Xantrex

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, that's it for me with Xantrex. They backed up on my deal that took weeks to work out. Now, they told me since it was July 24 that the unit was now out of warranty, and they will do nothing about it..../QUOTE]

Don: WTF? You started dialog with these guys back in mid June. And now it's out of warranty? I'm ....

The first unit crapped out just short of 11 months. It took about a month to get them to evaluate it, and ship a replacement. I installed it May 26th. We left for the Bahamas May 28th. It crapped out less than 2 weeks later. I started talking with them in June. They finally agreed to sell me an upgraded unit with my paying the difference. I agreed as I did not want another of the same kind. They took my credit card info and said they would send me a shipment tracking number. After I heard nothing, I phoned to check shipping info. Said they would call back. Nothing. Monday morning I sent an e-mail checking status. Guy called and said since it is July 24th it is out of warranty. They would sell me another unit of the same or upgraded, but nothing else. I said it was unacceptable. He said he would talk to his boss. No response. I am sick of fooling with them.

I have the e-mails, but they have a confidentiality notice on them, so I won't post them.

............... I have the e-mails, but they have a confidentiality notice on them, so I won't post them.

So what - Post Them. What are they going to do to you? What can they do to you? If a company is really screwing it's customers, the public has a right to know.

That "confidentiality notice" is BS..

So what - Post Them. What are they going to do to you? What can they do to you? If a company is really screwing it's customers, the public has a right to know.

That "confidentiality notice" is BS..

Scare tactics.

With no more communication from Xantrex, I came in from our mountain cabin tonight, and nearly tripped over a box in the garage. It was a new inverter from Xantrex. The Prosine model that we had discussed. I will just have to wait to see what was billed on my credit card. I have no idea why they decided to send it.

That's great to hear, Don. Lousy customer communication, though.

That's great to hear, Don. Lousy customer communication, though.

Thanks. I just checked my credit card, and the amount agreed on for the upgrade was charged. A lack of communications drive me crazy.:facepalm:Now don't say anything.:nonono:

It happened! Xantrex #3 died two weeks ago. #1 lasted six months. #2 died while the electrician was hooking it up. #3 died after about 8 months.

Electrician just ordered a different brand for charger #4.

How are the still in business?

It happened! Xantrex #3 died two weeks ago. #1 lasted six months. #2 died while the electrician was hooking it up. #3 died after about 8 months.

Electrician just ordered a different brand for charger #4.

How are the still in business?

Eric were #2 and #3 warranty replacements?

Yes, I'm only out of pocket some labor, and I may not have even paid more labor, I don't remember....but I've certainly paid a years tuition for the electrician's kid these last two years.

Evidently, Xantrex is refunding the initial cost of the unit as we go to a different provider.

Esh what a nightmare Eric!! What are you replacing with?

Not sure, he told me but it is gone now.

The real problem is that each time it goes out, since I'm only on the boat every two weeks or so, the batteries go down to 8 volts or so. And the batteries will only take so many insults. So far, the batteries are ok, but it has certainly lessened their lifespan.

I'm without my Xantrex 2500 "Freedom" as we speak. I'm told by my electric guy that they are pretty good machines. The inverter was zapped by the haul-out yard (grounding against engine). Meanwhile, I've got a cheap wallmart charger keeping the bats topped off, but I'm also plugged into the shore power. Hope your next machine brings you all the joy and rapture you dream of in a charger. Let us know what you end up with.....maybe I'll have to go that way too.

Not sure, he told me but it is gone now.

The real problem is that each time it goes out, since I'm only on the boat every two weeks or so, the batteries go down to 8 volts or so. And the batteries will only take so many insults. So far, the batteries are ok, but it has certainly lessened their lifespan.

Tell him you will accept nothing less then a Magnum:dance:

I'm without my Xantrex 2500 "Freedom" as we speak. I'm told by my electric guy that they are pretty good machines. The inverter was zapped by the haul-out yard (grounding against engine). .

Well, if you're saying what you seem to be saying, it wasn't installed properly because the fuse should have blown.

