Where do you go in your boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
With all the recent talk about coastal cruising vs passage making, I'm curious to hear how members actually spend their time on their boats. Where do you go? How long are you out for a trip?

Where did you go last year, and where do you plan to go this year?

I'll start off. I'd consider us Coastal Cruisers without any doubt. We are based in the Boston area so boating is seasonal. We do plenty of day trips, mostly out to go whale watching, but occasionally around Cape Ann or into Boston. For multi-day trips we have gone to Block Island a number of times plus up the coast to Maine. Last summer we rounded the Downeast Loop which is a cirumnavigation of the Northeast US and the Candian Maritimes. It as about 2800 miles and 10 weeks. Lots of fun. This summer we plan to head back up to Nova Scotia, then possibly out to Georgian Bay in Lake Huron. Then to the Bahamas for the winter.

Sounds like a great plan.
Once I bring our boat north (now in Florida) in early May, we'll do some local trips (NYC area) in May and June. Once my wife is free in July, we'll head up towards Maine and hopefully as far north as Nova Scotia, for the rest of the summer.

Richard B.

We departed in September, 2012, for a year long cruise around the Great Loop.

America's Great Loop Cruisers' Association

Currently we are on day 156, and have traveled 3,335 miles averaging 21.4 miles per day. We expect to cross our wake in August, 2013.

You can follow our trip daily posts.

Adventures of Great Laker

This is proving to be a wonderful experience, far different from summer cruising around the Great Lakes. We are not live-aboards, but long term cruisers. We still have the home and come back periodically as required.

Usually we make a 3 month trip down to Ft Myers/ Sanibel Is., once went on to the Keys. Ageing parents and grandkids growing up have made us cut back. Didn't get out at all last year. We are hoping to get to Apalachicola this year if all goes well leaving March 22 to be back mid May.

We boat out of Charleston, SC so we go either north or south on the ICW We seldom bother going out unless we'll be out for a minimum of a few days. We'll go north to Georgetown or Myrtle Beach or south to Beaufor or Savannah. Last May we went south for the entire month to cruise Florida's St. Johns River.

http://www.widman.biz/indigo/Adventures_of_HIGH_COTTON.pdf

We were planning on cruising the Chesapeake Bay this spring but medical issues have put that on hold. But, there are still lots of places to visit within a few days travel time. It's the "smiles", not the "miles" that count. :)

For 9 of the last 10 summers we've spent 2-3 months cruising the coast of BC and/or SE Alaska. Plan to do SE Alaska again this year.

We boat out of Seward Alaska.

During the spring and summer we go out for a minimum of three nights, anchoring off in a cove in the early evening and fishing by day.

From our local bay, we are out in the Gulf of Alaska so we have a continous swell, and have to watch the weather carefully. We like going east with an approx 30NM crossing to get to Prince William Sound, where the water is flatter and much more comfortable.

Once the weather turns snotty in august, and the salmon start coming back into the bay really thick we generally just go out and troll around, returning to our slip in the evening. That is very relaxing with none of the big water challenges.

Last spring we brought this boat (which was new to us the fall before) from Anacortes Washington some 1500 NM.

This summer I'll be either taking the boat for an excursion to Kodiak Island, or I'll be hunting for a IGFA record Ling Cod in the Gulf of Alaska. My son is planning vacation and it'll be just the two of us, no admrials for this one.

We're leaning towards the Ling Cod, but we'll see as it gets closer.

Mostly in the area shown below, but with occasional cruises further "Downeast" or southwest "up" the coast to the Boothbay region and harbors in between.

Preliminary plans and preparations for a possible 2014 "Little Triangle Loop" trip south to NY, the Hudson River, Erie Canal, Lake Ontario, Canadian canal system and then back down to Lake Champlain, Champlain Canal, Hudson River and home.

Attachments

• PenobscotBay.jpg
    PenobscotBay.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 155
This is where we've been in our boat. Most will recall.
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s36/long-way-home-ii-7008.html

Now we are in Puget Sound and will be cruising locally. The first trips after we re-launch Willy will be south into the Seattle area. I'll want to go into Lake Washington and do speed/rpm runs along the Evergreen Point floating bridge. I want to spend smoe time anchoring in the south end of the sound cooking, reading and dinghy boating.

We want to get back into boat club stuff w the Albineers of BC and Willard Yahoo Group activities and perhaps others.

That's the past and the future and here's the present ... hauled at Latitude Marine in LaConner.

Attachments

• DSCF0692 copy.jpg
    DSCF0692 copy.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 108
We're on the Columbia River, just a few miles upstream from where the Snake River dumps into it. With our last boat (330 Sundancer) we towed it to Anacortes, WA and spent two weeks playing in the San Juans and over to Victoria.

Currently we hardly ever pass up a chance to get on the boat, even if it's for just a few hours of cruising. We boat all year, starting off each year with a New Year's Day cruise and ending with the Christmas Boat Parade.

The longest trip we've made with this boat in the 2 years we've owned it was to Portland, OR last year, a round trip of about 550 miles. We're thinking of doing that again this summer.

Plans for the future include heading up to the Gulf Islands for 4-5 months but that won't happen while my 97 year old MIL is with us. She's in great health so that trip could be a couple of years away.

Until then, we cruise the Columbia and Snake Rivers. In the summer we spend about 15-20 weekends aboard and last year put 165 hours on the meters.

What a great life.

So far we've used the GB between Bellingham and Desolation Sound. Most of our boating has been in the San Juan Islands in Washington and the Gulf Islands in BC. Planning a two week run to Princess Louisa this fall. We've been there many times in the float plane but ave never taken a boat in. We have good friends who want to go up by boat so we'll make a vacation of it.

Long term goal is to take the GB to SE Alaska for a few months. Again, we've done this trip countless times in the plane but taking the boat up should be a very different experience.

We take our small boat up the north end of Vancouver Island every June for a couple of weeks of salmon and halibut fishing in Blackfish Sound, Knight Inlet, and the surrounding islands.

Now we are in Puget Sound and will be cruising locally. The first trips after we re-launch Willy will be south into the Seattle area. I'll want to go into Lake Washington and do speed/rpm runs along the Evergreen Point floating bridge. I want to spend smoe time anchoring in the south end of the sound cooking, reading and dinghy boating.

I don't know if you've ever cruised the South Sound but if not, you're going to love it! They limit the access by 36' GBs and have been quite successful at it. In past years, 36' GBs with dogs aboard have been problematic.:peace:

Be sure and pull into Poulsbo for lunch. They have a ton of great places to eat and they're all within easy walking distance from the boat. You'll think your in Scandinavia.

Walt and VB,

Can one really find a place to tie for lunch in Poulsbo ?

VB I really liked your little map. I see it's Google. We're just off the top of your map.

GBs are like little kids that won't eat their vegetables.

We are leaving May 1st for Northern BC and Alaska. This will our second time, the last was 2009. The trip will take about 5 months. The last time I told myself the next time I did this I would have a fishing/crabbing/shrimping/exploring boat with me. So Tuesday we go pick up a new 19'aluminum boat. Really looking forward to this. The 12 foot shore boat just didn't gt it last time.

Depending on the free time available, & the size of the cruising kitty, we'll take the boat as far & as often as we can, Based on the Chesapeake we have a wealth of cruising locations open to us. We have been as far south as the Keys on the ICW; 4.5 months. Hoping this year to head North for part of the summer.

I'll be spending the next few years between 49°N and 51°N in between Vancouver Island and the mainland. Lots to explore there.

Russ,
The big dinghy is probably a good idea. I'm going to try to tow a 16' aluminum OB w our 30' boat this summer. I've towed dinghys before and frequently It's well worth it.

Eric--- Dont know about taking a boat to Poulsbo for lunch as we have never done it since we have about as much interest in boating the south Sound as we do in boating a Walmart parking lot (which come to think of it is pretty much the same thing). :)

But we've taken the Beaver into Poulsbo numerous times over the years for lunch. The floatplane dock is that angled extension on the left side of the marina in the diagram in post 15 above. So we can say that the access from the marina to the main drag in town is quick and easy.

But I must admit that we don't see the appeal of the town at all other than some of the restaurants are very good. Compared to harbor towns in the Gulf Islands, San Juans, and even La Conner, Poulsbo is kind of a yawn in terms of its setting and visual appeal. Particularly if you're used to the unique harbor towns of SE Alaska, as you are.

My own opinion is that I think after where you've been boating these last years you'll find the south Sound pretty boring and visually unappealing. There are some great places to fish down south-- Possession Point, Point No Point, Tacoma Narrows, etc.--- but outside of that we don't see the appeal at all, from the water or the air.

But if you've never been down there I suppose it's worth taking a look. There are some very nice marinas if you're into that sort of thing. Port Ludlow, Port Orchard, Eagle Harbor (Winslow), and Gig Harbor in particular are quite pleasant, or used to be (I've been to these places on a friend's racing sloop I crewed on years ago).

Last edited:
I don't have anywhere near as much time to go long distances or stay out for as long as some of you can and clearly do - and I'm damn jealous...!
However, we do have a have a large, interesting, and fairly sheltered, (but can get pretty rough in the more open parts), bay, just on our doorstep, called Moreton Bay, which is where we do most of our cruising. There are many islands, so huge number of places to go, but I still have a desire to get up the coast a bit more when able, hoping to make it at least to Hervey Bay, and Fraser Island, a place Benn, (Tidahapa), covered quite well on another thread recently.
This Xmas/New year just passed, (in between cyclones and floods), we did travel down and out the Southport Seaway, and right up the outside of the flanking Islands, (the second largest sand islands in the world, after Fraser mentioned above), and back in at the top round Cape Moreton. Not that adventurous, but it was 11 hours solid travel, the longest trip we had done in one leg. You can see a good schematic of the Bay here..... http://www.queensland-australia.com/moreton-bay-map.html

As a 18' trailerboater, we splashed at over 100 different ramps from Key West to Homer AK, San Diego to Block Island. Also a run from Lauderdale to Bimini. When cruising local waters we'd stay aboard for anywhere from 1 day to a week. We never stayed at marinas.

Now that we moved up to the 28' houseboat, we stay in fresh water. Five local lakes, St Johns River and Lake Powell so far. We (my wife Suzy, my dog Merlin and I) enjoy the boat on the road almost as much as the water, spending nights mostly in Walmart parking lots. A week on the road or a week on the water is not unusual, often with daughter, son in law, grandson and grand dog. We still don't do marinas.

... and Lake Powell so far. ...

Late February we visited Antelope Canyon on Lake Powell:

img_141428_0_faa488de324cbd14410e0afa90ceb1c4.jpg

As well a walk through upper Antelope Canyon (looking skyward here):

img_141428_1_db42c42b40cc485f6895a67fa3aa67ad.jpg

Lots of "wows."

Any where from the Chesapeake to SW Florida including the Bahamas and Florida Keys. Where ever the boat is is where we go as the boat has no permanent home. We will leave the boat at one place for several months, and cruise/explore that area. We are trying to figure out where we want to go next. The boat is in Ft. Pierce, FL at present.:smitten:We love it.

Since June 2011 in this boat it has been Ft Lauderdale to Maine to Marathon, FL and all points in the Chesapeake. Logged a bit over 8,000 miles. Logged about 12,000 miles in the prior boat. Charleston to the Hudson and everywhere in between many, many times. trips ranged from hours to seven months

Marin wrote;

"My own opinion is that I think after where you've been boating these last years you'll find the south Sound pretty boring and visually unappealing."

Thank you Marin,
One of the attractions is the great anchorages and shallow water down there. Probably good sandy/mud bottoms and lots of places to go w the skiff. I know Olympia is a good port to go to and there may be others. Lots of calm water and good anchorages to read a book or so. And probably far fewer boats as there is in the islands to our north. But of course when we get bored we'll come back and visit Seattle on our way. I want/need to pay Lake Washington a visit to see how slow/fast our boat goes. It's all going to be fun Marin .. good times on the water.

Last edited:
I don't know how the south Sound compares to up north in terms of boats on the water. What with the fishing and sailboat races and the fact there are simply a ton of boats berthed down there it's been my observation from the air and while fishing that the south Sound can get really busy and crowded. Not that the northern waters don't, particularly in the summer months in the more popular harbors and marine parks.

You're probably correct about the anchorages and bottoms.

If you've never been down there I guess it's something to do that's different.

We just find it very tame and dull compared to even the San Juans, and of course as you know from experience it just gets better and better the farther north you go. It's noisy from traffic and other shore noises and the constant jets overhead, the bluffs are lined pretty solid with houses, the landscape is flat other than the Cascades and Olympics far in the distance (when you can see them).

Hood Canal is actually quite pretty although the water is almost dead of life from the oxygen depletion and low water turnover.

But if you like marina hopping and exploring the associated towns the south Sound seems to have a lot to offer. Not our cup of tea, though. We like wilder country.

South Sound

To some, "South Sound" is Everett/Seattle/Tacoma with a lot of boat traffic and shore development. The real "South Sound" is South of the Tacoma Narrows where there is very little boat traffic and shore development is sparse.

South Sound is somewhat like the San Juan Islands without the traffic and shore development. What the South Sound lacks in islands it more than makes up for with quiet inlets to explore. It's a gem.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom