Erie Canal Transit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vahevala

Vessel Name
Vahevala
Vessel Make
52’ Kristen Custom Flybridge Trawler
During 2nd stage of delivery cruise of our "new to us" trawler we will be cruising the Erie Canal some time in early May. We're still working on the dates and wonder who has any experience with cruising the canal so early in the season. Am aware of budget cuts affecting lock operators but have read that canal should be open and ready for full season from a "reputable source". Preliminary plans are for leaving the Poughkeepsie area on or around May3-4 to the canal. Will be taking the Oswego Canal then to Lake Ontario for final leg to her new home in Wilson, NY. I'm figuring 7-9 days. Does this sound reasonable? Any suggestions, advice and/or editorial comments welcome. Thanks for anticipated answers!

Greetings,
Mr. V. I did the Erie from Albany (Federal lock) to Oswego (Lake Ontario) about 15 years ago in mid May. About the ONLY thing that may be applicable at this point is water levels. That particular May was very wet and there was a LOT of flotsam washed out from the feeder creeks. There was enough wood floating around some of the lock stations to build a house. Lock walls were quite rusty. Should be quite doable in 7 days or less.

We went through early last year, though a few weeks later than you plan.

Here's our voyage Adventures of Tanglewood: Memorial Day, West Point, High Noon, 21 Cannon Salute.

Check out the New York State Canal Corp web site. It contains excellent info on any current navigational issues, plus details on bridge clearances, etc. They also post when the canal is planned to open.

Yes, there have been NYS staff cuts, just like everywhere else on the planet. But I think the demise of the canal is greatly overstated. Go for it an have a good time. 7 days will do it, but going slower only enhances the experience.

As stated earlier, debris will be greater early in the year, but just keep an eye out. It's not a big deal.

+1 on the fenders, and fender boards would help too. Old lines that you don't mind getting dirty. And gloves to handle them.

We only did the canal once, and then only half-way. We look forward to returning to do the whole thing one day.

This is a great no stress trip.

Plan on taking lunch at one town and dinner at another.

Tieups are free , small electric free and wi fi can usually be found.

Most tieups are alongside a low shore wall , so fenders from town to town need not even be adjusted.

Near the end , is Waterford ,a great tiny town that will hold mail for you, amazing the local Pizza is almost up to NYC standards.

Good walkable provision / laundry stop , bring your cart .

On the Hudson there are enough anchorages , but with trains on both shores , seldom quiet .

Marinas have the same noise hassles , so why bother paying?

Are you all set on your air draft? 21' will do it for the route you have planned, but that's at normal pool level. If the pool is higher, you lose height.

I'm figuring 7-9 days. Does this sound reasonable? Any suggestions, advice and/or editorial comments welcome.

Easily doable in that time frame as already stated.
Waterford, Canajoharie, Herkimer, Rome, Sylvan Beach, Brewerton, Phoenix, Oswego are all good stops with free tie ups You probably alrady know that.
Enjoy the trip!!

Editorial comment: if you can sleep during the train and expressway noise at Canajoharie you have truely accomplished a great deed LOL But I like to stop there.

I am a huge fan of the NY State Canal System (spent all of August in there last year). At that time of year the most important feature on the boat will be heat.

I am also a museum fan and love all the small town museums on the system but the one you must not pass up is the art gallery and museum in Canajoharie, it is truly amazing if you are into that kind of thing.

What a cool adventure! Please post your trip with lots of pics...

In the spring water levels due to snow melt and rain dictate. Early May should be OK. My parents keep a Mainship 34 on Seneca Lake, and typically launch at the end of April or early May on the Seneca Canal. There has been the occasion when they couldn't get under the bridge to get to their slip without stripping the canvas or just waiting a week.

http://www.canals.ny.gov/waterlevels/index.html Water Levels - New York State Canals

Thanks for all the great advice, info and links to your own personal adventures! Have the clearance to make the trip without any trouble. Mother Nature will dictate how warm we'll be (we do have portable heaters). My crew will be coming from Nashville and Houston and one local WNY'er but all native to this region so somewhat used to the chill factor. Will certainly be cataloguing our trip to share. Again, thanks! Love this trawler forum!

Back
Top Bottom