Be interesting to know how the Xantrex Freedom 25 differs from the original Heart Freedom 25.

We had a Heart Freedom 25 installed about 13 years ago and the charger side has been on whenever the boat is in its home slip or on groundpower in other harbors 24/7/365 since then. So far no problems at all.

I have read about Xantrex's poor customer service and support but I have never read anything actually describing the difference between Heart's original product and the product as sold today by Xantrex.

I'm without my Xantrex 2500 "Freedom" as we speak. I'm told by my electric guy that they are pretty good machines. The inverter was zapped by the haul-out yard (grounding against engine). Meanwhile, I've got a cheap wallmart charger keeping the bats topped off, but I'm also plugged into the shore power. Hope your next machine brings you all the joy and rapture you dream of in a charger. Let us know what you end up with.....maybe I'll have to go that way too.

Xantrex today makes a really lousy product. If your doing a replacement you have several good options. Be careful of using a plug in car type battery charger, they can overcharge your batteries since they don't run through the same cycle the marine units do. Also beware of electrical guys that tell you Xantrex makes a pretty good unit. A ground to the engine should have blown a fuse or tripped a breaker before taking out the unit. Chuck

Meanwhile, I've got a cheap wallmart charger keeping the bats topped off, but I'm also plugged into the shore power.

Depending on how the dock, your boat and the garage auto charger are built (how its grounded) you could be dumping 120V in the water.

Meanwhile, I've got a cheap wallmart charger keeping the bats topped off, but I'm also plugged into the shore power.

Depending on how the dock, your boat and the garage auto charger are built (how its grounded) you could be dumping 120V in the water.

Assuming you spent thousands of dollars on your boat, why would you use a "cheap wallmart charger" to keep your batteries charged? There's a good chance you will ruin the batteries and there's a chance you will start a fire on your boat.

Decent "smart" marine battery chargers can be had for a couple hundred dollars and up. Why risk it?

Me too, although mine is from Kragen. I bought one this time instead of borrowing one since this has become a regular need with Xantrex.

They have a new parent company who are out to save money. Xantrex return policy and repair are not very good. I will never buy or recommend them again.

I've had ProMarine smart chargers on 2 boats. I installed 1260c3 on our present boat 3 years ago. The 2 - 8Ds & 1 grp. 27 went from needing water added every 6 weeks to less than a quart a year. It runs 24-7 while in the slip & 4 to 8 hours a day when out. Have never had a problem which I appreciate from equipment that is used this much.

Is there a test I can perform to tell if my charger is 'unsafe'?

I don't know if they even have a repair facility. They don't seam too interested in returns, but just ask for proof of purchase and model number. One of the units that they didn't request back when opened later had a bad cooling fam. A cheap $8 computer fan fixed it. They didn't even want to break it down on the bench. It must be cheaper just to replace. It is an interesting concept. I have run it on both AC and battery. It is now a back up to my Prosine on the boat. I have also repaired a 40 amp charger for a backup. The charger was not a warranty item. This stuff has crapped out at the most inconvenient places.

Yep, they referred me to the service center in Bradenton, FL. He said not repairable. His answer was to ship me overnite a new unit at my expense. The old unit was out of warranty. We were held up in St. Augustine on the way to South Carolina.

I had called a couple of the other centers, but they said the same thing. The also did not have a replacement in stock. The only reason for replacing with the same unit was that I did not want to take the time to change the wiring set up. This just slid right in and connected up. A different unit would have required different wiring a fusing.

Last edited:
Next time try these guys. I've found them knowledgeable and responsive.

• TENNESSEE Inverter Sales and Service
    102 SCT Drive
    White House, TN 37188
    Ph. 615-285-0611

Next time try these guys. I've found them knowledgeable and responsive.

• TENNESSEE Inverter Sales and Service
    102 SCT Drive
    White House, TN 37188
    Ph. 615-285-0611

That's good info. I go up to Nashville for business and government meetings fairly frequently. I think I will take a couple of these units I couldn't get going up there. I just may have a couple of inverters for sale cheap.

Back
Top Bottom