Newbie generator owner stupid question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwhatty

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
"Emily Anne"
Vessel Make
2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Now have first boat that we've owned in over 30 yrs of boat ownership that has a generator and AC system. Can one run the generator when underway rather than just when on the hook? In all conditions or just when its flat water? Any thing adverse to watch out for if we do run it underway (other than increased fuel consumption and gen engine hours)?

-- Edited by dwhatty on Saturday 9th of May 2009 05:52:15 PM

I normally do not run my generator underway because we are usually up on the flying bridge and don't need the A/C then.
Lots of people do, I have never heard any thing wrong with doing it. I have been out on sportfishing charters several times when the weather was hot the genset went on as we left the dock and ran till we got back. You do run up a lot of hours that way especially if you run it at anchor as well but diesel engines are made for that. You won't be able to hear it or see the gauges from the helm so you'll have to check every once in a while to make sure everything is correct.
To be safe you might check the owners manual or check with the manufacturer.
Good luck, that Island Gypsy is a nice looking boat
Steve

Dave:
I don't have a generator on SeaHorse but all my other boats had one and we use to run them underway all the time with no problems.

Walt

Attachments

• photo library - 776.jpg
    photo library - 776.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 94
I have had an instance where the generator water pump lost it's prime in heavy weather and the generator shut down(auto shutdown feature).

David and Emily,*My wife and I run our 8Kw Northern Lights set almost constantly when not at the slip. We generally run both A/C units and this gives us TV, etc.. Smooth/ rough seas, traveling/ at anchor she pretty much runs. I am hesitant to leave the ship unattended with her running (possibly to dinghy to shore) but we do occasionally. Most all units will have an engine shut-down system in the event of low oil pressure or high coolant temperature. I would be certain these systems operate correctly. When you hold the by-pass button down at startup you are allowing the oil pressure to come up before you release the button. This is a great system for an unattended engine. Being on the flybridge will not allow you to monitor your genset gauges- so the shutdown system will protect your engine for you
smile.gif

Steve

Back
Top Bottom