1991 Perkins 6.354.4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hendo78

Guru
Hi all,

I am after the specs for a 1991 Perkins 6.354.4 non turbo engine oil dipstick.

There is absolutely none in the country and the Perkins supplier wants $86.00 for the part and a further $96.00 postage plus an 8 week wait due to the item being in England.

Has anyone got the same age motor that can provide me with the size details of the dipstick PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE?

I'd rather make one than pay the sharks their prices :-/

I would be eternally grateful if someone can help out.

Regards
Hendo.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Could you not get any dipstick that fits, fill with required amount of oil and then mark the dipstick appropriately or am I missing something here??

Greetings,
Could you not get any dipstick that fits, fill with required amount of oil and then mark the dipstick appropriately or am I missing something here??

Hi RT. no you're absolutely right mate, but I have no idea on the length. Perkins won't tell me cause they want the $182.00 and they apparently changed on every model. Believe me when i tell you i have tried lol. If I get no joy from here I will do some research on the min and max oil levels and make a dipstick based on that. Crude way of doing it but its desperate times as this is the only thing stopping me from starting the new girl up :-/

Use a cut up coat hanger (or similar) to measure the depth of the pan. Then drain the oil and add the proper amount per the manual MINUS one quart. Use coat hanger measuring stick to measure the oil level, then make up a dipstick accordingly. Mark the "low oil" leverl on the stick. Add the last quart and mark the "high oil" level.

NAPA , and the rest have "universal" sticks for almost no bucks.

When you change the oil refill one quart low , mark the new stick, add the last quart , mark it again.

Then measure it out and write it in the log book.

I have all of the tech manuals for 6.354's. I will look and see if there are specs on it.

All of the above sounds good. I will send you dimensions of my 354 dipstick anyway. Do you need engine and boat manuals?

Attachments

• Cheri Jo Boat and Sammy in Mississippi 014.jpg
    Cheri Jo Boat and Sammy in Mississippi 014.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 233
Thanks heaps Tom and Sam. Will eagerly await your findings

The dipstick tube is straight up and down and about 200 mm long as seen below the fuel pick up in the attached pic

If its not to much trouble I would love any manuals I can get. Please PM me for my email if that's ok??!

Thanks so much for your support guys!

Attachments

• image-1075747029.jpg
    image-1075747029.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
The level the stick will show will depend on the angle of the engine ,

so marking your own will be more accurate than the factory mark for a level engine in a truck or tractor.

Adding the factory stated amount of oil only works if the engine is completely empty to start with. If there is any built up "crud" in the oil pan or if you can't completely empty the engine because you're sucking the old oil out through the dipstick, adding what the factory says it takes will overfill it.

Dipstick from rim to end (seated) is 69cm. Full is 66.75 (seated) and min is 68.

Greetings,
Mr. H. Here's a thought. Fill the crankcase with the required amount of oil as per factory specs'. Temporarily plug the dipstick orifice and fire that puppy up. Take a video and post it here to make the rest of us even more jealous. AFTER you get the boat finished and launched, THEN make and mark a dipstick. I'm thinking here about Mr. FF's mention of engine angle.

This is the 354 6 cylinder, correct?

Greetings,
Mr. H. Here's a thought. Fill the crankcase with the required amount of oil as per factory specs'. Temporarily plug the dipstick orifice and fire that puppy up. Take a video and post it here to make the rest of us even more jealous. AFTER you get the boat finished and launched, THEN make and mark a dipstick. I'm thinking here about Mr. FF's mention of engine angle.

Hahaha yeah my luck I would either put too much oil in and send the rear oil seal flying across the paddock or not put enough oil in and cease it lol. I'll wait till I make the dipstick. I can however take a video of the motor and make the engine noises instead and have my fiancé hold a smoke machine near the exhaust if you like?

FF makes a valid point. Thanks for your input FF. I will level the motor out first where she sits rather then do it when it's in the boat. The motor has a slight tilt towards the stern and leans to the port side a little. The port side lean I can fix with shims but the actual engine tilt towards the stern I can't as it will throw out the shaft alignment. I could put the engine in and jack up the boat so the engine is level but IMO it would be easier to do it where she sits.

Besides, I still have to paint the bilge etc before I put the heart back in her ;-)

Last edited:
Dipstick all done and fitted. Thanks to the boys that helped out with the info and pics etc!

Cheers
Hendo

Attachments

• image-609517758.jpg
    image-609517758.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 100
  • image-546357371.jpg
    image-546357371.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 92
  • image-465648444.jpg
    image-465648444.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 97
Greetings,
Mr. Hendo. Well., where's the damned "Vroom" video?

Haha you posted it the other day mate! Lol.
Nah im Going to paint it up first then fire it up. Want her to look sexy in her first movie ;-)

When I do I'll post it in my original post and email it to ya ;-). This thread can be closed off now ;-)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom