View Single Post
Old 05-10-2009, 09:23 PM   #28
Nomad Willy
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
RE: Oil cooler on FW instead of raw water side of the cooling system

Yea yea Walt* ..* if I did'nt know I was being baited I would prolly be pissed. A man w any hair on his chest can't let an apparent insult go unchallenged. I may mention those dreadful low numbers again* .. even soon. I could put you on hold* .. what kind of music would you like?
Sloboat, The Es are very hot in warm weather and they have less foot room than a Triumph Spitfire and the gearbox is old school but after that** ..* FANTASTIC car. Five gph at over 8 knots for a boat as big as yours seems like really good efficiency. Is it a Cummins ? Walt does real well w his as I recall. Ganged engines! That sounds really interesting. Have you seen the write up on single engines w twin screws, PMM Feb 05 P 112 ? All done w gears. I think the kind of chain you're talking about requires a box w oil like an old Harley and probably a tensioning shoe of plastic. Are you prepared for an over the counter system or are you thinking of a home grown effort ?
FF, 16000lbs disp, 37hp at about 60% load (22hp) running 2300rpm on a 3000rpm engine w a BW gear w 2.57-1 ratio. and a 18X14 wheel. Burn rate .85gph. Indeed your'e very close* .. oh* .. 6.15 knots. Don't tell Walter we were talking about such rediculus numbers. You may not belive it but at a 75% (28hp) load I can achieve a speed in excess of 6.5 knots. I don't live in fear of 6 or 7 dollar a gallon fuel but* getting to the next port or anchorage before dark can be a problem. Actually it's a rather rare occurance.

Eric Henning
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote