Good-bye TF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Apache II
Vessel Make
1974 Donald Jones
I am moving to an island in the Prince William Sound.

No internet no electricity other than that I can generate myself.

It has been great getting to know you.

Safe harbor and calm seas to you all.

The skipperdude.

Last edited by a moderator:
SD, Your contributions and insight will be missed in these quarters. I have always enjoyed and respected your perspective in our discussions. I hope your new home is everything you hope for. Will you continue baking?

I hope you check in periodically when you reach areas with internet to tell us what it's like living on the island. Wishing you calm winds and productive seas!!

Wow! I hope you LOVE it! We will miss you. I've really enjoyed your photos and posts.

Skipperdude,

Which island? There are many PWS-based cruisers (myself included) who would be glad to swing by with deliveries of fresh veggies, newspapers, or whatever creature comforts would be most sought-after. Also, while becoming internet-free many be one of the advantages of a remote Alaskan lifestyle, Copper Valley Wireless out of Cordova has cellular data service that connects much of the Sound. I know folks in Ellamar and Eaglek Bay who get online regularly this way.

Be safe, and enjoy the peaceful quiet, natural beauty and solitude!

~Steve

Greetings,
You will be sorely missed Mr. SD. Godspeed.

3517jvp.gif

For the last couple of weeks I have been moving.

I have sold the bakery.

I intend to continue with the commercial shrimp fishing as a supplement to income.

I am only 60 so this is not a retirement just a change of venue.

I will be back to town two or three times a month for supplies.

My biggest issue was getting my wife down there as she has MS and confined to a wheel chair.

chartering a LST landing craft was the way I had to go. it is a WWII vintage. It is amazing how much stuff you can load on one of those.

The cabin was already there it just required a few modifications to make it wheel chair friendly.

I have truly enjoyed the Trawler Forum and I will miss it.

Short of cruising full time I think I have the best of the best.

SD

I have sold the bakery.
The cabin was already there it just required a few modifications to make it wheel chair friendly.

Sold the bakery? What ever happened to making an official TF cookie? :blush:

Photos of the "cabin" would be nice!

Best of luck to you, SD!

SD

Congrats on the change. Early mornings should have new meanings for you now.

Enjoy

enjoy the peaceful quiet, natural beauty and solitude!

~Steve[/QUOTE]

Thanks Steve, but that is what I hope to accomplish. To get away from all of that stuff. I don't even plan on having a cell phone. There is a small native village near by in Sawmill bay. If I need to contact any one.

I hope to be self sufficient. in all regards.

SD

Sea ya' later, SD! Check in from time to time if you can. Your photos and stories of crab fishing were great. Gave many of us the dream that we could experience that someday... Good luck!

Cool! Sounds like a very interesting new chapter in your life. Enjoy!

Good luck! My hat is off to you, enjoy your new life!

SD, this is quite a jolt. One of my favorite posters is leaving. You are still a member, please check in with us to let us know you're OK. Best to you and your wife as you make your new life.

Well, you know what they say; "If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space".

A tip of my hat to your daring to dream :)

What a dream SD, hope all goes as planned, enjoyed your company. Send shrimp!!;)

So when you make it down to Seattle, let us know some how. You know you can get Heuys net and they do have satilite phones which I think you can now tether/connect to the internet?

Take care!

Very excited for you and best wishes and prayers. Post pics and updates when able!!!

Living the Alaskan Dream!! SD have fun, always carry a firearm and watch your 6 buddy! :)

Wow!

From SD's post about a village in nearby Sawmill Bay, that would be the village of Chenega.

That part of Prince william sound is where I go fishing, pretty constantly after may 1. We have spent the night several times in every bay in that area over the years.

Heres a link to a map of the area

chenega village, alaska map - Google Maps

For a google earth view just search for "Chenega Alaska"

Folks, SD is moving to the end of the world. This is pure survival at its hardest. Summers are constant rain, and winters are 20 feet or more of snow. The terrain in that area is almost vertical. Bears are everywhere. SD is one tough Alaskan!

Last edited:
Shucks! :cry:

Thanks again eveyone. I will be back on line tomorrow as I am in town getting those loose ends together. And letting the weather calm down a bit.

Got caught in a nasty one a couple of week ago. Snowed into a small cove, then it froze over. I had to raise and drop the anchor over and over to bust a way out to open water.I tried just powering through but it made such a nasty sound on the hull I gave it up. The anchor trick worked pretty good for the most part.
Talk to you tomorrow.

SD out

SD
If you can't repair it maybe it shouldn't be on the boat.

More than just words. I have my work cut out for me, but that is my goal.

Thanks for your inspiration.

Chris

Thanks Skipperdude it has been a pleasure. Please don't be a stranger and give us a nod every now and then.

WOW you are adventurous.. third best plan could have been moving back to St. Anthony you know :).. All the best me buddy..

Long may your big jib draw!

Dude,
I have a friend that lives on an island as far as you can get out on the west side of POW Is. Takes him several hours on his Willard to get to Craig and he comes about once a month for groceries ect.

Some people are meant for the bush and others come and go from same. You don't strike me as a permanent bush type but you will have a grand adventure finding out.

We all will be happy to see you come back or to know you're having a better time of it out there.

Bunches of luck Dude.
Eric

Gee Skip.....You were one of my favorite posters...not to mention, the neatest boat. It just won't be the same around here without you. I sure hope you can check in from time to time. Hard to believe that you're abandoning civilization,... as it were. Thanks for the memorable contributions. All the best.

If that's your dream, I wish you well. That's why we work so hard in our youth, so we can live our dreams when we get older.

Back
Top Bottom