Aft versus Forward Cabin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The aft cabin/forward cabin issue is really about boat size. There is only so much room on a boat.

When looking at boats we found that anything less than around 40- 45' boats generally (but not always) had a vee berth for the forward bunk space. If you want a queen berth it almost has to be an aft cabin design in a smaller length boat.

Looking at mid 40' boats and larger they generally can have a queen berth wedged into the front of the boat.

On a pilothouse style if you use the pilothouse as an access path to the forward cabins then at around 45' -50' you could have a mid queen berth full width stateroom.

On our boat we do not feel different motion in the forward berth vs the mid berth, but the mid berth is somewhat quieter in terms of wave noise, but it is also right along the companion way and close to the galley so other boat noise comes into play.

We carefully considered aft cabin designs and loved the roominess, but they can be a real pain for fishing. Nothing beats a real cockpit for fishing.

We did look at a 44 or 45' aft cabin that someone had put a canvas roof over the sun deck, filled in the area beneith the rails with something, and removable eisenglass up higher. That made for a HUGE covered porch. They had nice wicker furniture back there and the space was impressive!

Last edited:
If you want a queen berth it almost has to be an aft cabin design in a smaller length boat.
Looking at mid 40' boats and larger they generally can have a queen berth wedged into the front of the boat.
We carefully considered aft cabin designs and loved the roominess, but they can be a real pain for fishing. Nothing beats a real cockpit for fishing.

Kevin: It is possible to get most of those amenities in a much smaller boat. Including a separate shower from the head and a nice helm station.

Halvorsen 32' Gourmet Cruiser:smitten:

Attachments

• IMG_3859.jpg
    IMG_3859.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_3357.jpg
    IMG_3357.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_1531.jpg
    IMG_1531.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_2849.jpg
    IMG_2849.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_3325.jpg
    IMG_3325.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 117
  • DSC07030.jpg
    DSC07030.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
If you're talking about a diesel cruiser in the 35 to 42 foot range the two most typical configurations are tri-cabin and sedan/Europa. We have a tri-cabin and the big advantages are:

1. Two heads.(Huge advantage.)
2. Guests and owners have their own cabins with the "neutral ground" of the main cabin between them.
3. The main cabin offers the occupants of the aft and forward cabins the opportunity of a place to read, make coffee, etc. without disturbing the people in the other cabin.
4. The forward cabin provides great storage when we don't have guests, which is most of the time.

The advantages of the Europa are:

1. Larger main cabin than a tri-cabin of the same size.
2. Direct same-level access from the aft deck to the main cabin.
3. Larger forward stateroom and head than on a similarly-sized tri-cabin.
4. In the case of the Europa, a covered aft deck that can be enclosed with transparent curtains and heated to provide a great living space even in inclement weather.
5. More spacious aft deck for socializing, fishing, etc.

The disadvantages of a sedan/Europa, particularly in the smaller sizes are:

1. No separate guest stateroom. Guests have to sleep in a berth made up in the main cabin.
2. Only one head.

For a couple who doesn't anticipate cruising with guests very often or ever, in our climate we feel the Europa has the advantage. For a couple who is going to have guests on occasion or a lot, we feel the tri-cabin has the advantage.

The only way to get the advantages of both is to move up to a larger boat. A GB46, for example, can be had with up to three forward staterooms and/or a couple of heads in the Europa configuration.

Last edited:
Kevin: It is possible to get most of those amenities in a much smaller boat. Including a separate shower from the head and a nice helm station.

You have a very well designed space efficient boat there.

Nice!!!

A number of people have said it comes down to how you want to use the boat - I think it comes down even more to how a specific boat is laid out. That said, we've always had v-berths. Not because that is necessarily where want to sleep, it is just that is how the boats we've looked at and owned have been laid out. I will say that in our Nordic there is some chine slap. As others noted, some people go to great lenghts to avoid the sound. Us? We hardly notice it and find it relaxing. Then again, we live in the city very close to a fire station and often have helocopters flying over our building, so maybe we are just less bothered by noise in general. I do appreciate what Tad said about being able to check the anchor from the v vs an aft cabin. We also really like having the open cockpit in the back for swiming, hanging out and fishing, and can't imagine having to climb up a ladder from the swim platform to the sun deck. But, that is just us.

Very nicely appointed vessel and a prime example of how easy the access is to virtually every part of the vessel without climbing.

My wife is a bit clasutrophobic so the forward cabin wasn't an option, at least in the 38' range. Besides space, she needs lots of natural light so the aft cabin fit the bill.

We are in the same situation, retiring next year and currently learning and trying to decide what is important. There has been some great information on this thead.

We are in the same situation, retiring next year and currently learning and trying to decide what is important. There has been some great information on this thead.

Not necessarily as it relates to what you and yours will be comfortable in. None of the rest of us are you, at least I don't think so. Take the chine slap issue. I absolutely can't stand it. We have friends and know others with the boats where I couldn't tolerate it, that sleep like a run down hound up there.

Virtually every issue discussed here is the same way.

Have had both.
Loved the fwd V berth in our first sailboat. Kept that one 11 years, did lots of anchoring out.
Nest sailboat had an aft berth. Also loved it and anchored lots for 6 years.
Present trawler has the aft berth. double bed size. Neither sailboat had such luxury. We also have a fwd V berth that is acres bigger than our first sailboat. No, I haven't tried it out in 19 seasons, cause the aft is so good, and that is where SWMBO sleeps.
Distance from our aft cabin to the foredeck to check the anchor is the same as from the fwd berth, as you must go to the midships side doors to get there, from either end. I tend not to bother anyway, cause after so many years, once I set it, I know it will remain just where I put it. In the morning, it is always there, at the end of the chain!

Wen we started looking, after we sold our yacht, I favoured the aft cabin, as I thought we would have company cruising more often. My wife preferred an aft cockpit, and we couldn't stretch to one large enough to have the best of all worlds like a large sun decker or a sedan/Europa big enough to have a separate guest cabin forward. So she won out, but she was right. We found that the kids were of an age they seldom wanted to come, and if they did, the pull out settee and the table both make quite good doubles in the saloon. We also found we seldom ended up taking out friends other than for day sails. So she was right, and I was wrong, and I'm totally ok with that. Chine slap does not worry us, and as I posted on the anchor alarm thread, a change of significance in the conditions changes that sound enough to wake me every time, but not if it stays constant, so both issues solved.

Thank you all so much for the great response to my question! You gave me a lot to think about. This forum is awesome and a tremendous resource. I dont think I could ever get this much unbiased info from walking the docks and talking to folks. This thread is a keeper and I will be referring back to it again and again as the search goes on.
Thanks again and I hope to see you on the water sooner rather than later.

Good luck in your search and enjoy it. Nothing better than messing around boats. As you progress through your search, keep notes on what you like and don't like. Take pictures of both. This is a big undertaking and an expensive one. Take your time.

Thank you all so much for the great response to my question! You gave me a lot to think about. This forum is awesome and a tremendous resource. I dont think I could ever get this much unbiased info from walking the docks and talking to folks. This thread is a keeper and I will be referring back to it again and again as the search goes on.
Thanks again and I hope to see you on the water sooner rather than later.

So tell us, what did you actually learn that is relevant to you personally?

What I learned is I need to get off the computer and look at some real boats. I will start this summer. Thanks again.

IF you like boating the purpose is to be on the water.

There is a huge difference in lounging in a cockpit that is on the water line ,

and being 20 ft up in an oxygen tent overlooking the water.

Like the difference between a beach cottage and the 5th floor in a condo.

Both are "water front" BUT...

Our covered aft deck can be very easily as open or closed as we like. Thus we can enjoy being 7 ft above the water 365 days a year. Which is why it is by far the most used room on the boat, and gets the most love from people who have fair-weather-only open cockpits. Cockpits are very nice, no question about it, but per the "length" thread, it wasn't worth the compromise to us. To me their main advantage is getting on and off the boat to the dinghy or to floating docks which is a significant factor to consider especially if you are not "spry". If we want to be really next to the water, there's the Whaler.

The height of a sundeck is often just enough to escape the swarms of bugs near the water. Our boat has both...sundeck is the place to be.

Lots of different schools of thought here.

To have or not to have a aft cabin, at least for us was for easy access to the boat for goods and taking the dog to and from her business, so not to have was our answer. Also, being lower makes it far easier for the wife to handle the lines in the stern for docking as we generally travel with just the two of us.

As for having a covered aft deck to lounge. Absolutely, especially if you are a live a board. You can always open the side curtains and let air or close it up and protect yourself from the winter elements. But you are out of the blazing sun during the summer and our of the rain during the winter. Canvas is fine but will eventually leak and has a limited life to it, especially with the sun beating on it. A fiberglass hardtop over the aft deck is, in my mind critical. Also, give you a covered entry for when the weather is bad so you track less in.

Yup there's a huge difference....to you.

As noted above, sun decks are generally less than 10 feet off the water, and are thought of as a huge benefit to those of us who have them. We have both (cockpit & sun deck above the aft cabin) and by far the sun deck the preferred entertainment space.

I guess we must not love being on the water- especially as we are liveaboards....:facepalm:

There is a huge difference in lounging in a cockpit that is on the water line
and being 20 ft up in an oxygen tent overlooking the water..
That's the best explanation as to why I like boating that I've ever heard! :thumb:

Yup there's a huge difference....to you.

As noted above, sun decks are generally less than 10 feet off the water, and are thought of as a huge benefit to those of us who have them. We have both (cockpit & sun deck above the aft cabin) and by far the sun deck the preferred entertainment space.

I guess we must not love being on the water- especially as we are liveaboards....:facepalm:

We are looking at both aft cabin & cockpit boats.

Our dilemma is, how do you handle the awkward boarding & disembarking with the aftcabin?

The location of the main stateroom whether in front or back pretty much dictates the design of the boat. So if you like an aft cabin with the greater sleeping room you will likely give up a cockpit that's so convenient when docking something that's real apparent when docking an aft cabin in windy conditions. You will also get lots of exercise climbing up and down the stairs getting to the saloon and galley. Most aft cabins have a fwd cabin that's great for storage.

The fwd cabin boat generally gets you a smaller saloon and the galley and saloon are sometimes together. You give up the sundeck for the cockpit so cocktail hour is right on the water. I prefer being slightly elevated on my sundeck with the choice of closing the windows (isinglass) if desired.

I think you'll pay more for a sundeck of the same size and use more fuel due to it's heaver weight.

So the location of the stateroom in many ways dictates the design of the boat and goes far beyond sleeping considerations.

Last edited:
We are looking at both aft cabin & cockpit boats.

Our dilemma is, how do you handle the awkward boarding & disembarking with the aftcabin?

If the aft cabin has a swim platform and stairs to the sundeck then boarding from a floating dock is easy. Otherwise on the side just forward of the sundeck.

If the aft cabin has a swim platform and stairs to the sundeck then boarding from a floating dock is easy. Otherwise on the side just forward of the sundeck.

The ones that we've looked at has a ladder from the swim platform and the side entries are 4-5 steps up.

Forward & Aft Cabin / Forward & Aft Cabin / Forward & Aft Cabin

Tollycraft / Tollycraft / Tollycraft - What more can I say???!!!!

tollycraft (Power) Boats For Sale

34' to 40' Tolly for overall very low costs with great cruising/hooking comforts in a bullet proof vessel with a great Tollycraft Forum and parts links for back up! 44' to 48' Tolly are also quite affordable for even more room during great cruising or hooking pleasures.

:speed boat::speed boat::speed boat::dance::dance::dance:

Attachments

• TO in Delta Tules 100_0429.jpg
    TO in Delta Tules 100_0429.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Craig, Taune, Linda Morning Coffee.jpg
    Craig, Taune, Linda Morning Coffee.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 81
Forward & Aft Cabin / Forward & Aft Cabin / Forward & Aft Cabin

Tollycraft / Tollycraft / Tollycraft - What more can I say???!!!!

tollycraft (Power) Boats For Sale

34' to 40' Tolly for overall very low costs with great cruising/hooking comforts in a bullet proof vessel with a great Tollycraft Forum and parts links for back up! 44' to 48' Tolly are also quite affordable for even more room during great cruising or hooking pleasures.

:speed boat::speed boat::speed boat::dance::dance::dance:

How is the boarding?

If you like Tollly's you'll really like equivalent Ocean Alexanders. The 39-42-44-46 are all Monk hull designs as is the 44 Tolly. Very similar boats. the 42-46 are aft cockpit/sundeck boats, which is the best of all worlds. Thinking of putting our 44 up for sale this September...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom