Where is your "home" port and tell us a little about it..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
healhustler,
Our lift is pretty small compared to some around here. One of our friends has his 42' Ocean Yacht on a lift! I have no idea what it weighs but quite a bit I assume. And it does take care of the worry about leaving your boat.

Well greetings from the UK, near Plymouth in Devon with an MT40 Sedan!

Attachments

• DSC02760.jpg
    DSC02760.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 91
  • Marina3.jpg
    Marina3.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 93
Don't recall having any pics of LaConner Wa but here is Willy in her slip. She is not there now as she's hauled close by. She'll be back here in July. Sorry I don't have much to add but LaConner is almost 100% tourist oriented. Kinky restaurants and kinky shops but some have excellent clothing and art stuff and good food is easy to find.

Here's one picture of the town on the channel w the Rainbow Bridge.
I found some more pics. The 2nd one is looking across the channel to the Indian village. That big sailboat probably needs high tide to get out of there. It's a fun place to have a hamburger and a beer in the summer or whatever on quiet winter days.

For geographical specifics requested by Walt LaConner is on the Swinomish Channel that extends south from just east of Anacortes. The tide runs in and out from both ends. The south end is just north of Padilla Bay. I think it takes a bit more than an hour to run it's length. The last pic is of the Hwy 20 bridge crossing the Swinomish Channel.

Attachments

• DSCF0650 copy.jpg
    DSCF0650 copy.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 87
  • all to 12-15-09 141 copy.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 141 copy.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 95
  • STH72135 copy.jpg
    STH72135 copy.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 87
  • STH72134 copy.jpg
    STH72134 copy.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 90
  • DSCF0027 copy.jpg
    DSCF0027 copy.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 90
  • DSCF0646 copy.jpg
    DSCF0646 copy.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Kent Island, MD. An hour and a half from most anywhere in the chesapeake bay.. Baltimore, Annapolis, St Michaels, Tilghman's Island, Oxford, Rock Hall, Chestertown, Chesapeake Beach, Herrington Harbor.

Haha the lighthouse is actually Martha's Vineyard, clicked on by mistake and can't figure out how to delete :angel:

Attachments

• sunset tiglman.jpg
    sunset tiglman.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 94
  • DSCN1551_729.jpg
    DSCN1551_729.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 96
  • mears.jpg
    mears.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 93
  • tilgman Island sunset.jpg
    tilgman Island sunset.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 99
Here's one picture of the town on the channel w the Rainbow Bridge.

Looks like you've got plenty of space for the Willy logo on the stern. Of course, it would look a bit more appropriate with the necessary PNW upgrades.

Attachments

• Willy headed out.jpg
    Willy headed out.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 627
Woops, that really didn't work out optically, did it. That's what I get for posting something so late at night. Anyway, this is better.

Attachments

• Willy headed out.jpg
    Willy headed out.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 607
Our home port is Anacortes WA although we have not been there for over 4 years. We moved aboard 6 years ago, traveled to Alaska twice and then down the coast to Mexico where we've been for 4 years. Next year it's off to Panama.

This picture is at Marina Vallarta in Puerto Vallarta MX

fosborne, I envy you. Did you plan to stay that long in Mexico or did you like the place so much you stayed longer. I've heard cruisers say "we're on our 5th year on our one-year Mexican cruise."

Our home port is San Diego, California, the only major city in America with a Mediterranean climate, mild temps, little rain, and low humidity, ideal for boating 12 months of the year.

Our home port is San Diego, California, the only major city in America with a Mediterranean climate, mild temps, little rain, and low humidity, ideal for boating 12 months of the year.

Ancora, get out of there fast. I too did think all that stuff would be good, but have now learned better. The PNW is the place to be. No blinding sun, no melanoma, your boat won't dry out and crack, and the killer whales will protect you. Now, that is a boaters paradise. Thanks to some of the guys here on TF for showing me the way.:D

We are also on the San Joaquin River Delta, nearish to Art and very close to Flywright and CPseudonym. We boat year round and love that we can be anchored out in quiet seclusion just a short trip from our slip.

We are in a covered slip and miss the views from an open slip but not the heat. We are at the end of the dock though, but for the side tie next to us, so still have somewhat of a view.

Attachments

• 2013-02-16 18.16.32.jpg
    2013-02-16 18.16.32.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 88
  • 2012-10-06 09.49.03.jpg
    2012-10-06 09.49.03.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 2012-10-27 09.23.32.jpg
    2012-10-27 09.23.32.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 88
We are also on the San Joaquin River Delta, nearish to Art and very close to Flywright and CPseudonym. We boat year round and love that we can be anchored out in quiet seclusion just a short trip from our slip.

We are in a covered slip and miss the views from an open slip but not the heat. We are at the end of the dock though, but for the side tie next to us, so still have somewhat of a view.

Jennifer - Ain't it great! But, SHUSHHHH - Don't let everybody lnow! :D

Another Puget Sound boater here- we moor on Lake Union, and can be on the salty Sound in about 30 minutes. We often take spins around the Lake or Lake Washington, as well as do frequent weekend trips to places like Bainbridge Island, Gig Harbor, Poulsbo, and Bremerton.

Yup- it IS God's country!

We boat year round and love that we can be anchored out in quiet seclusion just a short trip from our slip.

What do you consider to be a short trip?

We often take spins around the Lake or Lake Washington,

I'm interested in that comment as my daughter lives in Kirkland and I have the opportunity to buy a small trawler for chugging around the lake. I say trawler because I have seen, in person, what those Lake Washington winds can do. The private docks, however, are loaded with Cobalts of all sizes.

If you were to take a complete circle of Lake Washington a 8 knots, how long would it take?

What do you consider to be a short trip?

Our favorite place (thank you Al) is 45 minutes if we don't have to wait for the bridge to open. An hour if we do have to wait. There are a plethora of other places within an hour or two. Come visit. :)

Say hi to Drew Brees for me, Who DAT!

I'm interested in that comment as my daughter lives in Kirkland and I have the opportunity to buy a small trawler for chugging around the lake. I say trawler because I have seen, in person, what those Lake Washington winds can do. The private docks, however, are loaded with Cobalts of all sizes.

If you were to take a complete circle of Lake Washington a 8 knots, how long would it take?

Walt, Lake Washington is about 22 miles long. A trawler putting around the lake (about 45 miles total) at 8 knots can make a full day of it. You can anchor at Andrews Bay, Gene Coulon Park, Cozy Cove, Juanita Bay, Kirkland Marina, Meydenbauer Bay, and Yarrow Bay as part of your cruise, though.

Lake Washington is about 25 miles long so about 8 to 10 hours. Being fresh we use to tow the run about out in the middle and ski/tube/scurf all day, use the Eagle as a mother ship. There are only a couple places to anchor. Most were usually packed so we just drift. Go out about 10 before the thermals kicked up and back about 7 when the thermals died down.

We miss Lake Union.:cry:

Last edited:
You can anchor at Andrews Bay, Gene Coulon Park, Cozy Cove, Juanita Bay, Kirkland Marina, Meydenbauer Bay, and Yarrow Bay as part of your cruise, though.

Those last 4 (red) are relatively close together. I'm not familiar with the other 3 and their location on the lake. I've been through the locks a couple of times and what little I know about Seattle, I'd probably wind up at Elliot Bay. I was curious about the lake but I'd prefer being on the sound. Actually, my preference would be up where Marin is but he said it's closed to all Californians. :popcorn:

So, we're talking about 4-6 miles from your slip?

I just plotted it on Open CPN.

It's 7.2 NM from PG's marina along a lazy stretch of the south fork of the Mokelumne River. At the end of that trek lies a very serene, private and peaceful lagoon...just a 5 minute dinghy ride from a store/restaurant/bar/water toy rentals. Everytime I go there I feel like I'm a hundred miles from civilization.

Wait a minute now, I thought Marin was from California? :confused:

That's right, Sausalito. But when I was just a wee lad my mother realized the terrible mistake that had been made so we emigrated to Hawaii where I lived until I moved to the PNW almost three decades later.

Sausalito was just a fishing and railroad town when we lived there with a smattering of artists and writers (of which my father was one) living on derelict boats in the harbor. We didn't live on a boat, we lived in a fisherman's cottage one block off of Bridgeway.

I've been back once, sent by my employer in the 1980s to hire a helicopter and film a huge saltwater pumping rig Boeing had been involved with heading out of the bay and under the bridge bound for Prudhoe Bay in Alaska. Afterwards I had some time to kill so I drove over to Sausalito, Tiburon, and San Anselmo, places I had spent time as a little kid. Needless to say there was no resemblance of any kind to the towns as I remembered them.

Other than to change planes at SFO or LAX I have not been back to California since.

Last edited:
In Tiburon, I miss the railroad yard, turntable, and dock for loading railroad cars on barges for voyages across the bay.

Yes, I spent a lot of time there watching the switch engines work. My mom and I even got to ride one around the yard for awhile.

Hey Ruthless! Kent Narrows, huh? Does the background of my avatar look familiar?
John

It's 7.2 NM from PG's marina along a lazy stretch of the south fork of the Mokelumne River. At the end of that trek lies a very serene, private and peaceful lagoon....

Let's see, 7.2NM in 45 minutes is ?? nmph. Ummmm....fast trawler! :ermm:

Maybe it just seems that fast...I always underestimate that trip. Now I know why!

My home port is Tupelo, Ms., birthplace of Elvis!! My boat is located 20 miles east on the Tombigbee Waterway, a man-made canal which is about 45 miles south of the Tennessee River. The waterway connects the Tn Riversystem to the Gulf of Mexico. Out my back door, I see all the Loopers pass by in the Fall. Jolly Time

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom