6000miles to Rio in 2 months

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hot and humid would be too much for me. Wonder what the water temp would be 70?

Currently in Trinidad, the water temps 81. It doesn't get much cooler. The bug we called Spike, landed on our decks when we were in French Guiana. His relatives can get a lot bigger. :eek:

Attachments

• FRECH GUIANA 006.jpg
    FRECH GUIANA 006.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 108
Winter water temp around the island of Bonaire runs 78~80. I know that is west by a bit, but it is what I remember.
I first wrote 80 then changed to 70....Geez.. from what your saying then the air would be almost as hard to breath as the water!
No thank you, I'll be content with the cold waters of the pacific northwest and rain

Currently in Trinidad, the water temps 81. It doesn't get much cooler. The bug we called Spike, landed on our decks when we were in French Guiana. His relatives can get a lot bigger. :eek:

gooly gee. I'll bet that guy can eat lotsa skeeters?...are there any mermaids out there:)

Greetings,
Mr. 45. That appears to be a male rhinoceros (scarab) beetle and as such doesn't eat skeeters....Believe it or not, in spite of their size, strong fliers (mentioned that specifically to keep the pilots in the group happy).
Now, on with the Rio reports!!!!

Last edited:
Believe it or not, in spite of their size, strong fliers (mentioned that specifically to keep the pilots in the group happy).

It's a damn good thing they are strong flyers as unless someone fits a peg leg to Spike, he's going to be walking in circles. (Always to his left.):popcorn:

Hello Almao, Very interesting what you are doing. One question; how do you want to import her into Brazil. I sold my Bavaria 49 in Europe because I could not get permission to import her.

Could you imagine meeting spike on a motorcycle at 55.

Sd

back home. I left the boat in Luperon-dominican Republic. impossible to do what I wanted, it is a journey to be made calmly and slowly to take advantage of the route.

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa, Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

Alemao good to hear that you are in safety back in Brazil. What are the plans now?

Cees

back home. I left the boat in Luperon-dominican Republic. impossible to do what I wanted, it is a journey to be made calmly and slowly to take advantage of the route.

Glad that you are safely home. It sounds like there are stories to be told. Pictures too I hope.

I'll bet it feels good to be home...:).....

Good to be at home. I'm learnong all the time. I got waves with 8' hight and 23 knots as wind and the boat and the crew survived as well :)
I got many pictures that I'll lost soon.
In Georgetown I learned about Luperon-Dominican Republic as the best and cheap place to leave the boat.
I intend to make the Caribean as the second part of the trip in the end of May and go to Trinidad.

I'm sorry the mistakes, i'm writing in the car :)

Good to be at home. I'm learnong all the time. I got waves with 8' hight and 23 knots as wind and the boat and the crew survived as well :)
I got many pictures that I'll lost soon.
In Georgetown I learned about Luperon-Dominican Republic as the best and cheap place to leave the boat.
I intend to make the Caribean as the second part of the trip in the end of May and go to Trinidad.

Thanks, we're looking forward to seeing the pictures:)

Good surprises: gentle Bahamians and also the people from Caicos and also in Dominican Republic.
Good fuel, food and dock prices.

It sounds like you are off to a good start, seems you travelled through the Bahamas and Turks and Caicos how long did that part take and how many stops, it is a dream trip to me.
thanks
Steve W

Hi Steve, I made this leg in one month and 9 stops. Now I know that this trip must be made in two months to know the nice places that we pass thru. I intend to make more 2 or 3 legs

Fort Lauderdale- Key Biscayne
Key Biscayne - Gun Cay
Gun Cay - Chub Cay
Chub Cay - Nassau
Nassau - Allans Cay
Allans Cay - Staniel Cay
Staniel Cay - Cave Cay
Cave Cay - Georgetown
Georgetown - north of Long Island
north of Long Island - Crooked Island
Crooked Island - Turcs and Caicos (Providenciales)
Providenciales - Luperon (Dominican Replublic)

I have problems with the battery banks. They are charged by the alternators or by the generator, great! but all of the batteries, engine and service, are used with the inverter. I have to make a brand new service batteries bank but I also separate for the consume banks .
My second trip leg, Luperon, Dominican Republic-Trinidad will start in the end of May.

I have problems with the battery banks. They are charged by the alternators or by the generator, great! but all of the batteries, engine and service, are used with the inverter. I have to make a brand new service batteries bank but I also separate for the consume banks .
My second trip leg, Luperon, Dominican Republic-Trinidad will start in the end of May.

I would isolate the engine starting battery and the gen starting battery from the others just to be safe

Ok, but how to isolate? the batteries have a lot of wires conected. Once I'll go to Luperon, I'll try to use the batteries switches, that I don't know if are working as well.
During the night, I'll try to switch off the engine batteries.

Ok, but how to isolate? the batteries have a lot of wires conected. Once I'll go to Luperon, I'll try to use the batteries switches, that I don't know if are working as well.
During the night, I'll try to switch off the engine batteries.

I can just see the mass of wires. Sounds to me like people have added things in the past by just wireing directly to the batteries creating a dangerous birds nest of wires. If this is the case and i were you I would install a dc distribution panel which hooks to the batteries then the loads are hooked to the output side of the panel. Someone in the forum must be familiar with these systems maybe you could start a new thread addressing this issue for help. I've done systems like this on small toy boats but never on one as large as yours. Do you have any electrical prints for your vessel?

I can just see the mass of wires. Sounds to me like people have added things in the past by just wireing directly to the batteries creating a dangerous birds nest of wires. If this is the case and i were you I would install a dc distribution panel which hooks to the batteries then the loads are hooked to the output side of the panel. Someone in the forum must be familiar with these systems maybe you could start a new thread addressing this issue for help. I've done systems like this on small toy boats but never on one as large as yours. Do you have any electrical prints for your vessel?

No, I tried an electrician but he charged me and the problem is the same. If you can solve my problem, I'll pay a ticket to you, and also we can navigate in the Caribbean sea. I intend to go in the end of May.

pictures #1

Just now I got time to upload some pictures

Attachments

• IMG_0467.jpg
    IMG_0467.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0469.jpg
    IMG_0469.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0473.jpg
    IMG_0473.jpg