Old 03-12-2013, 03:10 PM   #66
ksanders
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I never suggested a cargo ship simulator for a small boat captain and I don't know how you read that into my post. Obviously, to do any good, the simulator would have to simulate the captain's own boat or something close.

As far as taking one's own boat out for practice in rough water, I think one would be a fool to intentionally head out when small craft or gale warnings were in effect just to see if you could handle the conditions. I don't think the USCG would think was a good idea either as they search for your boat or body.

What we have left is studying advice from books and experienced boaters and then running the situations through our heads over and over so if actually faced with those real life conditions, our reations would be spontaneous and automatic.
Actually when I posted that I was using a cargo ship as an example, of a possibly readily available simulator, since I do not think there are simulators available for your or my specific boat.

As far as going out in SCA's or Gale warnings, thats something that I've built up to over time, and I'm no fool.

Possibly your enviroment is different. Possibly you boat in waters that for example do not have the fetch that the open ocean has, so wave height is limited.

I wish I had that luxury, but I do not. I had two choices, prepare for the worst, or be caught unprepared. I chose to adress the issue head on, and for me that was a good decision. For you it might be unnecessary.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote