Old 03-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #38
bobofthenorth
Guru

City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
The only reason I'll probably have a dedicated chartplotter in the future is to add RADAR.
I expect its only a matter of time until someone writes a plugin(s) to implement radar display on O. Aside from that very real and constant improvement, what I most like about OpenCPN is the complete lack of nonsense. I can right click a route or waypoint underway and get instant access to whatever I am likely to want to do. I don't get the phone number at the marina or walking directions to the nearest pub or a picture of the skyline - but I don't want or need that crap either.

As far as the supposedly unreliable computer to operate O goes, I've got two identical laptops onboard right now, both with O and all the charts loaded. I've got 2 pucks that connect to those computers plus a Garmin eTrex with a USB connection. If SWMBO is onboard her computer is a third backup. If all that fails then I'll take my chances with my eyeballs, a paper chart and a depthfinder.

A couple of years ago I took an introductory celestial nav course. At the start of the class we went "round the horn" stating why we were taking the class. I think I said "for a lark" but one of the kids said he was going to cross oceans and he wanted to carry a sextant as a backup. The instructor said "are you nuts? - if you want a backup take another GPS - if that isn't enough - take another one." That's the way I feel about this "reliable purpose built electronics" refrain. I think my level of redundancy is considerably ahead of anyone who depends on a single chartplotter no matter how well waterproofed it may be. YMMV
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote