Engine Zinc's...are they necessary?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's odd.... My 1979 Perkins 6.354's both have pencil zincs in the heat exchangers...and they are 135 NA's...

Mine too. Vintage 1986.

That's odd.... My 1979 Perkins 6.354's both have pencil zincs in the heat exchangers...and they are 135 NA's...

What's odd about that? At this point in time he may not have any pencil zincs left!

I just had my manicooler on the port engine ceramic coated, Greenwater marine exhaust who did the work will as part of their service add zincs. I chose not to have them added to mine. But anytime a heat exchanger is serviced adding zincs may be a option.

Greetings,
Mr. RC. Please tell me more about the ceramic coating of your cooler. I'm assuming your water cooled exhaust manifold. If not, what? Advantages? Cost? Reason?

Greetings,
Mr. RC. Please tell me more about the ceramic coating of your cooler. I'm assuming your water cooled exhaust manifold. If not, what? Advantages? Cost? Reason?

The weak spot on the marinization of the Hino diesels is the aluminium exhaust manifold / heat exchanger (manicooler). The engine is mounted with the front higher than the flywheel end & anything in the antifreeze that settles out lays on the #6 exhaust runner. This material will over time corrode the runner & allow antifreeze to enter the combustion chamber when the engine is not running, which leads to expensive repairs. Changing the antifreeze every other year helps prevent this. Having the manicooler ceramic coated will prevent this from ever happening. The cost of the manicooler at $10,000.00 is what makes this a wise preventative maintenance practice. There is a aftermarket supplier now but the cost is still $4,500.00. I plan on pulling the SB side & have it done this fall. You have to remove the manicooler to get the tubing bundle out to clean & test so that is a good time to send it off for the coating.

Would it be accurate to sum this up by saying that if the manufacturer calls for anodes on the engine or cooling system components, you should install and maintain them and if the manufacturer does not call for anodes, you don't need them?

1972 Perkins 6.354s Zincs on raw water side of the heat exchangers. Had to replace heat exchangers due to PO's neglect on the zincs.

I have a question, my Westerbeke 8BTD gen has pencil anodes in the heat exchanger. Last fall while doing winter layup I tried to buy a replacement for freshwater & the parts dept. couldn't find any from the distributor. Saltwater were available but she couldn't locate a source for freshwater. Has anyone else encountered this, if so what did you do?

Should only have the pencils on the raw water side. The antifreeze protects the fresh water side.

Should only have the pencils on the raw water side. The antifreeze protects the fresh water side.

Yes that's why I was looking for ones suitable for freshwater.

Opps, I call the engine coolant with antifreeze the fresh water side. You are talking fresh water as in a lake. Then you are looking for Magnesium Anodes.

Opps, I call the engine coolant with antifreeze the fresh water side. You are talking fresh water as in a lake. Then you are looking for Magnesium Anodes.

Correct, the marina parts dept. couldn't find them from Westerbeke, I don't know how many other suppliers if any they tried.

Correct, the marina parts dept. couldn't find them from Westerbeke, I don't know how many other suppliers if any they tried.

This may be a silly idea and if it is somebody please call me on it. I recall a thread recently discussing hull anodes where someone gave a link to an online source for them. Perhaps fstbttms was the one whom posted it.

Would a supplier of hull anodes also source them for this application?

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

This may be a silly idea and if it is somebody please call me on it. I recall a thread recently discussing hull anodes where someone gave a link to an online source for them. Perhaps fstbttms was the one whom posted it.

have to call these guys...not sure if their pencils have the correct threads..

Magnesium Rod and Pencil Anodes - | Brance-Krachy

-----------------------------------------------

Years ago, a prominent marine shop here changed my oil and put 5 gal of oil in each of my engines (Perkins says they should hold 2.5 gal), and I saw it on the invoice. Their mechanic swore up and down that he knew these engines in and out, because of the oil cooling system they need more oil and you had to check the oil with the engines idling. Finally we called the perkins distributer to get it straightened out. They ended up pumping 2.5 gals out of each engine and no you don't check them idling.
Larry B

Don't know which engines you have Larry but my Perkins HT6-354 manual says the oil should be checked at idle due to the dry/wet/scavenger pump sump arrangement.

I don't have any engine zincs. I don't have any seawater on/in my engine. And that is no accident.

Zincs on the sea water side of a cooler makes sense to me - despite of what the manufacturer says.

Searios said:
Zincs on the sea water side of a cooler makes sense to me - despite of what the manufacturer says.

My. Volvo tmd41As have zincs in the HE and oil coolers. Perhaps that's why they are sooo reliable and every one wishes they had volvos

My. Volvo tmd41As have zincs in the HE and oil coolers. Perhaps that's why they are sooo reliable and every one wishes they had volvos

You should use a smiley face or something similar when you say stuff that is soooooo funny!!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Both are soft and usually to long, so they can be cut off and easy re thread. I would not rethread the plug!

There was a very long discussion a couple weeks ago about anodes and it was finally ended for fresh water zinc is OK, but magnesium is a scoash/tad better. Zinc for brackish and salt where they last at least a year. Aluminum for salt in hot marinas where zinc do not last.

Zincs last as long as they may. Some boats, some applications, some places.....some a year...some a couple weeks.

So far on this trip of mine...the Lehman zincs need replacement about every 2 -3 weeks plus around 50 hrs running time.

Back
Top Bottom