80 where.

We prefer pilot houses design with the house pulled back mid way, a reasonable size stern deck and easy access to the swim platform/water/dock. Also interesting that many of the boats do not have side decks, mainly because the being narrow which would make the salon/house extremely narrow. We also like the wide bodies for the added living space.

How ever if I had the bucks and not so attached to the Eagle the Delta and the Northern Marine are my favorites.

Delta 70 ft – Seattle Washington
http://www.deltamarine.com/cp_70007.html

Northern Marina –64 – Anacortes Washington
http://www.northernmarine.com/lrcs.php?sm=lrc

I have been through both plants. At several boat shows/and trawler fest have talk to the owner of the Northern marina at length. Both Delta and Northen Marina are a heck of a boat. Both are also single engine.

Last edited:
A lot of people think the Dashew FPB does not qualify as a trawler, maybe they are right.
Personally, I don't think there is a better boat out there, if I won the lotto I would be in there like a shot......., and surely we could consider it a trawler that has been subject to the Darwinian theory for a while......?

pretty good write up if it is accurate and took someone lots of work:thumb:

The ultimate boat would seem to change with the operators age.

At 70 I would prefer a custom build of an aluminum boat 39 long 7.6 wide Atkin style ,Box keel, reverse deadrise ,beachable , that would fit into a std shipping container.

The transit time it takes to travel could be done by the boat in the box, we would fly over to cruise. .

This opens the entire world to a low cost boat , that need not be oceangoing.

The Euro Canals , the Dalmation coast, New Zeeland , Terra Del Fuego , China , all from the recliner in a 7487.

Such a skinney boat (sez the computer) would run 18K at -5 gph, or 12K at 1.5 gph.

The boat would be built for 2 but could sleep/feed 6 in a very crowded pinch.

Is it a"trawler"?

Nope it would liik like a 1929 Commuter , but it would easily travel the world. High and dry.

not a bad idea. Just be sure you have your passport handy when they open the container to let you out:)

To me the "ultimate cruiser" question cannot be answered until another question is answered first. And that is, who's going to maintain and do the work on the boat?

If the answer is "I am" that immediately defines a whole different type of boat than if the answer is "somebody else will."

As to the " ultimate trawler" question, I don't know much at all about trawlers. So I'd have say my ultimate trawler would be one that's real efficient to use, has an easy and fast to deploy and retrieve trawl gear setup, and makes a lot of money for its owner.:)

Awhhhh come on Marin. Making this pointless point for the 20th time isn't going to change anything. We all know what a trawler is despite what you think. Very few people outside the fishing fleet think a trawler trawls for fish. Almost all consider a trawler to be the subject boat of this forum. In 1950 you were right but now if you refer to a fishing trawler you need to state that fact to keep the conversation on track. This is the trawler forum and none of us has a trawl.

However your "toy boat" contention flies.

1971 Bruckman (custom division of C&C) displacement hull, 37' X 11', 22000lbs. (dry), single Perkins HT6-354, 1.2gph at 7.5nm/hr My wife made me sell her for a bigger boat. I will regret caving on that one for the rest of my life.

Attachments

• PCYC LOA.jpg
    PCYC LOA.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 112
Greetings,
Mr. Eric. Now if y'all are referring to a drawler, there's lots of us southern boys on board...

Awhhhh come on Marin. Making this pointless point for the 20th time isn't going to change anything. We all know what a trawler is despite what you think. Very few people outside the fishing fleet think a trawler trawls for fish. Almost all consider a trawler to be the subject boat of this forum. In 1950 you were right but now if you refer to a fishing trawler you need to state that fact to keep the conversation on track. This is the trawler forum and none of us has a trawl.

However your "toy boat" contention flies.

:popcorn:....thank you sir. the ultimate trawler is like the ultimate pin up girl, she will be different in everyones eyes and may not even be a girl in some cases. I think mine is similiar to Marin's, seaworthy, economical, comfortable, fast, and almost maintenence free.......no, not economical downright cheap to operate would be better

1971 Bruckman (custom division of C&C) displacement hull, 37' X 11', 22000lbs. (dry), single Perkins HT6-354, 1.2gph at 7.5nm/hr My wife made me sell her for a bigger boat. I will regret caving on that one for the rest of my life.

should have told her to get her own boat to play with then. I mean every family would be happier with more than one boat anyway

Greetings,
Drooler...Could be...
3644d1351895045-drooling-problem-dsc_0116.jpg

yur dawg? not a black and tan? I used to have redbones and raised treeing walker for bear hunting for a spell. Lotsa them in the south. Aint nuttin better than the sound of your strike dog picking up the scent and off ya go! Yahooooo.......I could tell hound stories fur hours. Do9n't do that stuff anymore the mountains grew to tall and me belly too big

Couldn't it also be called drivel? And speaking of drivel, I notice Mr Floyd has almost 1000 post in only a few months! Must be some sort of record!

Ha Ha ! Sorry, I couldn't resist! All in fun.

Very few people outside the fishing fleet think a trawler trawls for fish. Almost all consider a trawler to be the subject boat of this forum.

I think you're wrong there. When we got the GB friends and co-workers here and abroad would ask what kind of boat we had. Knowing they wouldn't know what a Grand Banks was we'd say we had a trawler. And EVERY time the next question was, "Oh, do you fish commercially with it?"

I think the only people who associate the word "trawler" with a recreational boat are the people involved with recreational boats. To the general public, a trawler is still a fishing boat.

So we stopped using the word trawler to describe our boat and started using the term "cabin cruiser." While this doesn't paint a picture of a GB in people's minds they immediately grasp the type of boat it is--- a recreational cruising boat.

Couldn't it also be called drivel? And speaking of drivel, I notice Mr Floyd has almost 1000 post in only a few months! Must be some sort of record!

Ha Ha ! Sorry, I couldn't resist! All in fun.
:D....yep, you be correct. all in good fun:popcorn:

Perfect trawler yacht? For me Delfin's pretty close.:thumb:

For me and the inside passage/Gulf of Alaska, one of these:

Hatteras 60MY

That picture of the Hatteras 60 ... while decidedly untrawlerly, though with modern engines will go trawler speeds very nicely and has a wonderful layout, always reminds me of this pic I took on one.

"You know your engine room is big enough when you start thinking about where to mount the basketball hoop":

P1010096.JPG

That picture of the Hatteras 60 ... while decidedly untrawlerly, though with modern engines will go trawler speeds very nicely and has a wonderful layout, always reminds me of this pic I took on one.

"You know your engine room is big enough when you start thinking about where to mount the basketball hoop":

P1010096.JPG

geez....your engine room is nice

HAHa Marin I think your chances of being right ore about 100-1 but you're sure right about what the correct name should be "cabin cruiser". Dial it in a bit and you get "Heavy cruiser" halving nothing to do w warships.

But if you ARE right the people you were interacting w probably thought you said "troller" instead of Trawler. Almost everyone knows what a troller is.

Last edited:
I think the only people who associate the word "trawler" with a recreational boat are the people involved with recreational boats. To the general public, a trawler is still a fishing boat.

Could I add that such a point of view is probably coming from living in an area where the public may be a bit more educated by exposure to the commercial fishing industry. I doubt that I could enter a port like Glochester, MA and have anyone refer to my boat as a "trawler" without a giggle at the end, a tongue in cheek, or a obvious smirk. But here in Southern Florida, everyone calls my boat a trawler, mostly because it's slow and has one of those stick thingy that juts up from the deck. One person even asked me if the stick thingy was cosmetic.

But if you ARE right the people you were interacting w probably thought you said "troller" instead of Trawler. Almost everyone knows what a troller is.

Nope. I said "trawler." Trawlers are a much more common type of fishing boat in Europe and Asia (and the SE and southern US) than trollers. In fact if I'd said "troller" these folks most likely wouldn't have had a clue what I was talking about as it's not a term any of them would have heard.

I don't know that there are any true trollers left anymore other than the handful that still work the PNW, BC, and Alaska. It's not a very efficient commercial fishing method. It's only appeal anymore is that the fish don't get as beat up as they do in net fishing so you get a more premium product in terms of appearance.

But trawlers are a major deal in Europe and the UK as many if not most of their commercial fish species are bottom dwellers. Mark Knopfler even wrote a popular song for one of his recent albums called "Trawlerman's Song."

When we were filming in Charleston last year we shot some footage at one of the commercial fishing docks over in Mt. Pleasant (don't ask my why it's called that- there isn't a mountain within a thousand miles of the place). All the boats there were trawlers with huge nets, otter doors, the whole bit.

So trawler, most people all over the world know it's a fishing boat. Troller, probably very few people outside the northwest coast of North America know what it is these days.

Nsail:

that's what the ignore list is for. Saves a lot of time!

I tell people (who show any interest), I have a motorboat that can't go faster than eight miles an hour. And in response to their queries: no, I don't fish.

I find just telling anyone who asks we have a trawler style coastal cruiser answers all queries. End of story.

At 70 I would prefer a custom build of an aluminum boat 39 long 7.6 wide Atkin style ,Box keel, reverse deadrise ,beachable , that would fit into a std shipping container.

Here are some sketches that Tad Roberts did for me many years ago, on exactly the same idea. Note that the pilothouse unbolts to fit into the container.

Attachments

• volks395.jpg
    volks395.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 167
  • Volkstrawler.jpg
    Volkstrawler.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 131
Nope. I said "trawler." Trawlers are a much more common type of fishing boat in Europe and Asia (and the SE and southern US) than trollers. In fact if I'd said "troller" these folks most likely wouldn't have had a clue what I was talking about as it's not a term any of them would have heard.

I don't know that there are any true trollers left anymore other than the handful that still work the PNW, BC, and Alaska. It's not a very efficient commercial fishing method. It's only appeal anymore is that the fish don't get as beat up as they do in net fishing so you get a more premium product in terms of appearance.

But trawlers are a major deal in Europe and the UK as many if not most of their commercial fish species are bottom dwellers. Mark Knopfler even wrote a popular song for one of his recent albums called "Trawlerman's Song."

When we were filming in Charleston last year we shot some footage at one of the commercial fishing docks over in Mt. Pleasant (don't ask my why it's called that- there isn't a mountain within a thousand miles of the place). All the boats there were trawlers with huge nets, otter doors, the whole bit.

So trawler, most people all over the world know it's a fishing boat. Troller, probably very few people outside the northwest coast of North America know what it is these days.

not to throw gas on the fire..... oh who am I kidding!

see link below for definition of a " trawler " according to Wikipedia,
I know they are not the end all but.....

Recreational trawler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

HOLLYWOOD

So we stopped using the word trawler to describe our boat and started using the term "cabin cruiser." While this doesn't paint a picture of a GB in people's minds they immediately grasp the type of boat it is--- a recreational cruising boat.
As a kid on Lake Erie, all the boats of the rich and famous were called "cabin cruisers." Chris-craft and Owens were my favorites and I marveled at the people who had enough money to buy one.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom