fix trans/oil/heat exchanger hose ends

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meridian

Guru
Vessel Name
Meridian
Vessel Make
Krogen-42
When I pulled the hoses attached to the trans/oil/heat exchanger on my FL 120, I collapsed a few of the metal ends not realizing how fragile they are. Any ideas on how to round these out other than careful working with a pair of pliers?

When I pulled the hoses attached to the trans/oil/heat exchanger on my FL 120, I collapsed a few of the metal ends not realizing how fragile they are. Any ideas on how to round these out other than careful working with a pair of pliers?

What sort of connection is it? Maybe JIC?

Photo maybe?

I've used an expansion bolt (like the idea kind you set in a hole drilled in concrete) with fair results on a similar problem. You could also see if you can find and borrow a proper mandrel too.

That's exactly what I need, 3/4" and 1 1/2".

Think I'm buying new ones in that situation. Seems like a big risk to save a few bucks.

Think I'm buying new ones in that situation. Seems like a big risk to save a few bucks.
Me too, assuming Meridian is saying is the ends of the the oil coolers are breaking up. Unless you can get back to sound pipe, buy new ones, my Lehman ones cost around $150 in grey primer, I think we are advised to replace them at 2000 hours.

Greetings,
I agree, new ones but....Mr. meridian IF you want to take the chance and I wouldn't, (ri$k and expen$e) here ya go...
Harbor Freight Tools
Didn't see any as small as 3/4"

Last edited:
I think the oil coolers are less than $100 each at Fisheries. No way I'd put them back on if the hose ends are so worn that they are collapsing as you pull the hoses off.

If you're going to replace the coolers themselves it's smart to pay the extra money for a cupro-nickel cooler as opposed whatever the less expensive ones are made of. Cupro-nickel lasts a LOT longer than the other kind.

The reason they are bent out of round is I used pliers to try to break the hose loose. The ends are not worn or thinned out, just out of round.

Buy new hoses. You won't regret it. You can buy at a shop that makes them up per your old ones (many NAPA stores do) or get standard lengths from McMaster-Carr, etc.

Sorry, disregard. I re-read the thread and commented on the wrong area.

Last edited:
I'd consider new for this reason. Once the tube has collapsed or even has a pucker in it's roundness it probably only has a fraction of it's former strength. Hose clamp pressure may de-form it easily and that would open the door to leaking or even coming apart.

You might try working a tapered bung back in slowly...rounding with a rubber mallet or soft block of wood as it goes in.

I did the same thing and you don't need it to be perfect...the pressure is pretty low so if a smidge of the tube is round enough and clamped well...AND doesn't leak...you should be fine.

Now if they are truly creased, then I would look at having a new neck brazed on or buy new as that crease may quickly develop into a crack out past the hose soon enough.

If you're talking about what I think you are talking about, a good auto radiator shop should be able to make quick work of repairing or replacing the ends.

Back
Top Bottom