View Single Post
Old 04-09-2009, 02:54 PM   #9
timjet
Guru

RE: Suggestions for a used trawler

Fellow Boaters,

Thanks all for your replies, especially to John Baker and Marin Faure for your valuable input. I live and will cruise on the west coast of FL and I am not exaggerating when I say there are plenty of boats to choose from.
I will say that my $50,000 is a starting price and may find I will have to increase that a bit to get what I want.
There are plenty of bayliners for sale in this area and quite frankly I did not consider such a boat for the reasons several of you have mentioned. I will take another look at that.

I am just in the beginning stages of looking and have not sold my sailboat yet. My wife and I are planning a week long cruise on it down south toward sanibel island as we've done for the last several years. However this will probably be our last as we will probably prepare it for sale when we return.

With the economy being what it is, my guess is that prices for used boats have dropped a bit. I'm counting on that and am hopeful that $50,000 will buy more than it used to. I'm prepared for that when selling my sailboat.

One last comment or perhaps question. In asking questions about trawlers, my boatyard owner has mentioned that teak decks seem to be a maintenance issue due to the expense of repairing leaks which he mentioned seems be a common problem with them. The marine trader line which is a popular boat here in FL seem mostly to have teak decks. Additionally the boatyard owner mentioned the expense and probability of having to repair fuel tanks on this boat as well. I'm familiar somewhat with the issue of moisture in diesel with ethanol added, but he mentioned the fuel tank issue was more of a problem with marine traders. I have not narrowed my search to this boat, it's just they are so common here.
Anyone care to comment?

Thanks,
Tim
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote