Title question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Some of us are in the position to know what we want but have to makeshift things from radio shack and home depot just to get our boats underwy everyday. Late nights of reading and tinkering gets old day after day."

I would have to disagree about "makeshift" , many box store items are superior to "Modern Marine" boat items.

One example would be flaired copper tubing for FW systems compared to marine clear plastic water hose that grows grass inside .

The OTR truck and RV folks have other items that are solutions for common boat problems that beat "marine yard pro installed " by miles.

"Some of us are in the position to know what we want but have to makeshift things from radio shack and home depot just to get our boats underwy everyday. Late nights of reading and tinkering gets old day after day."

I would have to disagree about "makeshift" , many box store items are superior to "Modern Marine" boat items.

One example would be flaired copper tubing for FW systems compared to marine clear plastic water hose that grows grass inside .

The OTR truck and RV folks have other items that are solutions for common boat problems that beat "marine yard pro installed " by miles.

All true and I should have used "finger dock engineer" rather than makeshift....:D

Who Does Good Work And Is Honest?

I would think going to a yard that specializes in makeovers of yachts would be a much simpler approach.
She should ask whoever does the work to show her their copy of AC AND DC ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS ON BOARD BOATS - Published July 2012 (American National Standard) published by ABYC E-11 (ANS) 2012.

Finding a good honest electrician is like trying to find a good honest automobile mechanic. Ask a lot of boat owners in your area. Boatyard owners also are a source, but they may be in the business so the answer could be biased. Ask a marine surveyor. Maybe a marine architect in the area.

She should ask whoever does the work to show her their copy of AC AND DC ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS ON BOARD BOATS - Published July 2012 (American National Standard) published by ABYC E-11 (ANS) 2012.

Finding a good honest electrician is like trying to find a good honest automobile mechanic. Ask a lot of boat owners in your area. Boatyard owners also are a source, but they may be in the business so the answer could be biased. Ask a marine surveyor. Maybe a marine architect in the area.

I'm not talking about some local yard or boat electrician working out of a van...I'm talking yards that cater to redoing the interior of mega yachts.

GG is talking about a shore ower connection that may cost more than my whole trawler.....different ballgame and letting some local yard who can barely handle a builge pump rewire isn't what I had in mind.

I agree with the marine architect...especially if GG can't put the pieces togther where a project manager could take over...at least then the NA could hopefully start a smooth transition of the boat.

Yes, westwinds I am in real estate, and development/construction at that, but, I know nothing of boat construction. I have heard so many speak of "house electricians" pretending to know marine electrics. I would be very nervouse about hiring my house electrician to work on my boat. But, I also deal with a lot of jerks who try and get over on me because they think I'm a "stupid female", so I try to be as informed as I can with everything and always get more than one opinion as to not put myself in a position to be taken advantage of. I have spoken to an electrical yard in Florida and an electrician in New England. They both seem to be in the same range and speak of the same equipment needed. A couple other electrical yards here in New England that I spoke to had no clue what to do about a European boat, so I figure I had better be very careful with whomever I do end up going with.

I am curious... Is there no boat in US waters with US electrical that suits your needs?

Yes, westwinds I am in real estate, and development/construction at that, but, I know nothing of boat construction. I have heard so many speak of "house electricians" pretending to know marine electrics. I would be very nervouse about hiring my house electrician to work on my boat. But, I also deal with a lot of jerks who try and get over on me because they think I'm a "stupid female", so I try to be as informed as I can with everything and always get more than one opinion as to not put myself in a position to be taken advantage of. I have spoken to an electrical yard in Florida and an electrician in New England. They both seem to be in the same range and speak of the same equipment needed. A couple other electrical yards here in New England that I spoke to had no clue what to do about a European boat, so I figure I had better be very careful with whomever I do end up going with.

OK, looks like you have more experience than I do on locating a good electrician. You might consider the services of a marine architect that could draw up specifications and plans for setting this up, then send out to bid. You could hold back some of the money and have the marine architect do the final inspection before final payment.

OK, looks like you have more experience than I do on locating a good electrician. You might consider the services of a marine architect that could draw up specifications and plans for setting this up, then send out to bid. You could hold back some of the money and have the marine architect do the final inspection before final payment.

These days, good contractors are hard too find. Sometimes I think it's more luck than skill...:lol:

A marine architect to supervise might be a great idea.

If you are buying a foreign made and foreign flag vessel to be imported into the US you will have to pay import duty at a low rate of 1.5% of value plus the cost of a customs broker $750.00 to $1,000.00. However there are some exceptions depending on trade agreements. There are no import duries on boats built in Turkey brought intothe US for example.
Then you will pay sales tax on the value to the taxing jurisdiction where the boat will be berthed which is the same for any boat purchased.
Some countries charge a fee to delete the documentation in that country, you need to find out if that is the case and whether you or the seller will pay. Often you need to show proof of this foreign deletion to register or document in the US.
Before you purchase a boat from a foreign country check with a documentation company to find out what you will need for paperwork to document or register in the US. Make sure they know you are bringing a foreign flag vessel into the US and see what paperwork you might need like a Master Carpenters Certificate, a Manufacturers Statement of Origin.

These days, good contractors are hard too find. Sometimes I think it's more luck than skill...:lol:

A marine architect to supervise might be a great idea.

I have a brother, a general engineer because he has done so many things, who would agree with you as he has to deal with all sorts of contractors. He has gotten very good at defining exactly what he wants in his specifications and the contractor has to come across to get that final payment when he does an inspecton of their work. :speed boat:

I think you will do just great with the trawler, I see careful planning and a desire to learn so you expose yourself here for that reason. There has been a lot of negativity on cruisersforum and here on trawlerforum and I am trying to understand why. You are going for it, but at a measured pace.

After reading this, I ordered an abstract title from the USCG for $25. A week later it arrived by mail, even though I asked for it via fax. Anyway, very cool, it shows every owner since she arrived from Taiwan on September 27, 1988.

Interestingly it also lists an amount of money, not sure if it was the total cost or the amount of the loan on her. If it is the price paid, it was a good market for TTs since the original owner paid $95k and sold her 5 years later $80k. That owner sold it 5 years later for $76k.

After reading this, I ordered an abstract title from the USCG for $25. A week later it arrived by mail, even though I asked for it via fax. Anyway, very cool, it shows every owner since she arrived from Taiwan on September 27, 1988.

Interestingly it also lists an amount of money, not sure if it was the total cost or the amount of the loan on her. If it is the price paid, it was a good market for TTs since the original owner paid $95k and sold her 5 years later $80k. That owner sold it 5 years later for $76k.
I'm pretty sure it's what is paid (not loaned) because the words used are "consideration received"...

While important to verify sales tax in your home state or following a broken chain of documetation...it doen't do much anything for finding liens.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom