Migration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KJ

El Capitan
Vessel Name
Avalon
Vessel Make
Chung Hwa 46 LRC
Starting to see more boats heading north on the ICW.

This little "flotilla" stopped at the Landing for a couple of nights. KJ

Attachments

• FLOTILLA.jpg
    FLOTILLA.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 203
Thanks for the pic of my boat.....yep...heading north as slowly as I can and still get back for the start of work!:D

Up in Harborgate till Tuesday morn.

We are the trawler all the way on the right just in front of the sailboat.

Last edited:
Yup, you passed right by me, (looking very cool I might add). I took the picture from my sundeck.

I got a shot of the last fella in the group.

Very fortunate timing on your part. The day before you got here, the wind was blowing at 45kts.

How far south did you go? KJ

Attachments

• Barefoot Landing.jpg
    Barefoot Landing.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 137
  • FLOTILLA.2.jpg
    FLOTILLA.2.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 125
Went as far as Jekyll Island...spent about 3 weeks hanging out in Isle of Hope Georgia (some time was spent working on renewing my CG license, TWIC and physical...plus waiting for a computer to be shipped)...but was a great spot anyhow to kill some time.:D

Was pinned to the dock in Georgetown during the blow (Hazzard Marine)...a sailboat came in the night before and only gave me a few feet to move forward or back. Spinging out of there would have been a treat even without them..just couldn't justify the chance if anything went wrong. So laundry and tax filing wre in order instead of a brisk day up the Waccamaw.:thumb:

Let us know when you will be in Oriental. Dark-N-Stormys at the Tiki Bar.

Let us know when you will be in Oriental. Dark-N-Stormys at the Tiki Bar.

Calendar says 21-23 March..will probably stay two nights in Broad creek as a friemd just boght a marina there.

We may try the Outer Banks on the way north versus the ICW if the wether is OK...that may shift th dates a round a few days.

I haven't been at Barefoot since 2006 (2005 ?) and they were just installing the power posts when we left. I guess that means its not free anymore ?

Calendar says 21-23 March..will probably stay two nights in Broad creek as a friemd just boght a marina there.

We may try the Outer Banks on the way north versus the ICW if the wether is OK...that may shift th dates a round a few days.

Cool... I assume you mean the Paradise Cove. Met some friends of the people that are opening it back up at Toucan bar Saturday night... Friends of your friends I figure. :socool:

We may or may not be down that weekend. Just depends.

Tom-

I haven't been at Barefoot since 2006 (2005 ?) and they were just installing the power posts when we left. I guess that means its not free anymore ?

$1.50 / foot (electric included). No shoreside facilities, the docks were so-so condition, not a great deal but convenent walk to stores/restaurants...but really not provisioning.

Should be a $1.25 / foot based on the marinas I have been at for the last 3 months.

Cool... I assume you mean the Paradise Cove. Met some friends of the people that are opening it back up at Toucan bar Saturday night... Friends of your friends I figure. :socool:

We may or may not be down that weekend. Just depends.

Tom-

Can't remember the name...but it's a small marina on the right as you come into the creek.

Debbie and Scott...good people.

He's a big fisherman...has a nice 32' Blackfin named "Black Magic".

Last edited:
Some more folks heading north. KJ

Attachments

• LOOKIN' GOOD.jpg
    LOOKIN' GOOD.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 109
  • migration.2.jpg
    migration.2.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 98
  • migration.3.jpg
    migration.3.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 116
Looking at the slide show, it looks like you got there at noon. Enjoy your stay. Wish we were down and could take you out for drinks or supper. Let us know how Paradise cove is. We'd love to stop by over there this season.

More folks on the move. KJ

Attachments

• MIGRATION.6 GOING SOUTH.jpg
    MIGRATION.6 GOING SOUTH.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 114
  • MIGRATION.8.jpg
    MIGRATION.8.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 109
  • MIGRATION.9.jpg
    MIGRATION.9.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 114
  • MIGRATION.10.jpg
    MIGRATION.10.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 119
  • MIGRATION.12.jpg
    MIGRATION.12.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 110
  • MIGRATION.13.jpg
    MIGRATION.13.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 108
  • MIGRATION.14.jpg
    MIGRATION.14.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 119
  • 6000 MILES TO RIO.jpg
    6000 MILES TO RIO.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 112
I Like that Rachel J running with a bone in her teeth.

Wow! I haven’t heard that expression for ages. When my son and I sailed on SF Bay I would say to him “that boat’s got a bone in her teeth”.

Yeah, the Rachael J was a sweet looking boat, but I was really interested in the boat after it, with the forward spar. It looked very Spartan but very capable.

I liked “La Familia” also.
I thought I saw Tony Soprano driving it.

Not much traffic today. It’s very stormy, but there are a few brave souls out there. KJ

Attachments

• MIGRATION.15.jpg
    MIGRATION.15.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 109
  • MIGRATION.16.jpg
    MIGRATION.16.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 108
The white bow wake being pushed up. Usually you see it on tugs running "hooked up".
On the Rachel J she looks like she means "BIDNESS".

Yeah, the Rachael J was a sweet looking boat, but I was really interested in the boat after it, with the forward spar. It looked very Spartan but very capable.

KJ, that one is reminiscent of the old Chesapeake Bay buy boats.

img_144303_0_87659fa83d4608ea366a79f87efbde75.jpg

Not much traffic today. It’s very stormy, but there are a few brave souls out there. KJ

Pining for more boat pics but your well has run dry here. So I looked on the Oriental town dock webcam and saw that Rachel J pulled out this morning.

2 more days until we splash and head to Oriental ourselves. Hoping no issues with engine start after being on the hard for 5 months.

Phil-a "Bone in her Teeth" means she is gong fast enough to push white water at the bow. Hence the "Bone"

Flipper

Saw these critters on the Waterway today. I've been told it's unusual to see them this far down from the inlet. KJ

Attachments

• Dolphin.1.jpg
    Dolphin.1.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 93
  • Dolphin.2.jpg
    Dolphin.2.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 96

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom