FL 120 water pipe replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meridian

Guru
Vessel Name
Meridian
Vessel Make
Krogen-42
As I'm replacing all my cooling hoses on my FL 120, I noticed that the 2 pipes that run along the starboard side of the engine could use replacement after 30 years. I took them to the local muffler shop. 10 minutes and $15 later I had a new set. Good deal!

As I'm replacing all my cooling hoses on my FL 120, I noticed that the 2 pipes that run along the starboard side of the engine could use replacement after 30 years. I took them to the local muffler shop. 10 minutes and $15 later I had a new set. Good deal!

Curious. Is this freshwater or seawater service? Did you use carbon steel or stainless steel?

This is the internal system filled with antifreeze. Carbon steel.

Greetings,
Mr. meridian. Did you notice any deterioration in the old pipes at all or was this a "why not replace" situation?

Large rust nodules on the inside, crevice corrosion where the hoses are clamped on. I believe the hoses are original. I’ll be sure to do a thorough block flush.

Large rust nodules on the inside, crevice corrosion where the hoses are clamped on. I believe the hoses are original. I’ll be sure to do a thorough block flush.
I need to do that on one engine,I bought some proprietary stuff to do it, says to put it in,run engine 20 mins, cool and drain. I`m thinking a second flush with just water before replacing the coolant, about 20L/quarts on a Lehman.
Can you let us know how it goes, and the lowest point you find to drain from?

When I belonged to the local Model-A club, we would clean out 75 year old blocks using, among others, dissolved dish washer detergent, run it till it's hot, then flush.

dissolved dish washer detergent, run it till it's hot, then flush.

TSP

TSP is "illegal" in some places , but the gals would raise He** if some politico messed with the dishwasher !

So TSP is in most dish washing soaps , so easy to find in "prohibited" areas.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom