Is this an Owens?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Giggitoni

Guru
Vessel Name
Mahalo Moi
Vessel Make
1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
We were exploring the Napa River the other week and captured the attached photo. Does anyone know the make? Craig, do you think it's an Owens?

Attachments

• photo-(5).jpg
    photo-(5).jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 347
We were exploring the Napa River the other week and captured the attached photo. Does anyone know the make? Craig, do you think it's an Owens?

Almost 100% sure that it is an Owens. Lapstreak plywood hull. Probably a late sixties model.

Brings back memories of messing around boat yards in my teens.

JohnP

I think you're right. Since I posted the question this morning, I found a couple of photos of Owens boats.

Attachments

• resize.jpg
    resize.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 1,311
  • Trailmaster.jpg
    Trailmaster.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 2,442
I think it might be an early sixties Owens, mines a '67 and they had been making fiberglass boats for a few years before that IIRC. Could also be a Trojan as it looks similar to one parked about 4 berths down from mine. I'll take a look at the Trojan this weekend and compare it to the photo Ray.

Those are definitely the classic cruiser lines I enjoy. :)

Those are definitely the classic cruiser lines I enjoy. :)
Me too! A friend had an Owens Flagship in the late 70s and kept her in Miner Slough. To me, these designs are what I expect to see in a classic boat. Can't wait to see yours.

Go to my profile Ray, there is a very poor quality photo of it inside my enclosed berth. I'm waiting to meet up with Al on the water to get an avatar quality shot.

Oh an Owen's indeed. A very good boat ..... as good or better that CC, Fairliner, Tolly Craft and many other plywood boats of the time. They lacked some of the style of CC, Fairliner and even Tollys because of their odd angular auto like styling of their cabin's and round ports mixed w very dissimilar lines on the sides of the cabins. Fairliner and Chris Craft had some flair fwd that gave their hulls some flair (pun int) that Tolly and Owens lacked. Chris Craft had a concave hull bottom while Tollies and Fairliner had straight lines transversly. Owens however had a more than subtle convex curve to their bottoms over most of the length of the boat up to the bow section. The Owens in the mid fifties were offered w 100% varnished exteriors in their 26' Express model.
I met a couple in their late 80's selling their Owens 26 and over the years they've been all up and down the coast. They were very knowledgable boaters and liked their Ownes boat very much.

Looks like an Owens 26. Chartered one for my honeymoon. It had a Holden (GM) gas/petrol engine. Basic, but a lot of fun.
Wonder if the boat is still alive, marriage is not.

I think it is a Trojan. The very high and short bow rail is one reason. Another reason is that it lacks the extremely large, heavy bow anchor line guide which Owens usually have. A third reason is just the lines of the cabin sides are a little sleeker as with the Trojans. I would say about 1961.

Last edited:
LOL! I met Jesse Owens in July 1969. Very inspirational man. Hey, Craig, perhaps you should name your boat "Jesse". I still think the boat in my original post is an Owens. However, now you guys are forcing me to stop and ask!

Ray

LOL! I met Jesse Owens in July 1969. Very inspirational man. Hey, Craig, perhaps you should name your boat "Jesse". I still think the boat in my original post is an Owens. However, now you guys are forcing me to stop and ask!

Ray

:)

We are pretty set on our name after spending last Saturday aboard Ray. Pretty much sums up the feeling we both have while sitting back watching the ducks play.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom