View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #10
Moonstruck
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
George, you are quite right that Boca Grande and Captiva can both be reached by car. I just don't think you get the same experience when you arrive by car. When going by boat you go to bed and wake up with the community. You are more immersed in the experience. Plus there is just something more exciting to me arriving in a new harbor. Marina Jack's in Sarasota and the Crows Nest at Venice can both be reached by car, but it is not the same experience.

For my style of cruising, I would do one night at Boca, 2 nights at Pelican Bay, stop at Cabbage Key, then one or two nights at Captiva.

I could spend two nights at Southseas. The restaurants there are good. Then there is the Mucky Duck, the Bubble Room, and the Green Flash restaurants in the village. I just enjoy it all. Everything is very first class at Southseas. Nice after a few nights at anchor.

I love Grandma Dot's at Sanibel Harbor. It is also a short walk to good shelling. There is much to do. Naples is wonderful, but too far for the time. You could drive there also.

Useppa Island is beautiful. It is private and by invitation only. Steve is right there are two anchorages there. One off the main channel from the ICW, and one on the East side of the island.

That's just my style of cruising.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote