Who Pays?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As mentioned in a previous post, our survey next week will be covered 50% by the seller. But the important part for us as the buyers is that I arranged the survey with the surveyor, and as far as he knows, it is being done strictly for us. I will of course, provide the seller with a copy of the survey, as that is only fair.

The cost for a half lift (90 minutes in the slings) is $350, plus $160 for the pressure wash, at the Mosquito Creek Marina in North Vancouver. For a 42' vessel. I am covering that.

So... What have we learned here? There is no right answer :thumb:

Greetings,

aaaand-send.gif

There's supposed to be an answer here?

Each to their own I guess. But the norm would be for the buyer to foot the bill. If you can get the seller to pay part, then that is icing on the cake.:ermm:

We pay about $800 for a haulout, pressure wash, bottom prep, bottom paint, and re-launch. The boat is in the yard for a week and this cost does not include the extra cost of using a more expensive paint than the yard's "basic" paint. So our total cost is probably about a grand plus the cost of polishing both props.

The cost for a haulout, pressure wash, hang in the slings for an hour, and re-launch was less than $200 for our last insurance survey IIRC.
Cheap by Aussie standard pricing. Last time I checked $800 would buy haul/relaunch and 2 days out the water in between. DIY all else. 3 years back, haul-out, on slings an hour, was around $400.
Marin, would you really let a buyer dictate where the buyer gets the boat gets hauled? I`d co-operate but want final say, it`s still my boat.

The norm is for the prospective buyer to pay for the haulout and survey. Yes, it might be negotiable, but it would be very unusual for the seller to pay.

A friend and I are about to do a short haul on his DeFever 40, just a couple of hull numbers past mine, except his is twin screw.

Our quote to hang in the slings during the yards lunch hour is 3.00 USD per foot - 120 bucks. St. Augustine Central Fl USA east coast for our Oz members.

We’re measuring the rudders.

Just another data point on the cost of a short haul for a survey.

In my earlier post in this thread I said I had not met a surveyor I thought was worth his fee. I did not mean to imply that there are no surveyors out there who are not worth trusting. Obviously, I don’t know about all surveyors. It may just be my bad luck, and the fact that I live in FL.

The buyer pays, selects the yard, and owns the survey. The seller can refuse the yard, but will likely loose the sale.

Mike

A friend and I are about to do a short haul on his DeFever 40, just a couple of hull numbers past mine, except his is twin screw.

Our quote to hang in the slings during the yards lunch hour is 3.00 USD per foot - 120 bucks. St. Augustine Central Fl USA east coast for our Oz members.

We’re measuring the rudders.

Just another data point on the cost of a short haul for a survey.

In my earlier post in this thread I said I had not met a surveyor I thought was worth his fee. I did not mean to imply that there are no surveyors out there who are not worth trusting. Obviously, I don’t know about all surveyors. It may just be my bad luck, and the fact that I live in FL.

The buyer pays, selects the yard, and owns the survey. The seller can refuse the yard, but will likely loose the sale.

Mike

In my case, I selected the surveyor but the seller selected the yard. It didn't matter to me, I had no experience with any of the local yards.

The boat was located 50 or so miles from town and the owners wanted to take one last overnight trip on it to the yard. Again, it didn't matter to me.

And in my experience the survey belongs to the person who paid for it, usually the buyer. In other words if the buyer does not buy, the surveyor can't give a copy to the seller, or another prospect, without the buyers permission.
Steve W

That holds true in real estate

I have never come across a boat surveyor I thought was worth employing, regardless of who was paying him or her.

While I am not now, or likely ever again to be in the boat buying market, I surveyed the little DeFever myself before making a offer to the seller.

I spoke with the underwriters at BoatUS, a managing general agency For CIGNA, and they issued port risk insurance.

3 years later I submitted 40,000 USD of invoices for materials I had bought, and they issued a full all risk yacht policy from Brownsville TX to Eastport ME, with normal berthing behind our house in Central Fl. No surveyor involved.

Flame away.

Mike

No flame; Boat US will pay per the policy wording should there be a claim. I'd be taking a very close look at the policy before you have a loss.

The usual requirement for an All Risk, Agreed Value policy is that yacht underwriting requires a survey when a vessel is older that 10 years old and over 27' in length. The survey is commissioned by the buyer, and almost always requires a haulout.

[/LIST]

Good points Marin and Walt. I have had some folks say I don't need surveys, but if I want to protect myself as a buyer, then I get the surveys done.

Couldn't agree more.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom