The ultimate trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Midshipman

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Nord Havn
Vessel Make
How would you build the ultimate trawler - with all your thought provoking idea's and discussion, include pictures, also what size should the ultimate Trawler be? Does size matter?

Below are links that serve as springboards or starting places for this dialog. One of the vessels is a sailboat, but the way this partcular boat came into being is amazing and worthy in this dialog forum.

The Ultimate Best Cruising Sailboat Yacht - Pilothouse, Lifting Keel, Dinghy Garage, Luxury, AeroRig, "FOR SALE" - The Best Sailboat, The Best Sailing Yacht, The Best Cruising Sailboat, The Best World Cruiser, The Best Bluewater Passagemaker

Grand Banks 42 Heritage Motor Yacht | Grand Banks 42 For Sale

Everybody's "perfect trawler" will be different ... WAY different lots of the time. Ever heard of a perfect mate? House? There are millions of them all. It's the owners that are different.

Perhaps someone should start a computer dating service but w potential skippers and boats. I wonder if my "match" would be my Willard 30 or one of the other boats I lust after?

I think the perfect trawler is one that makes a lot of money.

Ray

Greetings,
Mr. Mid'. I think you've got your answer in the reply by Mr. mb. Even if one designs and builds one's own trawler there will be compromises unless you get terribly foolish and include ALL possible options. Two galleys (one up, one down), Multiple engines (with the ability to run on one or several) and heaven forbid, at LEAST 15 anchors and associated rode etc.
Mr. mb. Even better than a dating service, how about a multiple choice questionnaire computer program listing all possible configurations and sizes of vessels. One could plug in one's desires, push a button and walla-a vessel (make and model) that meets most or all of your choices.

So if I'm dreaming, and I'm basing this on what I know now (which isn't much), I'd like:

1.) Stand-up engine room.
2.) Semi-displacement hull...not sure about this yet though.
3.) Capable of up to maybe 12-15knts max (semi-displacement of course).
4.) Mid master berth
5.) Correct sized engines. For the speeds above, probably a couple of 130 or 150 HP diesels. I believe it would be enough to push her to those speeds. Not sure though. Would like to have John Deere's (Luggers). If the hull is displacement, then a couple of 75HP's or so.
6.) If twins, then twin skegs to protect props & rudders
7.) 38-42 feet
8.) 1000+ mile range
9.) Some type of get home capability if single engine

Example of some of the criteria met in a boat:

Great Harbor Trawlers

Really like George's designs too.

462 Seahorse Diesel Duck

So yeah as long as I'm dreamin', something like this. :D

Ultimate for what purpose? Where are you going and who is going with you and how fast do you want to get there and what is your comfort tolerance and once you are there what are you going to do and how rich are you and what are your seamanship and mechanical skills? Just to get started...

How would you build the ultimate trawler - with all your thought provoking idea's and discussion, include pictures, also what size should the ultimate Trawler be? Does size matter?

Below are links that serve as springboards or starting places for this dialog. One of the vessels is a sailboat, but the way this partcular boat came into being is amazing and worthy in this dialog forum.

The Ultimate Best Cruising Sailboat Yacht - Pilothouse, Lifting Keel, Dinghy Garage, Luxury, AeroRig, "FOR SALE" - The Best Sailboat, The Best Sailing Yacht, The Best Cruising Sailboat, The Best World Cruiser, The Best Bluewater Passagemaker

It's a nice thought provoking exercise....however the "utimate" trawler would NOT be the very moment you got underway in it on your first cruise.

Actually...usually once built...still in the yard, right after it tuned from a aper design to reality is when you notice the 1000 flaws in her...kinda like people...it's what you can live with that matters...:thumb:

Mr RT!

I assumed that's how it would work. Feed the computer w all the information from the boater and the perfect boat would be just a click away.

Not sure I'd bother to build my own with so many cool boats already designed by some pretty good naval architects.

I'm with you.

She'll be called Tardis......about 15' LOA on the outside and around 55' inside. This keeps moorage, haulouts, paint, and other costs rather low. Nuclear power I think, unlimited power (and speed) if required, also unlimited range and no worries about where the next fuel dock might be. The batteries will always be charged with no concern for running them flat, and the powerplant would produce unlimited fresh water as well (from waste heat)......

A bit of development work required, but it's doable........:thumb:

The ultimate boat is parked in my berth.

The ultimate wife shares it with me.

The ultimate children tag along with us wherever we go.

The ultimate cruising grounds are located where our boat is kept.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary ;)

The ultimate boat is parked in my berth.

The ultimate wife shares it with me.

The ultimate children tag along with us wherever we go.

The ultimate cruising grounds are located where our boat is kept.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary ;)

Right on craig. Wait how can you have the ultimate in your berth when I have it in mine??

YES CRAIG

We had the whole world to choose from and we have chosen.

But I chose my ex-wife too.

Two perfect wife's?

I was really excited to get home today to read all the responses. I like the way all of you think! The motorsailer is very enticing. The fleming is so nice. The almagamation of these thoughts in the collective group are fantastic~ Everyone has wonderful thoughts and many ideas. Lets toss in a few veribles....what boat designers (living) would be numeral uno, what hull type, what hull material to make the hull and why? Does size mater? What is an optimal beam - My philosophy - less is better, quality and comfort is essential.

Wow!! the Mona Lisa looks terrific wonder what she cost? I don't care for sale boats but i fell i love with this one instantly

I think it would be a "Convertible".

Convertible from single to twins if one ever needed it.

Convertible from single head to twin heads when one breaks.

Convertible from full displacement to planing hull when you need the speed.

Convertible from Pilothouse to Fly Bridge when the weather was perfect.

Convertible from 50 to 30 ft. length when you pull into a marina.

Convertible to a stand-up engine room when you need service.

Convertible from a trawler to a sport fisher when you want to throw a wake back at a waterway abuser.

Convertible to a Coast Guard Cutter when the go-fast boats pass you on both sides at once.

Convertible from a mono-hull to a catamaran when you have to have the in-laws aboard. (separate hulls)

Convertible from a teak trimmed beauty to a homogenized. no-maintenance vessel when it's time to varnish.

Sunchaser I am sort of with you.
The Watson 60 is my choice. I have a 60 (Big Blue) tied up not far from me.
The 48 is the most small boat I have ever inspected. Near nigh perfect.
In NZ a week or so ago and saw for the first time a Dashew FPB 65 once in Napier and then at anchor up at Russel.
Was going to take a photo of it but had gone by the time we got back.
Still not sure on the Dashews, great ocean crossers butnot enough outside space for me in the tropics.

Attachments

• Watson 48 b.jpg
    Watson 48 b.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 3,237
The ultimate boat would seem to change with the operators age.

At 70 I would prefer a custom build of an aluminum boat 39 long 7.6 wide Atkin style ,Box keel, reverse deadrise ,beachable , that would fit into a std shipping container.

The transit time it takes to travel could be done by the boat in the box, we would fly over to cruise. .

This opens the entire world to a low cost boat , that need not be oceangoing.

The Euro Canals , the Dalmation coast, New Zeeland , Terra Del Fuego , China , all from the recliner in a 7487.

Such a skinney boat (sez the computer) would run 18K at -5 gph, or 12K at 1.5 gph.

The boat would be built for 2 but could sleep/feed 6 in a very crowded pinch.

Is it a"trawler"?

Nope it would liik like a 1929 Commuter , but it would easily travel the world. High and dry.

Last edited:
To paraphrase, "Sailors plan boats, God laughs."

Sunchaser I am sort of with you.
The Watson 60 is my choice. I have a 60 (Big Blue) tied up not far from me.
The 48 is the most small boat I have ever inspected. Near nigh perfect.
In NZ a week or so ago and saw for the first time a Dashew FPB 65 once in Napier and then at anchor up at Russel.
Was going to take a photo of it but had gone by the time we got back.
Still not sure on the Dashews, great ocean crossers butnot enough outside space for me in the tropics.

Hiya Benn, how's things. Lucky fellow getting over for the Art Deco week. How did you find my old stamping grounds? Ironically, they had not 'rediscovered' their art deco when we lived there. That all came later. When we lived there they were almost ashamed of it, and used to just paint it all the same drab colours, instead if picking it out with contrasting colours like it needs to be.
I had my trailer yachts on the hard fully rigged and ready to go at the Napier Sailing club, which I'm sure you would have visited. In fact my boat park backed on to the Ahuriri Tavern. Is it still it's original hexagonal shape, or have they altered/enlarged it and ruined the look?
We enjoyed many happy sails out of there, but the only problem was, no reasonably close anchorage, so you could'nt really cruise. That's why in those parts a trailer boat was the way to go. We could tow her to Lakes Taupo, Rotoiti, or up to the Bay of Islands. That's where we did our cruising.
I also love those Watson 60s. In fact one of those would be as good as a Nordy I think. They are made in NZ aren't they..?

Last edited:
I think the "ultimate trawler" is the one in your slip with a full fuel tank, no mortgage, no time restraints, and the bride loves it. Doesn't matter what color your engine is, no anchor specifics, twin or single screw, electronics or not..... Just go and do.

The ultimate trawler is the one you come home to after a big boat show and say "ahhhh".

My ultimate trawler is an Eagle 32 w a 54hp Isuzu engine.

Back
Top Bottom