I need a boat name

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I remember a cutesy name that I really liked.

Risky Business

One thing I will always consider after having a boat w a long name is to give preference to shorter names. They are easier to deal with and communicate better all other things being equal. Another thing I like to see in a name is a recognizable elements. It would be nice to be able to read, hear and understand a boat's name. Why put a name (or a joke (especially a joke)) on a boat that no one will understand. Perhaps a joke in Lebanese would be a joke in itself.

Although I fully understand what the OP is after, (funny name) pick a name that "rolls off the tongue easy" for VHF transmission. As others have pointed out, to call the CG and say something like "Coast Guard- Sea My Thing", although it may roll off the tongue easily, (no, don't respond to that..)it will probably be considered a prank call.

Attachments

• The Office Name_100_1656.jpg
    The Office Name_100_1656.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 97
I am one that doesn't believe in these traditions or in bad luck. To me, it's a hunk of wood and fiberglass. There is no magic to it. However, when you buy a boat whose name is 'Southern Comfort' you tend to want to change it :whistling:

:rofl::rofl::D:D

LI south shore channels/bays, early 1960’s:

There was a 23’ 1948 Chris Craft express cabin cruiser named “Haig and Haig”. Just like the Scotch Malt Whisky. Our young family of five had a duplicate Chris, named SPITFIRE. Ours had a 115 hp straight six Chrysler Crown and would plane right along at some 18 knots with bout 24 knots at WOT. Well... the Haig boat would pass us like we were standing still cause they had a supped up V8 installed. And, the hubby/wife would always toast us while passing with what looked to be cocktails in their hands (rules were a lot looser back then). So... when we finally met them at anchor in a bay one day we learned that their last name was Haig! And, yes, the toasts while passing were cocktails of Haig and Haig whisky, they did like to often imbibe! :facepalm: :D

I am one that doesn't believe in these traditions or in bad luck. To me, it's a hunk of wood and fiberglass. There is no magic to it. However, when you buy a boat whose name is 'Southern Comfort' you tend to want to change it :whistling:

:rofl::rofl::D:D

There are over one hundred US documented boats with that name.

We had the magnificent Missouri (Big Mo) visit, I think in 1988. A photo of her,firing guns on one side, was a sheet of flame with ship just seen behind.

Look at the wake left on the stbd side during firing!!!

Battleship_USS_Iowa_firing_broadside.jpg

Ok, I'll enter my own two cents: So much of life is serious. I believe charming or entertaining names put smiles on peoples faces. I find that important in life. Double-entendre's are thought provoking. We often pull into port and look at boat names. I do NOT agree with foul or obscene names. There is a boat in our port named "Wet Dream". Really? Is the owner a 16 year old boy? At any rate, I'm with you Tom and Art. But,to each his own. As of this morning, America was still a free country..... wasn't it?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 107
Reactions: Art
There are over one hundred US documented boats with that name.

There's as good of a reason to change it right there. Skinny Dippin' has exactly zero other boats with that name. That was one of our criteria when we selected it. Rolls off the tongue, easy to understand on the radio, and literally makes everyone smile when we tell it to them.

My favorite joke name is
Never Again II

Even I like that one.

At first I thought it pushing the ship over but thought later "how could that be".
So it seems it's just air blast.

Tom what does the name Skinny Dippin' mean to you?

Last edited:
Yes. You are free to be stupid and free to be obnoxious. Ever been in a restaurant or mall and seen some jerk wearing a T shirt that says "F**K You" (the actual words with out the "**"s) on it? That's what our forefathers fought for?

The name on your boat tells a lot about you.

Ron, What does High Cotton mean?

Ron, What does High Cotton mean?

"HIGH COTTON" means you are doing well as in "I'm walking in high cotton." Think of the cotton farmer whose crops are doing well and he is anticipating a good harvest. The group Alabama had a song by that name several years ago.

There's a high end restaurant/bar in Charleston by that name and people often ask if we own it. We do not.

The previous owners gave it that name and we saw no good reason to change it.

Last edited:
......... Skinny Dippin' has exactly zero other boats with that name. That was one of our criteria when we selected it. Rolls off the tongue, easy to understand on the radio, and literally makes everyone smile when we tell it to them.

That is a good boat name but in my mind I would associate it with more of a "party boat". My slip neighbor's boat is named "Pain Killer". All his trips are booze cruises with semi naked women and booze. And I suspect something else as well.

Last edited:
All his trips are booze cruises with semi naked women and booze. And I suspect something else as well.

Semi naked? Out here he would be considered a Puritan.:dance:

"Yuki" is a tribute to lady named Yuki from Taiwan, and to the boat's Taiwanese origins. She was dear friend to my wife, and at the time we got the boat, she had recently passed after a long struggle with cancer.
The lettering on the transom was an effort to continue the Oriental theme.

Attachments

• IMG_1021.jpg
    IMG_1021.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 102
At first I thought it pushing the ship over but thought later "how could that be".
So it seems it's just air blast.

Eric-- I've read a lot of naval history and in fact these ships did move sideways a lot when they fired a full broadside. Even the little PT boats would move their bows or sterns sideways under repeated firing of the 37mm cannon on the foredeck or the 20mm Oerlikon on the aft deck. But in reading some great history books about WWI which was the first clash of the so-called "dreadnoughts," Lord Fisher's famed all-big-gun battleships, I read frequent references to the violent sideways movement of the vessels when broadsides were fired. It could be strong enough to throw the unwary off their feet.

Last edited:
My favorite joke name is
Never Again II
Like that!
There is a (actually a series of them) concrete (ferro cement) racing sailboat called Ragamuffin, aka "The Flying Footpath".
We have a clothing brand "fcuk", the company says it means "French Connection United Kingdom" but you rarely if ever hear the long form.

"HIGH COTTON" means you are doing well as in "I'm walking in high cotton." Think of the cotton farmer whose crops are doing well and he is anticipating a good harvest.

Ron, don't waste your breath. He ain't from around here. He could never understand.:facepalm:

I once knew two couples that were partners in a sail boat at Bath, NC. The name of the boat was Four Play.

I once knew two couples that were partners in a sail boat at Bath, NC. The name of the boat was Four Play.

That's an example of a boat name that you don't want to be announcing on the VHF when calling for help or even a bridge opening.

That's an example of a boat name that you don't want to be announcing on the VHF when calling for help or even a bridge opening.

I can assure you that they didn't care about that.

That is a good boat name but in my mind I would associate it with more of a "party boat". My slip neighbor's boat is named "Pain Killer". All his trips are booze cruises with semi naked women and booze. And I suspect something else as well.

OH MY!! :rofl: :dance:

Along the same line as Never Again II, my neighbors boat is named Last Boat IV. I wonder if there's a correlation as he's also on his fourth marriage!! Jolly Time

Had a guy in my old marina that named his boat FUBAR," f#####d up beyond all recognition". He had to explain it 100 times a day. Some people just have no class. We have never been able to identify where "Airswift", the name of our boat came from which was registered by the original owner but we are too superstitious to change it and it is easy to say and is not offensive.

Back
Top Bottom