Mark's Dinghy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wonderful choice Mark. I think as I love the Trinka's lines but have never been in one. Our sailing dink isn't perfect though.

We never sail our dink. We row it but mostly power it w an OB. Slowly getting rid of all the sailing parts. Since it was a sailboat I assume it sailed well and it runs very well as an OB BUT it does NOT make a good rowboat. Seriously lacking in directional stability. The stern constantly wants to overtake the bow so almost 100% of your concentration is required to go reasonably straight. As a sailboat it dosn't have this problem as it has a big rudder attached to the transom. I'm good w oars and is fine for short trips (to the beach ect) but gets old on a long row. There is no reason to think the Trinka is like this but they are both sailing dinks. Perhaps the Trinka is a better row boat than a sailboat. That would be excellent for your app Mark.

Dark green? .... Is this your dark side Mark? There's no substitute for a joyous light and brightly painted color for a proper yacht.

My Trinka will have a dark green hull to match its motherboat, Carquinez Coot.

The Trinka has a long straight keel, with skeg, which is supposed to promote stable tracking either rowed or towed. I've debated with myself on whether to spend another thousand for the sailing rig but decided to go without.

I've debated with myself on whether to spend another thousand for the sailing rig but decided to go without.

I assume you could add the sailing rig at a later date if you wanted to? I've not had as much sailing experience as you have, but I can tell you that messing around in a nice sailing dinghy in an anchorage with a decent breeze is a hell of a lot of fun.

My Trinka will have a dark green hull to match its motherboat, Carquinez Coot.

The Trinka has a long straight keel, with skeg, which is supposed to promote stable tracking either rowed or towed. I've debated with myself on whether to spend another thousand for the sailing rig but decided to go without.

If cash is ever a problem...a windsurfer rig is always easily adaptable...

I assume you could add the sailing rig at a later date ...

There is an extra-cost construction option to permit the later addition of a sailing rig. But use of sail (or engine) would require the boat be registered with the state, and then I'd have to deal with the storage/installation/removal of the sailing rig. Too much hassle for the rare/occasional use of the rig.

You have to register an 8 foot sailing dinghy with the state? That's nuts.

You have to register an 8 foot sailing dinghy with the state? That's nuts.

Sailboats 8 feet or less in length don't need to be registered in CA, but I'm betting the Trinka is a fraction of an inch longer. Manually-powered vessels of any length needn't be registered in CA.

Manually-powered vessels of any length needn't be registered in CA.

Wow....that's interesting. That opens up a whole spectrum of possibilities.:)

Attachments

• trix.jpg
    trix.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 112
Sailboats 8 feet or less in length don't need to be registered in CA, but I'm betting the Trinka is a fraction of an inch longer. Manually-powered vessels of any length needn't be registered in CA.

My guess is that the state simply uses the specs from the manufacturer to determine length. I doubt they'd send somebody down to your dinghy with a tape measure. If the Trinka manufacturer says it's eight feet, I bet that will be just fine with the state of California.

Mark, Congrats on ordering the Trinka, Funny thing this weekend here on the right coast I have been toying with getting the Trinka 10 for our boat.

Never really knew much about them but I really like what I see and hear about them.

We have 2 inflatables and 6hp outboard and lots of assorted gear, I am so done with.

No gasoline on the boat and no registration for the dink, just quietly slipping thru the water without much fuss.

Hope to look at one on Saturday I saw on CL, she happens to be dark green. No response from the seller yet so she is probably Gone!

Good Luck and I am sure you will Love your Trinka!

JohnP

No gasoline on the boat and no registration for the dink, just quietly slipping thru the water without much fuss.

Thanks, John.

Row, row, row ... life is but a dream.

Maybe. But since all the boats I've crewed/captained were/are slow boats, I've been mindful of currents. And like propeller side-thrust, currents can be exploited.

Glad you made it back, Marin! :thumb:

Hey Mark, you raise a good point. Maybe you can help me save gasoline when we are out in the dink next week.

"Life is but a dream!!"

Sorry, Al, balloon dinghys aren't conducive to rowing.

Thanks, Al, but my current thoughts are that I could use the exercise.

Oh, it rows! I've done it after running out of gas, albeit for a short run.

If it's exercise you want, I've got the dinghy for you! :rolleyes:

"Toothpick" oars of the typical rubber dinghy don't make effective use of my muscles, nor do such dinghies have a keel to help keep a straight course.

Last edited:
Glad you made it back, Marin! :thumb:

Yeah, we managed to row out of the current that was sweeping us out a narrow channel out of a small bay. And even it had swept us out we just would have rowed on around the little island to the main entrance of the bay and back to the boat. So it was no big deal in this case.

But it got us thinking about what might happen if it had been important to get where we were going as quickly as possible, say in an emergency or whatever, and we encountered a current we couldn't make progress against or would tire us to the point of not being able to get where we needed to go.

So we bought a motor. Not a big one--- it's a 4hp 4cycle Yamaha--- but it's enough to make good headway in most of the currents we are likely to encounter up here. And while we haven't needed to use it in an emergency it's come in very handy on a lot of occasions. With just me in it and with an extension tiller so I can sit well forward in the boat, it will plane--- barely--- our 9' Livingston.

This was nice to be able to do the other week in a bay in the Gulf Islands when we decided to buy some more block ice. The marina that sold ice was almost a mile from where we were anchored. We were getting ready to depart for our next destination but it only took a few minutes to run over to the marina in the dinghy, get the ice and get back to the boat and get going. If I'd had to row it would have taken a whole lot longer.

And taking the GB over would have been a hassle as we'd have had to change our fenders over and maneuver in and out of the place and so on. Way quicker and easier to zip :)rolleyes:) over in the Livingston which was still in the water anyway.

Last edited:
I'll leave Ray and his well-powered rubber dinghy to cross semi-treacherous Raccoon Strait for Tiburon to pick up ice while we're all safely moored in Ayala Cove, Angel Island. (Go, Ray!)

img_105481_0_c23373e44101407d49d451f72883e615.jpg

Last edited:
My Trinka will be carried on the roof on the saloon, like this stowaway sailing dinghy on the delivery trip from China. Am presently designing a lifting system relying on one of the halyards, the port backstay, and block and tackle.

img_106275_0_2e4aab1cf44dac0b078320d85d9583c0.jpg

So Mark, how did the Trinka work out for you. You must have pics. Have you used it yet? How about a review?

I'm beginning to wonder if he REALLY has a dinghy. No pics, no name, hmmmmmm......

img_139612_0_e5e884af4c2e3a559d72058baf8c6ff6.gif

Marin in the 70s we (former wife) anchored in Very Inlet and were low on water after waiting 3 days for weather to break. Took off in the dinghy rowing and went up the inlet a ways (30-40 min) and realized I couldn't buck the tide coming back. Tied off to a tree. Laid down and went to sleep. When I woke up the tide had almost changed so I went up further but never did find clear water so brought back the brown stuff. Kathleen was concerned as I'd been gone for 5 hours.

Yea Mark may be just all talk but usually he's good for a picture or two.

The Trinka is still in the back yard with the white wrapper covering the green hull. Plan to rig the hoist system on the Coot in the next several weeks. Dinghy's name is C Coot, engraved on the interior transom.

img_139648_0_240215870c508658206acb1690425f75.jpg

Last edited:
Mark, how big is the dinghy, I can't remember. How long from order to delivery? How much was shipping?

C Coot is an eight-footer. It was three/four months from order to delivery (built to order). Shipping was between $600 and $700 :blush:.

I keep going back and forth about what to buy...Bauer, Fatty, Trinka or a Gig Harbor....I can't make a decision. Keep looking on FlakesList but I can't find one. I want a 10 footer.

The "standard" Trinka is a ten-footer. Had the same dilemma. I will say the Trinka is well-made.

Back
Top Bottom