Hello.....From North Carolina

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We are getting a nice quorum of locals here to perhaps justify a group (no rafting please!) anchor out somewhere like Ocracoke, South River, Cape Lookout, or any of the other fine anchorages within 50 miles or so of Oriental? I used Oriental as it is the most central vis New Bern, Morehead City, Washington, etc. Our boat accommodates 20 or 30 people easily, we've had as many as a dozen dinghys tied up to her.

Let's do something sometime in the spring. South River is always nice.

Leanbh Cailin --- Unique boat name -- I googled it to find it's Gaelic for "Baby Girl"

Nice.
Might be interesting listening to the radio conversations??
Bob

We are getting a nice quorum of locals here to perhaps justify a group (no rafting please!) anchor out somewhere.

You guys do have a great group of locals. Some time back Al(FlyWright) started a social group for those of us in SF Bay and Delta that has worked out wonderfully for us. (Thank you Al) I noticed Walt(Seahorse II) has started one for San Diego recently.

One of you guys might think of starting one soon? The real benifit that I've noticed is some folks don't check all the forum posts but when posted to the group meet ups won't get lost in the forum. I think that's why our meet ups are so succesful.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/groups/

I noticed Walt (Seahorse II) has started one for San Diego recently.

Apparently we don't have any other trawler types in San Diego as my group has been stuck at 2. (Me and SKnapp. :cry:)
We have several great places for anchoring, rafting or overnight slips, within a 1 hour cruise from Harbor or Shelter Island & these are all in the Bay! Then, there's marina hopping up the SoCal coast and none of the marinas are more than 25-30 miles between them.:confused::confused::confused::confused: Come on, you guys and gals!

Last edited:
Never mind Walt.... here on Lake Ontario, we don't seem to have anyone joining in a group!

You guys do have a great group of locals. Some time back Al(FlyWright) started a social group for those of us in SF Bay and Delta that has worked out wonderfully for us. (Thank you Al) I noticed Walt(Seahorse II) has started one for San Diego recently.

One of you guys might think of starting one soon? The real benifit that I've noticed is some folks don't check all the forum posts but when posted to the group meet ups won't get lost in the forum. I think that's why our meet ups are so succesful.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/groups/

If you need some more recruits, there is a pretty good group of posters over on the Delta forum on BoaterEd.

Well to let everyone know.....we did not close on the Mainship.......didn't have enough room for the wife and it would not be any fun at all living on a boat that she wouldn't be happy with. But an offer has been submitted on another boat with all the room she needs and that offer has been accepted......so we won't have a trawler but a motoryacht. Still going to cruise her and do some trveling up and down the ICW. Hope to hear from all of you.

But an offer has been submitted on another boat with all the room she needs and that offer has been accepted......so we won't have a trawler but a motoryacht. Still going to cruise her and do some trveling up and down the ICW. Hope to hear from all of you.

What kind???? Don't leave us hanging!!

I don't want to say anything to jinx the sale......but it has 3 staterooms.....twin Detroits......and everything she will need to be comfortable.......Only problem I may have is the length of the finger piers at NWCM.

We are thinking of New Bern next winter as an alternative to winterizing and staying in the Chesapeake. We are going to drive down in April and have a look around.

Lots of great places on the Neuse River! New Bern proper at the NB Grand Marina, Bridgeton across the river, NWC, Oriental, Morehead City Yacht Basin, Beaufort!!! Come on down!

I don't want to say anything to jinx the sale......but it has 3 staterooms.....twin Detroits......and everything she will need to be comfortable.......Only problem I may have is the length of the finger piers at NWCM.

I wonder if you are looking at Stan and Laurie's Ocean 48? :angel:

I don't want to be too critical because our experience at NWC was a good one. The people there are great and are quick to help out in any way they can... HOWEVER, a boat that size has no business there. Their tee-nee-tiny finger piers and lack of basic upkeep of the docks is one of the reasons we are not there any longer. That, coupled with the complete unwillingness to bring wifi to the marina. Even the paid wifi is down more than it's up and spotty in its range. And the music on the deck of the restaurant was deplorable! Karaoke and really bad solo musicians that would play until 11pm really made it hard to enjoy a nice evening.

Like I said, we really enjoyed our stay and look back on it fondly, but it's really hard to go back to the farm after seeing Paris.

Tom-

Sounds like a Hatt to me? 53?

Does this group allow newcomers? The admiral and I are hoping to move from the Potomac River this summer and look forward to exploring North Carolina.

We stayed at the Galley Store Marina in the pretty historic district of New Bern for a few months and far preferred it to the Grand. Much nicer docks, a good police presence (upscale neighborhood and the cops like to park there to take breaks, calls, etc), pump out in slip for bigger boats, fuel dock, nice store on site, and no bridge opening needed to get in or out. Great walking along the river, downtown, and historic district. Worth considering.

Except the Galley Store is wake central. :hide: May be a different experience on a 53' Hatt though.

Police presence means less compared to live aboards. I just see the dock at Galley Store as just an add-on to the gas station. The Grand is a better social experience. We never had any problems nor did anyone we knew there. Maybe a tourist or two on the docks, but we were totally comfortable there. All the best places are half the distance to the Grand over Galley Store. Consider it, but goto the Grand if you are an outgoing personality. :thumb:

The interesting part? They are only about five blocks apart.

So when did you stay at the Galley Store Tom, that makes you so authoritative vs our 7 or 8 months there? I take it must have been when they were having the break-in issues at the Grand, including the incident where one of the would-be perps drowned, so that's how you came to the "no problems" conclusion.

Have you ever been to the store at the "gas station"? Or Persimmons restaurant on the docks behind the "gas station"? How did the boats at the Grand pump out? Ever walk the dock at both places and compared the quality and size and length? How's the view compare for giving one that "on the water experience"? Noise level at night, especially weekends?

Boaters do tend to be clusterers and followers of conventional wisdom. Same thing that causes them to anchor right by you when you are the only boat in a big anchorage. So if one is in need of clustering, and you don't take the boat out very much if at all, the Grand is certainly the place for that, no question about it.

So when did you stay at the Galley Store Tom, that makes you so authoritative vs our 7 or 8 months there? I take it must have been when they were having the break-in issues at the Grand, including the incident where one of the would-be perps drowned, so that's how you came to the "no problems" conclusion.

Have you ever been to the store at the "gas station"? Or Persimmons restaurant on the docks behind the "gas station"? How did the boats at the Grand pump out? Ever walk the dock at both places and compared the quality and size and length? How's the view compare for giving one that "on the water experience"? Noise level at night, especially weekends?

Boaters do tend to be clusterers and followers of conventional wisdom. Same thing that causes them to anchor right by you when you are the only boat in a big anchorage. So if one is in need of clustering, and you don't take the boat out very much if at all, the Grand is certainly the place for that, no question about it.

Hi George!
Tom and I frequented the Galley Store quite a bit and got fuel at the fuel docks enough to know that our boat got waked alot by passing bass boats. That is our experience as a 35fter.

The NBGM has not had a problem since those kids as far as we know. The music at the hotel ends at 9pm sharp during season. We pumped out whenever we needed to at the Grand without a problem. We had a nice experience there, as it sounds you did at the Galley Store. By the way, the Galley Store has started wine tastings on Friday evenings!!

Anyway, my point is that New Bern is a great little town regardless of which marina you choose. There is something for everyone.

George,
I have stayed at the Galley several times, a couple of days at a time and at the Grand now for almost two years. Sorry there is no comparison. Before you ask yes I have eaten at Persimmons and like the restaurant. Using the unfortunate death of a young man at the Grand as an excuse to not stay there is not justified. You may not know all of the story. Also the Grand is to get electronic gates this summer that will discourage this from happening and it hasn't been a problem since that incident. I would point out that as far away as Northwest Creek the marina was hit by a ration of boat thefts at the same time as the Grand.

But back to the issue at hand. The management, or lack of, at both places is marginal at best, or should I say all three if I include Persimmons. The dirt, from the empty lot at the Galley store is unbearable in dry weather. The crowds at Mum Fest (an event at which I stayed there for) or any other large function downtown are bad. Yes we get some spill over from them at the Grand but for the most part not up close as at the Galley. The store it self is a nice thing to have but we can walk up anytime we need it. He is over priced on fuel and several years ago when there was a shortage he raped folks just like what happened in NJ during Sandy last summer. Fuel was under $3 everywhere else and he was gouging at over $4. We pulled up one day last summer in a 50' SeaRay with three adults right at 6:00 PM. Tied off at the face dock and went up to the deck for dinner and drinks. We were informed that the deck was booked. There were no people sitting on the deck at the time. When we mentioned that, the hostess said there were reservations for all of the tables between 7:00 an 8:00 PM. Yet no one was seated out there presently with a complete wait staff doing nothing. We ordered some takeout and ate on the boat but more importantly drank our own alcohol. When we left at 7:15 there were three or four tables occupied on the deck. Did I say poor management?

One more thing. If we are comparing docks and the view then the new marina across the river in Bridgton is better than most as far as view, size of docks and pump out at every boat. Of course the only place to eat other than Hardee's or Quick Mart is Chez Roy's the little French Cafe that always has some great lunch fried something or other for $5.00 tip not included.

As far as the Grand goes the dock hands are a nice bunch of guys but the management is non existent on a day to day basis. The money problems that have besieged the owners have affected the clients. Now that the hotel and the marina are under different ownership (the newest rumor is that the bank owns it once again) the finger pointing goes on and on. It is very difficult to tell who is in charge of what especially when it comes to the facilities. The men's head is a one hole affair with three showers and three sinks. Now that the hotel staff is taking care of it the cleanness has improved. But one toilet for a 200+ marina is a bit light. Yes there are other facilities in the main building and the annex but that has become a problem now that the hotel is not part of the marina or the other way around.

So to sum it up there is no ultimate place to keep ones boat in New Bern NC. A couple of things that these folks (as in marina owners) need to remember is that for transients to get to New Bern they have to come 20 miles out of their way and for what, a nice town, to be sure but no special attraction. Also that once the marina at the Bridge Point Hotel gets back up and running, which I'm told is in a couple of months, there will again be competition for slip rates. I'm thinking that may be a good thing.

Last edited:
All good comments, Vinnie. We have always stayed at the Grand when we come down for Mumfest, but this year we were told that they no longer had space for transients. I've already booked a spot at the Galley for that weekend. I always liked staying at the Grand, though the heads were a good hike from the west end of the docks where we were always placed. I have not stayed at the Galley yet, but our yacht club had our traditional Mumfest dinner there at Persimmons last year. (Seems we always get a bunch of boats, plus others that drive down for the Festival) and several boats tied up there as well. On balance, given my druthers I'd go back to the Grand. Distance to restaurants, etc is about the same, and I have heard the comments about wakes at the Galley. Plus, there are better spots for a group dinner than Persimmons. The year before, we got the upstairs room at Capt. Ratty's and they did a great job.

Yes, the bank owns the Grand now and it's for sale for $4.5M (neg).

All good comments, Vinnie. We have always stayed at the Grand when we come down for Mumfest, but this year we were told that they no longer had space for transients. I've already booked a spot at the Galley for that weekend. I always liked staying at the Grand, though the heads were a good hike from the west end of the docks where we were always placed. I have not stayed at the Galley yet, but our yacht club had our traditional Mumfest dinner there at Persimmons last year. (Seems we always get a bunch of boats, plus others that drive down for the Festival) and several boats tied up there as well. On balance, given my druthers I'd go back to the Grand. Distance to restaurants, etc is about the same, and I have heard the comments about wakes at the Galley. Plus, there are better spots for a group dinner than Persimmons. The year before, we got the upstairs room at Capt. Ratty's and they did a great job.

Yummmm....Capt' Ratty's!

Hello!

(Man this post list goes on for 3 pages!) My short attention span won't let me read so much. I'm Ben and with wife Debbie, we are on Sand Castle, a 35 Marine Trader Sundeck, currently on the hard. We should be down in Pecan Grove (Oriental) some time in early April, looking at spending a good year there. We've been all up and down the Neuse and also mostly to Cape Lookout and Shackleford Banks.

We brought our boat south after purchase in Solomons, Md for our first trip. Man, what a ride! There's a great and growing group all up and down the Neuse. We've berthed at Whittaker Point, Matthews Point, NBGM, and Seagate marina at different points. We're now trying Pecan Grove for the proximity to Ocracoke and Beaufort, and if time permits this summer, might like to do the Virginia Loop (Norfolk and back, both routes). Our boat is an old one, and we're going through her gradually replacing little bits of her at a time, pretty much building a new one by replacing the old one piece by piece.

Tom, you might like to know, I won't be trolling through any more shallow spots after having my prop reworked this haul-out! It's all shiny and smooth now, rudder too.

See Everyone Out there!

Ben & Deb

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you gotten your slip number yet, Ben?

Tom, 232. I think we are close to you all.

Thanks Tom. Yes, Beard Creek is not where I would take a boat with 5' draft. I went out yesterday and nearly ran aground. The channel had shifted. Naturally, I made sure on the return to hug the green buoys where there was 6-7'. It is just tricky.
I am looking forward to meeting some of the tribe for tips on cruising the area.

I think (suspect) that Bob Fullers Outer Reef is one of the ones made in Bradenton, Florida in the late 70's-early 80's, rather than the steel version.
Mostly 26' and 32 if I remember correctly. Very well built.

Yes, the Outer Reef Trawler was built in Florida and is very well made. I got in Florida and had a lot of work to do on the interior. The front bulk head needed to be replaced and fortunately I found Eugene (Mr. Carpenter) to remake the replacement perfectly. Most of the interior work has been complete (just putting in bigger windows in the salon this spring. Bob

Thanks Tom. Yes, Beard Creek is not where I would take a boat with 5' draft. I went out yesterday and nearly ran aground. The channel had shifted. Naturally, I made sure on the return to hug the green buoys where there was 6-7'. It is just tricky.
I am looking forward to meeting some of the tribe for tips on cruising the area.

Beard Creek. Found bottom with 4' draft trawler with full keel last September. Muddy thankfully.

Got out. Just a little jittery afterwards.

Well to let everyone know.....we did not close on the Mainship.......didn't have enough room for the wife and it would not be any fun at all living on a boat that she wouldn't be happy with. But an offer has been submitted on another boat with all the room she needs and that offer has been accepted......so we won't have a trawler but a motoryacht. Still going to cruise her and do some trveling up and down the ICW. Hope to hear from all of you.

So what's up with the new option?? When will you know for sure?? Inquiring minds want to know!!!

Back
Top Bottom